Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be a good solution :
Capture d’écran 2021-03-02 à 14.08.57.png

Reactions: FredMt
Just got a 2018 model 3 as a loaner while my 2021 is in for some minor issues and wow the 2018 is so much louder! It seems all the improvements really do make a difference for noise!. Keep in mind I have a M3P on 19in wheels without foam, and the 2018 had the stock aeros, which means that the potential noise difference is even more

There are first indications that more changes are made to the Model 3 coming to Europe.
V16 has been approved on the 1st of March 2021.
No Documents available yet, but the Variant Codes are showing that the new Drive Traing CAT II (Hairpin Winding Motors) is coming to more Versions. Specifically:
-SR+ MIC CATL LFP
-LR LG 77KWH
-LR Panasonic 2170L 82KWH
-P Panasonic 2170L 82KWH

The E1CR SR+ and E3CD LR will not be getting the new motor(s). They will probably both be discontinued soon. E1CR actually never made it to Europe.
Also the just introduced E1LR is not on the list for a motor swap, but I guess this will come with v17.

There are first indications that more changes are made to the Model 3 coming to Europe.
V16 has been approved on the 1st of March 2021.
No Documents available yet, but the Variant Codes are showing that the new Drive Traing CAT II (Hairpin Winding Motors) is coming to more Versions. Specifically:
-SR+ MIC CATL LFP
-LR LG 77KWH
-P Panasonic 2170L 82KWH

The E1CR SR+ and E3CD LR will not be getting the new motor(s). They will probably both be discontinued soon. E1CR actually never made it to Europe.
Also the just introduced E1LR is not on the list for a motor swap, but I guess this will come with v17.
Is there somewhere forum where can follow these changes?

Is there somewhere forum where can follow these changes?
Yes, I have created a thread on this topic in a German Tesla Forum:

V16 is the latest, but not available in the German databases yet. The initial certification is always done in the Netherlands and the transfer to Germany takes a couple of days/weeks.

Not too surprising. What's the timeframe most likely? I wonder when it will show up in EPA docs?

Any information/background on the hairpin winding motors? (Can link thread if covered somewhere else here.) I assume it is an optimization for efficiencies...I know some other manufacturers do optimizations of the windings to maximize efficiency/flux, etc.

Yes, I have created a thread on this topic in a German Tesla Forum:

V16 is the latest, but not available in the German databases yet. The initial certification is always done in the Netherlands and the transfer to Germany takes a couple of days/weeks.
Thanks.

What's the timeframe most likely?

I have no idea to be honest. My best guess that the new long range (Model 3/Y) with the large battery and new motors will be marketed from April to push sales in Q2 and equal out the attention to the Model 3/Y with the release of the Refresh Model S/X. The M3 long range 82KWH was already in the certification papers of v14 in January, but the cars still dont exist on the market in Q1/2021

Any information/background on the hairpin winding motors?

Only from Google. That this technology is already used in other EV's like the VW ID3. Improved efficiency must be the reason, but I also read that heat tranfer out of these motors is impaired, so maybe not a choice for the performance models.

For now...all we have are the lists from the Durch Authorities in their open databases. The versions and variants listed there are always more diverse than the ones actually listed as valid configurations in the papers.
For example, since release of the Model 3 refresh they have a Performance with tow hitch in their lists. Even the latest v16 has this variant.
The certification papers from v13-v15 all prohibit this configuration though. So, we have to see what the actual paperwork says.

The most interesting part of the list remains the letter Q for the Drive Unit Cat II and the models that supposedly are getting this drivetrain.

V15 Matrix (V16 to be released soon)
cee60ad410b036aef763f657d622eaef85c93f8d_2_456x500.jpeg

V16 versions with Q in the Variant Drive Unit Cat II
9a2b6ded5c1a62260dabaa3c0c6f02e339cb114c.png

My best guess that the new long range (Model 3/Y) with the large battery and new motors will be marketed from April to push sales in Q2 and equal out the attention to the Model 3/Y with the release of the Refresh Model S/X. The M3 long range 82KWH was already in the certification papers of v14 in January, but the cars still dont exist on the market in Q1/2021
Yes, E3LD exist on paper but capacity, real capacity available for range is not confirm... there is a risk that for Europe this pack 2170L "82" kWh be softlock at LG level like it s actually the case with E3CD. Perhaps to a little more LG capacity but softlock... I'm afaid of it.

