Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know a lot of people have prolly thought about it for at least a minute but are the refreshed changes worth selling and re-buying? Particularly the battery changes if true and the heat pump...
Not really. Unless you get a really great deal then the heat pump and battery are minor improvements.
I'm assuming you never thought "my model 3 would be so much better if it had a heat pump and 20 miles extra potential range".

There's always a big hype around Tesla iterations, which is great for sales and for new buyers, but as an existing owner you need to put the changes in a spreadsheet and turn notifications off in the forums for a few weeks.
I'm happy I'll get more range, I don't really care about the heat pump, lift gate is awesome, new aero look better, chrome delete looks awful.

Just went to the Seattle showroom for a test drive and they had the refresh version in all black and it looked great! A couple of observations:
  • The power lift gate is really quiet
  • The new aero covers look better than the old ones IMO
  • The center console looks pretty good but it is a little less functional. The slide cover mechanism is smooth but smaller than the old cubby and it’s hard to access the front area under the phone tray.
  • The steering wheel felt a little thicker(?) and more rubbery than my 6/18 (real leather before transition to vegan) steering wheel.
  • The steering wheel has no seams that run across the front like my old one
  • New metal steering wheel scroll wheels felt more solid
Side note: I was there to test drive a Model Y and it was 69XXX vin that also had the new laminated front windows. I have to be honest, I couldn’t tell any difference in sound on the highway with them or in city traffic. I have used a DB meter with my current model 3 during my many soundproofing efforts and I was getting the same readings in the model Y with the new windows. I did however notice a decrease in wind noise but I haven’t compared that to a newer but pre-laminated window M3 for comparison. My early VIN M3 has a lot of wind noise.
View attachment 606766 View attachment 606767 View attachment 606768 View attachment 606769 View attachment 606770
Maybe the steering wheel is thicker b/c I think it has heating coils in it now???? Thanks for passing on, I tried to hit the like button but that did not work.

I know a lot of people have prolly thought about it for at least a minute but are the refreshed changes worth selling and re-buying? Particularly the battery changes if true and the heat pump...

It was worth it for me, I netted 4k from selling my 2020 stealth with 21k miles. Ordered a 2021 P3D and i'm getting 5k back from the state. So 9k in my pocket for upgrading.

Reactions: Yang_H
To me it looks like they are new more angular/sharp wheels. The overall shape is the same (some I'm sure the covers are interchangeable) but the spokes look a little sharper and more updated. Here is a screenshot from the video and one of the old wheels from google
It sure appears that way. Also, the "pads" that the aero covers rest on at the rim lip are significantly larger, too, compared to the original wheels.

Two things I don't like about running the aero covers on my 2018 Model 3 that this change may help with:
1. They make a bit of noise that you can notice at low speeds with the windows down.
2. They scuff up the wheels around the rim edge where the covers touch the rim.

Just went to the Seattle showroom for a test drive and they had the refresh version in all black and it looked great! A couple of observations:
  • The power lift gate is really quiet
  • The new aero covers look better than the old ones IMO
  • The center console looks pretty good but it is a little less functional. The slide cover mechanism is smooth but smaller than the old cubby and it’s hard to access the front area under the phone tray.
  • The steering wheel felt a little thicker(?) and more rubbery than my 6/18 (real leather before transition to vegan) steering wheel.
  • The steering wheel has no seams that run across the front like my old one
  • New metal steering wheel scroll wheels felt more solid
Side note: I was there to test drive a Model Y and it was 69XXX vin that also had the new laminated front windows. I have to be honest, I couldn’t tell any difference in sound on the highway with them or in city traffic. I have used a DB meter with my current model 3 during my many soundproofing efforts and I was getting the same readings in the model Y with the new windows. I did however notice a decrease in wind noise but I haven’t compared that to a newer but pre-laminated window M3 for comparison. My early VIN M3 has a lot of wind noise.
View attachment 606766 View attachment 606767 View attachment 606768 View attachment 606769 View attachment 606770
Hey, your image #2 appears to show that the Radio is tuned to 710AM. AM??? What????

Am I the only one bothered by the mis-matched struts on the Model 3 Trunk? I know only one is powered, and the same is true on S & Y, but at least they look the same. Also, the trunk beep on Model Y might be the nicest automotive beep I've ever known. The Model 3 beep seems more shrill and somewhat angry. I know there's other issues in the world, but sometimes it's the small things!

upload_2020-11-13_15-42-41.png