Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know if it is something they did lately in Q2 or something with all the 2021 models but I just switched from a 2020 to a 2021 and me and everyone else that has been in the new car have found it to be quite a bit more quiet than the old one. I also did not think my 2020 was louder than the other 2020 models I tried so I don’t think it had something wrong.

Is there any information on Tesla doing something for sound insulation apart from the double glass windows? Because this seems like it would be something more than that.

The 2021s also have a new version of the MXM4 tire (T1 version vs T0). There's not much out there about it but it's possible the tire is quieter also

The 2021s also have a new version of the MXM4 tire (T1 version vs T0). There's not much out there about it but it's possible the tire is quieter also

I am in Europe so we get Pilot Sport 4 on both of the Model 3, don’t know if theres a new version there as well. It shouldn’t reduce the wind noise either way but it could of course make a difference with the tire noise.

Some company's who do sound insulation for Tesla's have taken the 2021 version apart and found no changes to the sound insulation whatsoever. Double glass windows in the front being the only change.

You are not the only one to notice the new cars are quieter. That's why they took the car apart in the first place. If you look on YouTube. The last video I remember was done by a company called Stegmann.
Would you mind posting a link? I've searched and cannot find the video you're referring to. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I can’t understand a word he’s saying, that’s quite some accent!
Tim

Can you click the CC button and use subtitles?

( I assume you know he is speaking German... )

Attachments

• cc-sub.png
    cc-sub.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 117
  • Funny
Reactions: TBrownTX
Yeah, maybe it is just the glass then, I was just surprised by the difference to both tire and wind noise. I haven’t tried the Q1 2021 version so I cannot comment on differences between them but I was wondering if there might have been further changes between Q1 and Q2 in typical Tesla fashion. I was not expecting this big a difference from the glass alone.

I saw in another thread someone swapped from the P-Zeros back to the Michelins and found the Michelins were actually noisier, so maybe that's part of it?

I came from a '17 LR RWD. My '21 M3P is ridiculously quiet in comparison. The wind noise is way, way better. Tire noise is better too, surprisingly.

I've been wondering how much of it is the tires since I will swap them out as soon as my wheels come in. My 2021 3 is a lot quieter than my BMW 335, and more comfortable.

Also, the demo models I test drove at the beginning of April were just as quiet and comfortable.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
I've been wondering how much of it is the tires since I will swap them out as soon as my wheels come in. My 2021 3 is a lot quieter than my BMW 335, and more comfortable.

Also, the demo models I test drove at the beginning of April were just as quiet and comfortable.

My M3 is a lot quieter than my Cadillac ATS was as well. The '21s are far from noisy on the interior.

Tim