Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what the Tesla rep's email said:

"Following up on our conversation about the Model 3 2021 updates, as of October 3 all Model 3 trim vehicles, built out of the Fremont California factory, will come with the following updates:
- Satin Black (exterior) trim
- New Wheel options
- Power Trunk
- EMEA Headlights
- Interior updates
- Heat Pump"
This is awesome! Thanks for the report

"Following up on our conversation about the Model 3 2021 updates, as of October 3 all Model 3 trim vehicles, built out of the Fremont California factory, will come with the following updates:
- New Wheel options
- Power Trunk
- EMEA Headlights
- Interior updates
- Heat Pump"

The "... built out of the Fremont California factory..." bit is key. Good news for northern US and Canada buyers, but I feel bad for our European friends, considering the reports that their SR+s won't get the heat pump. Hope that changes soon.

The "... built out of the Fremont California factory..." bit is key. Good news for northern US and Canada buyers, but I feel bad for our European friends, considering the reports that their SR+s won't get the heat pump. Hope that changes soon.
Im in Canada and expecting my SR+ to be delivered in November hopefully. Am I safe to assume that my car will be built in Fremont?

I suspect the reason (if in fact) the heat pump is missing from the SR+ going to Europe made in China probably has to do with the LFP battery pack. The heat pump with octovalve is integral to the battey pack thermal management system and Tesla may not have had enough time to make the required modifications/optimizations for an LFP battery pack. I suspect within the next year they will eventually be shipping with the heat pump and potentially modified octovalve/thermal system for LFP battery pack.

It's not all bad though for the European deliveries as a LFP battery does not suffer degradation from charging to 100%. In fact it is recommended to charge to 100% once a week to avoid degradation. So European SR+ deliveries will probably have more range at 100% charge for daily use vs 90% for NA deliveries.

Reactions: WillyThePooh
I suspect the reason (if in fact) the heat pump is missing from the SR+ going to Europe made in China probably has to do with the LFP battery pack. The heat pump with octovalve is integral to the battey pack thermal management system and Tesla may not have had enough time to make the required modifications/optimizations for an LFP battery pack. I suspect within the next year they will eventually be shipping with the heat pump and potentially modified octovalve/thermal system for LFP battery pack.

It's not all bad though for the European deliveries as a LFP battery does not suffer degradation from charging to 100%. In fact it is recommended to charge to 100% once a week to avoid degradation. So European SR+ deliveries will probably have more range at 100% charge for daily use vs 90% for NA deliveries.

That's a really compelling theory actually. I totally forgot about the standard trim M3s made in China having LFP battery packs now. That would explain why they would keep both HVAC configurations only in China made cars. Wouldn't make sense to hold up all the other lithium chemistry Model 3s from getting the new HVAC system just because of those ones.

- New Wheel options
- Power Trunk
- EMEA Headlights
- Interior updates
- Heat Pump"

Very good news!
No mention about the double pane/laminated glass though, right? Unless they are included in the interior updates..?

So is this saying that the North American market Model 3 is now getting the current EMEA headlights, or is this saying that EMEA cars are getting new headlights???
Because my understanding is that if the US cars are getting the EMEA headlights this would actually be a downgrade, because according to Bjørn Nyland the European headlights have less light output because European regulations state that unless you have headlight washers the total light output is limited.

Yes, AFAIK, the current Model 3 headlights in EU are diminished to meet the local regulations because those are not equipped with automatic leveling and possibly a washer system. So it's actually NA market cars that have more efficient headlights as it is and I doubt there will be any change to NA headlights because of NHTSA.

And yes, in EU the current model 3 headlights compare pretty poor to all the bells and whistles that competitors put in their cars. For example VW, Audi, Mercedes have very advanced headlights, i.e. dynamic low beam patterns changing in conjuction with the vehicle speed, headlights turning in corners etc., AND dynamic high beams/dynamic light assist/smart light assist (led projectors or matrix led tech), masking the oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you while you can drive with high beams on constantly. This is not "auto high beams" that just turn on and off.

Its interesting to see what these new "EMEA" headlights stand for, since they could be adopting some new tech (illegal in NA :D) required here to enhance the current headlights shipped here. We'll see.

Just called Tesla, and yet again pleased with their service. I have been assigned an M VIN, despite the website not updating. Even though I am in the UK, I am getting a Fremont car (side question, what bloody shipping route do they use?) which I am told is expected to hit UK shores (if all goes well) in late November.

Reactions: Pemple
Yes, AFAIK, the current Model 3 headlights in EU are diminished to meet the local regulations because those are not equipped with automatic leveling and possibly a washer system. So it's actually NA market cars that have more efficient headlights as it is and I doubt there will be any change to NA headlights because of NHTSA.

And yes, in EU the current model 3 headlights compare pretty poor to all the bells and whistles that competitors put in their cars. For example VW, Audi, Mercedes have very advanced headlights, i.e. dynamic low beam patterns changing in conjuction with the vehicle speed, headlights turning in corners etc., AND dynamic high beams/dynamic light assist/smart light assist (led projectors or matrix led tech), masking the oncoming traffic and vehicles in front of you while you can drive with high beams on constantly. This is not "auto high beams" that just turn on and off.

Its interesting to see what these new "EMEA" headlights stand for, since they could be adopting some new tech (illegal in NA :D) required here to enhance the current headlights shipped here. We'll see.
EMEA stands for "Europe Middle East Africa".
So that means North American markets are getting European Model 3 headlights?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I am still in love with my 9/30/2018 Tesla Model 3 "Chrome Classic" Dual Motor FSD that has given me over 36,000 awesome miles!

I wouldn't change a thing! I love to hear the satisfying "thrunk" whenever I whack the trunk shut with my left or right arm (ambidextrous). ;-)

Love to crank up the awesome sound system to hear "Born to Run" and "Hotel California" (She Got A Mercedes-Benz! LOL) over road noise!

Love to plug in my iPhones and Androids so they don't fly away when I floor it

to be continued... (not!)

Seriously: as a long-time $TSLA investor this Model 3 Refresh is also awesome and if I needed a second 3 I would purchase one of these in a heartbeat!

Just called Tesla, and yet again pleased with their service. I have been assigned an M VIN, despite the website not updating. Even though I am in the UK, I am getting a Fremont car (side question, what bloody shipping route do they use?) which I am told is expected to hit UK shores (if all goes well) in late November.

We must be on the same boat :) I also checked with my Tesla SA and he said I will be getting an M version which will arrive late November.