Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is just a temperature thing. I drove both 2019 LR and 2021 and didn't see a difference.
Not only temperature, i think. As you can see, i have at the moment the 2 cars ( no more for a long time ) I drive them alternatively same road, same conditions or very near, outside température is about 10 / 15 deg. For exemple when i go out of motorway, after 16km, It s not a lot but i can feel the différence, specialy at the begining of braking, strong regenerative brake begin earlier for LR. With M3P regenerative brake is a little more progressive at begining.

To all these people complaining about not having low regen: have you not been able to figure out how to use the accelerator in a way that "coasts"? You can position your foot in the right position to where the car is not accelerating or decelerating. It's not that hard imo and you can look at the green and black bar to figure out at what point you aren't producing or using energy.
Maybe so, but that doesn't solve the problem of driving on ice, which you don't have in AL.

As far as I know, there is no body difference between any of them.
Well, only minor thing is the badge on the back and performance may get the "lip spoiler" stuck on the trunk lid.

Performance also has different brakes. So you can check inside the wheels to know if it is a performance model or not.

Reactions: DavyCharges
Sorry if already asked, but is there a body difference between the SR+, LR, and performance? (2021)
In Germany somer SR+ cars with LFP? (maybe all?) batteries were delivered without back stabilisators. It doesn't mean much, but it makes the car a little "less" stable in cornering. Other than that, probably little difference.

Also, I saw on page 70 or so that the new BT Code for the battery in the Ps from 2020 were BT42. It seems that the new LR cars from european inventory have it, according to source code in the website. Not sure if that is an indication that it is the exact same P battery from 2020, but it is the same code, so...

The new heated steering is also ST33. If you want to check if your car has both new battery and new steering, do a source code search.

In Germany somer SR+ cars with LFP? (maybe all?) batteries were delivered without back stabilisators. It doesn't mean much, but it makes the car a little "less" stable in cornering. Other than that, probably little difference.
As I understand it...all the SR+ LFP made in china (Q4/2020 and Q2/2021) come with stabilizer bars on the rear axle and all the made in USA SR+ (only Q1/2021) with Panasonic NCA pack come without it. The strange part ist, that on the stabilizer it says Made in USA. So they ship the part to China, but dont use it in the States where it is produced. Only explanation I can think of, is due to the increased weight of the LFP pack.

Sorry if already asked, but is there a body difference between the SR+, LR, and performance? (2021)
The main body is the same, but to be clear. Its not all just software.
  • SR+ Made in USA have Panasonic NCA battery pack, no rear stabilizer and the Base Rear Motor (600A).
  • SR+ Made in China have CATL LFP battery pack, rear stabilizer and Performance Rear Motor (800A).
  • LR gets a front motor (Dual Motor) and has the base rear motor (600A). Also a larger Panasonic NCA battery pack with 82kWh from Q2/2021.
  • P is also a dual motor with the LR Battery, but the rear motor is the Performance version with 800A limit. Also larger brakes, rear spoiler, Uberturbine wheels and apparently 1cm lowered suspension. Doesnt look lower though. Also Track Mode unlocked via Software.

Last edited:
Stupid decision IMHO, especially in EU wherein the towbar is widely requested e.g. in Germany, Switzerland or Netherlands.
Is it? Do you have any data? When I flip through sales most of them don't have a towbar. And the P doesn't even come with towbar and those sell as hot cakes too.

I guess Tesla decided they don't wanna mess with two different rear body types or maybe the towbars are not available now in the same quantities?

Is it? Do you have any data? When I flip through sales most of them don't have a towbar. And the P doesn't even come with towbar and those sell as hot cakes too.

I guess Tesla decided they don't wanna mess with two different rear body types or maybe the towbars are not available now in the same quantities?
I know, but if you look on the motorway, especially during summer time, there are plenty of cars having a caravan/roulotte attached. Agree probably the M3 is not the car to be used to tow a caravan, but nevertheless can be used to carry bikes e.g..

There is rumor that you can still order towbar if you contact SC after order. Tesla is doing change to towbar and that's why it's not possible order from site.

One difference we have found in the 2021 MIC M3 is that the seats in the front sit higher, or don’t go as low specifically.

I’m quite long in the leg, and find some cars cause my knee pain if I can’t get the seat low enough

previously had a performance 3 and no knee pain, so we confident in upgrading to the 21 car. But giving the change in the seat, knee pain is here again.
I’ve asking if the service centre can help, but I don’t expect much joy

(just in case someone thinks it sounds a bit... precious... the knee issue to chondromalacia, so wear at the cartilage under the knee cap, and if I sit with too much bend in the knee, it rubs on the bones and is unpleasant)

yes, seat can be pushed further back... but then, you know... pedals 😉