Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How relevant is the heated steering wheel in a car, which you can pre-heat to your preferred temperature before you start driving it?

Pre-heating still uses electricity and consumes battery.

A heated steering wheel is infinitely better as you get the heat where it is most needed: your hands. It is also instantaneous and it does NOT use the main battery but rather the 12V battery which is again more efficient.

I say this from experiencing extreme cold weather (-31 Fahrenheit / -35 Celsius is not unheard of where I live).

For those asking about heated steering wheels ... I have one in my 2017 Volt, and I can tell you, it's pretty great. It gets warm fast - much faster than the rest of the heating - and it makes things tolerably comfortable to drive right away. I've been wanting a Tesla for a long time, and the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger was lack of heated of steering wheel, and lack of SiriusXM ... then the pandemic hit and there were other reasons. May sound silly, but true. But I'm getting close to it being "time" ... so, if the heated steering wheel is true, that may push me over the edge for good.

Do we have confirmation anywhere on that? I've only seen the rumors and an article that mentioned it.

It is interesting that some are commenting the 21 October earnings call may bring further options. Wonder what these could be and does anyone else think it is odd that Tesla would do a refresh in multiple stages?

What am I saying?!? this is Tesla they don't follow normal rules. From the look of forum traffic, tesla have bumper orders building up. Two weeks since my initial order and deposit, I don't have an estimated delivery date (UK) - whilst I'd love to know, I am also encouraged by the level of demand that Tesla is sustaining :)

I found this link which could be an interesting source to see when deliveries are coming into the UK...

Tesla Carriers - Google Drive

Posted a screenshot too if you'd rather not open a random spreadsheet link. I found this on another Tesla link to the spreadsheet on another Telsa forum for context.

It is a Tesla shipping tracker and seems to be quite current. Quite fascinating to see that a few are loading in San Fran for shipping in the coming weeks. But it would also indicate that the last ship in was in early September and so that would be the old model. It looks like it will be a number of weeks before the first ship of the new models arrive in the EU. Can't see anyone receiving the refreshed models before end of November / early December. What do you think?

Last edited:
It looks like it will be a number of weeks before the first ship of the new models arrive in the EU. Can't see anyone receiving the refreshed models before end of November / early December. What do you think?

If you go on the UK website, it says estimated delivery for the new model is November based on an order placed
Today. I know these are estimates, but I can't imagine they'd still have that there if it was far off.

When I had my test drive (before the refresh was announced) the sales guy in the store said November is when the next batch is due to arrive in the UK... so it all ties in. I imagine there's loads of different configurations already on their way.

Don't worry about the photo. It seems like only the people in Europe have had theirs updated, likely because the cars are on the way and closer to being assigned.

I don't think there are many 2020's left in North America. And if you want a 2021, you'll get it. Don't worry about the picture.

Yes, don't worry about the picture, I am in Europe and my picture is still the old one.

Being a current owner of a Model 3, I wonder if Tesla will sell/install "power trunk" as an after market add on? I actually like the chrome, thus it is personal preference. The only thing that sucks is the "heated steering wheel" if it is true. I live in Indiana and the winter time is not fun!!!

Reactions: EVNation