TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by captain_sahaj, Oct 8, 2020.

1. NJturtlePower

NJturtlePower Living the Dream, Driving the Future!

Congrats on the new ride!

Two options.... #1 Via the climate controls on the Tesla app, or #2 on the in vehicle screen press the icon that looks like a FAN.

That's your HVAC controls, but to the LEFT of that screen you'll see a second tab which is the seat heat controls for both front and rear.

3 levels of heat in every seat position. :D

• Like x 1
  2. Murattukaalai

Murattukaalai Member

Getting 317 miles at 90%, at 244v charging at 51 mi/hr compared to my 2018 at 47 mi/hr

Attached Files:

3. TimothyHW3

TimothyHW3 Member

Is this a US LR AWD 2021 refresh on the screenshot?
    Do you happen to know the manufacturing date or at least the last 6 digits of the VIN?

4. Murattukaalai

Murattukaalai Member

Dec 23

5. panpan1

panpan1 Member

Those of you who are interested in/waiting for a heated steering wheel, I've seen a couple articles now stating that the MIC MY has an updated interior that includes a heated steering wheel. Perhaps it is coming to the M3 soon?

6. Murattukaalai

Murattukaalai Member

Here’s my video of cabin noise comparison between 2018 model 3 and 2021 model 3.

• Helpful x 2
  7. Robert A

Robert A Member

#1627 Robert A, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    How do I know if my car has the updated headlights? I just picked mine up last week.

Coming from a BMW with xenons, which produced a smooth carpet of light, Tesla's lighting pattern seems rather splotchy and uneven. Is this a known characteristic of the Telsa?

8. panpan1

panpan1 Member

9. Hi_Im_Mike

Hi_Im_Mike Member

Here’s my 2021 model 3 sr+ with the new headlights, compare to the old one it’s got a lot more black in it, the biggest difference is the projector on the left side of the headlight.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Hi_Im_Mike

Hi_Im_Mike Member

Sorry, here’s a better comparison :)

Attached Files:

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Jibjab

Jibjab Member

Nice comparison. I only had a brief test drive in a 2020 LR before getting my 2021 LR last month. It does seem quieter from what I recall though.

• Like x 1
  12. Devils son

Devils son Active Member

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. DutchDriver

DutchDriver Member

Mentioned here Tesla China Model 3 gets new Model Y-style interior with heated steering wheel

Is the heated stearing wheel for the M3 P MiC, but also "Interior atmosphere lights". Does anybody have more information about this point? Does the M3 P made in Fremont have the white interior LED's in the door and footrest area?
    At some point I hope Tesla will add ambient interior lighting, with adjustable color. That's something which becomes more standard in electric cars.

14. Marius A

Marius A Member

I don't wanna restart the whole conspiracy theory thing about heated steering wheels again, but can somebody with a 2020 and an early 2019 (real leather steering wheel) measure the thickness of their steering wheel?
    I've had the leather, the 2020 and now I have a 2021, and it feels like the steering wheel is thicker than before (please provide something constructive along with the jokes).
    Gonna measure it when I get home (yes, yes, funny).

15. jmatero

jmatero Member

Wood on the door is actually about simplifying. You’ll notice that the new door panels are all black... even with the white interior. Only difference is snapping in a small wood or white trim part. For buyers of white interiors, only things white are now the seats and 3 aluminum parts.

I will say that the new door panel crease blends in better with the b-pillar now.

ABD31965-25D6-45C6-AF50-1455150EBA9C.jpeg D7E36092-5124-49A2-9E4F-249EA94EC03F.jpeg

16. srk67

srk67 Member

I think i like the old one better. Granted I did just take delivery so I may be a little biased

17. elptxjc

elptxjc Member

Can't you get the average? It seems almost the same to me, fluctuating more or less to the same numbers.

I definitely like the old headlights better, especially on a white car, so glad mine didn't come with the new ones. The projector looks, well, cheap :).

Mine only has the footrest area. So only the doors would be new. I remember seeing one with ambient lighting all along the dash; it looked pretty neat. I thought it was standard, so we were surprised only the footwells lighted up with ambient light was activated. Oh well.

18. DutchDriver

DutchDriver Member

Sad to hear Tesla got the LED door lighting out of the 2020 version. I found a movie where the 2019 had them in

I hope Tesla will introduce decent ambient lighting like BMW/ Mercedes or just the Volkswagen ID 3 / 4.
    For this amount of money I expected a bit more :oops:

19. natman316

natman316 Member

Is it true that Tesla removed Regen settings in the 2021?

20. panpan1

panpan1 Member

Yes, one of the options was removed. It is discussed in this thread.