Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A small point on aesthetics.

I really like all of the changes to the updated M3, but I was a big fan of the chrome trim. Do any of you perchance know of where one could obtain a kit/wrap to add the chrome trim back?
I especially think the 19" wheels look bad now with the lack of chrome on the rest of the vehicle. It looks strange for the wheels to be so bright when nothing else is shiny on the car now -- before, the 19" wheels complemented the chrome trim.

Talked with my SA in Denmark today. He mentioned that there are no possibility for my order placed on 9th of October to be the refreshed model. So far I haven’t been assigned any VIN. I ordered an SR+.

Yesterday all models was set to arrive somewhere between November and December.

I’m curious if they just don’t know right now what’s the real truth is internally. All the rumours of new refreshed models already departed to Europe. Would seem to fit into the estimated delivery between November/December that was stated on their website until today.

What you guys think?

I called Tesla today and she said if I ordered in the last month and don't have a VIN, I will definitely get the refreshed model.

Shortly afterward the image of the car on my Tesla account updated with the new version. Have you checked yours?

I called Tesla today and she said if I ordered in the last month and don't have a VIN, I will definitely get the refreshed model.

Shortly afterward the image of the car on my Tesla account updated with the new version. Have you checked yours?

Ok. That sounds good. Hopefully it will be the case for me also.

issue is that I leased the car thru ALD. So I don’t have it on my account before it’s picked up.. the only information I can get is thru Tesla SA in Denmark - who also will contact me when I’m assigned a VIN.

My image still shows the same old Tesla, I order exactly 1 week ago and have not got a VIN. I do not want to manually change my order to update to the new refresh, should I call my SA?

Talked with my SA in Denmark today. He mentioned that there are no possibility for my order placed on 9th of October to be the refreshed model. So far I haven’t been assigned any VIN. I ordered an SR+.

I feel like if you could get a 2020 version, they would have given it to you already. I don't think there are many 2020's left at this point.

I can't say for Europe, but there are no Model 3's in stock anywhere near Toronto, and haven't been for weeks. It seems like they have sold the available stock almost everywhere. And at the moment, the only cars we've seen come off the line are 2021's bound for Europe.

I'd say that unless you get a VIN assigned in the next week, you'll get a new model when they eventually arrive in November.

Unless of course there is something weird like they are still shipping 2020 models overseas and they just haven't arrived yet. But even if that's the case, you can just ask for a 2021 VIN instead.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want a 2021 model, you'll get it.

My image still shows the same old Tesla, I order exactly 1 week ago and have not got a VIN. I do not want to manually change my order to update to the new refresh, should I call my SA?

Don't worry about the photo. It seems like only the people in Europe have had theirs updated, likely because the cars are on the way and closer to being assigned.

I don't think there are many 2020's left in North America. And if you want a 2021, you'll get it. Don't worry about the picture.

I feel like if you could get a 2020 version, they would have given it to you already. I don't think there are many 2020's left at this point.

I can't say for Europe, but there are no Model 3's in stock anywhere near Toronto, and haven't been for weeks. It seems like they have sold the available stock almost everywhere. And at the moment, the only cars we've seen come off the line are 2021's bound for Europe.

I'd say that unless you get a VIN assigned in the next week, you'll get a new model when they eventually arrive in November.

Unless of course there is something weird like they are still shipping 2020 models overseas and they just haven't arrived yet. But even if that's the case, you can just ask for a 2021 VIN instead.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want a 2021 model, you'll get it.

I had a quick look around the danish Tesla forum.

I see many people mentioning they have talked with the SA and the first models to arrive in last quarter will be LR models. SR+ will be left out for now.. and will start ship around first quarter 2021... it’s bad news.

Reactions: ehacke
2021 Changelog

Range:
  • SR+: 250 -> 263
  • LRD: 322 -> 353
  • M3P: 299 - > 315
Acceleration:
  • LRD: 4.4 -> 4.2
  • M3P: 3.2 -> 3.1
Wheels:
  • 18": Updated Aeros (flatter, more angular than pinwheel design)
  • 19": Updated Sport wheels (flatter, chunkier outside edge, less bright silver)
  • 20": Replaced Gunmetal Sports w/ Uberturbines
Trim:
  • Black trim replaces chrome
  • Reintroduction of dimming mirrors
  • Double pane front windows (confirmed via EPC)
  • New center console (4 USB -C, no piano black, no phone lid cover)
  • Secure Usb port in glovebox
  • Power lift gate
  • (Unconfirmed) Heat pump
  • (Unconfirmed) New cornering headlights
  • (Unconfirmed) Updated taillights w/ amber turn signals
  • (Uncomfirmed) Metallic finish steering wheel, heated steering wheel (Tesla officially launches Model 3 2021 refresh with more range and features - Electrek)

2021 Changelog

Range:
  • SR+: 250 -> 263
  • LRD: 322 -> 353
  • M3P: 299 - > 315
Acceleration:
  • LRD: 4.4 -> 4.2
  • M3P: 3.2 -> 3.1
Wheels:
  • 18": Updated Aeros (flatter, more angular than pinwheel design)
  • 19": Updated Sport wheels (flatter, chunkier outside edge, less bright silver)
  • 20": Replaced Gunmetal Sports w/ Uberturbines
Trim:
  • Black trim replaces chrome
  • Reintroduction of dimming mirrors
  • Double pane front windows (confirmed via EPC)
  • New center console (4 USB -C, no piano black, no phone lid cover)
  • Secure Usb port in glovebox
  • Power lift gate
  • (Unconfirmed) Heat pump
  • (Unconfirmed) New cornering headlights
  • (Unconfirmed) Updated taillights w/ amber turn signals
  • (Uncomfirmed) Metallic finish steering wheel, heated steering wheel (Tesla officially launches Model 3 2021 refresh with more range and features - Electrek)
Good info. My late august build has dimming side mirrors btw

Reactions: PNWLeccy
So looking at this in more detail range increases are as follows:

SR+: +5.20%
AWD LR: + 9.63%
AWD Performance: +5.35%

Every model is seeing minimum 5% improvement across the board, likely due to battery improvements that were mentioned earlier this year. It seems model Y is seeing similar improvements as well.

Something additional is happening with the AWD LR however. I suspect that it's probably the heat pump, but why only on the LR? I can understand that cost concerns may have prevented its inclusion in the SR+, but I can't understand why it would be left out of the Performance model. Or has something else been done to the P that negates the improvement from the heat pump? Shaving 0.1 sec off the 0-100km acceleration time is nice, but I hope that's not what cost a potential 4-5% extra range improvement.

I'm a bit torn here. I was set on ordering a M3P and live with the more fragile wheels and slightly reduced range to get the fastest 3 and track mode, but now that the range difference between the LR and the P has significantly widened, it's becoming harder to put down the extra $10,000 (Canadian $) for the P. The new range of the P would be enough for sure, but comparatively speaking, it doesn't look as good as it used to.
I think the range for model Y hasn't changed so significantly, has it?

Yesterday all models was set to arrive somewhere between November and December.

I’m curious if they just don’t know right now what’s the real truth is internally. All the rumours of new refreshed models already departed to Europe. Would seem to fit into the estimated delivery between November/December that was stated on their website until today.

What you guys think?
I would cancel your order and re-place it. For resale, range, and performance, you're better off waiting for the refreshed version.