Last edited:
Yes, E3LD exist on paper but capacity, real capacity available for range is not confirm... there is a risk that for Europe this pack 2170L "82" kWh be softlock at LG level like it s actually the case with E3CD. Perhaps to a little more LG capacity but softlock... I'm afaid of it.
I still highly doubt that the 82KWH battery will be software locked...ever.

The USP for an EV is range and if Tesla can sell you more range at a premium, they will...and customers will happily pay for it.

A Model 3/Y Long Range+ with a newly more efficient drive train (Q = CAT II) and a larger battery (81KWH usable capacity is up to 10% more compared to the LG!) will surely boost the Model 3/Y sales even more.

The whole E3CD "nerv" thing (to me) is just Tesla selling out their last/old 79KWH battery packs until the production is completely switched to the 82KWH pack. Meanwhile the 77KWH LG was introduced, that, by design, didn't reach the capacity of the old pack.
So, to keep a level playing field (in diplomacy I won't use the word "fair"), they synthetically reduced the capacity of the old Panasonic to more or less match the LG's size. This is just me repeating what has been discussed here in length, but maybe some people are new to the issue.

By the looks of it now, the LG is also here to stay (since it is listed for Europe with the new Motor) and that can only happen if they software lock the big pack (again, I doubt it) or if they market the Panasonic 2170L 82KWH E3LD above the LG 77KWH E5D.

V16 might tell us more.

For Tesla to start building the M3LR with 2170L, they need to have the capacity to build enough of these cells and they wouldn't use LG if capacity is sufficient. And price wise, there is not enough room between the M3LR and the Performance to sell a M3LR+ that isn't in such demand that enough buyers will go for the regular one.

So I still do not think it is likely that the 82 kWh battery will come to the M3LR soon.

For Tesla to start building the M3LR with 2170L, they need to have the capacity to build enough of these cells and they wouldn't use LG if capacity is sufficient. And price wise, there is not enough room between the M3LR and the Performance to sell a M3LR+ that isn't in such demand that enough buyers will go for the regular one.

So I still do not think it is likely that the 82 kWh battery will come to the M3LR soon.
Tesla go on to migrate Panasonic chains from 2170 to 2170L. so there will be as many 2170L at the end as there were 2170.
Then, the SR +, at least European, should I think switch back to LFP. There will also be a part of the LR based the LG pack.
So, in terms of 2170L quantity it seems that this should not be a problem to have 82kWh pack for LR.
On pricing positioning, an option could be introduced for example? it does not seems to be very complicated, so may be credible.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Tesla go on to migrate Panasonic chains from 2170 to 2170L. so there will be as many 2170L at the end as there were 2170.
Then, the SR +, at least European, should I think switch back to LFP. There will also be a part of the LR based the LG pack.
So, in terms of 2170L quantity it seems that this should not be a problem to have 82kWh pack for LR.
On pricing positioning, an option could be introduced for example? it does not seems to be very complicated, so may be credible.
We will see. For now I would be surprised if we see a Longer Range M3 in Q2.

I absolutely love the change in the center console. The piano black collected way too many finger prints and scratches and made me insane enough to trade in my 2020 model for the 2021 model.
While I didn't hate the piano black console, I ended up spending $40 for a matte console wrap which takes care of the issue completely and looks great. Seems hardly necessary to go to 2021 just to get rid of the piano black console...

Reactions: XLR82XS
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the 2020 and 2021 dash? Looking at either a replacement from RPM Tesla, or grabbing a used one off eBay to see what I can do with the wood grain. Would like to know if anyone has successfully swapped without issues prior to investing. Thanks!

Tim

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the 2020 and 2021 dash? Looking at either a replacement from RPM Tesla, or grabbing a used one off eBay to see what I can do with the wood grain. Would like to know if anyone has successfully swapped without issues prior to investing. Thanks!

Tim
Just buy a cover from Amazon, you can get fake carbon fibre, gloss black, white, any color really...I ended up getting the glossy real carbon fibre which was $300+. They come in 1 piece or 2 piece.