Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a Dec 2021 M3LR with the following numbers for 5 mile Average

146 x 405 /80/1000 = 74.2kWh

The mileage around 20k miles /32k km

The battery is E5CD according to V5 Registration document, so 75kWh new

That seems to be exceptionally low degradation due to the age of the car

Or is there a possibility that it has 78.8kWh E5LD battery despite what the registration says. This seems to match the battery aging prediction

The seller said he always predominantly kept to battery between 20-80% and has rarely supercharged as his long journeys are 160 miles and hone charging is way cheaper than supercharging

Should I only care about the current nominal capacity as that’s what the car has left regardless or the battery. Is the larger E5LD a better battery than E5CD. Or do they both use the same cells and one is more than the other?

When punching in the numbers in my statistics as E5CD the car is 3% above average and when using E5LD it is 1,8% below average.

The E5LD M3LR was introduced in Q4/2021 all around Europe, except for the UK. You guys still had E5CD until early 2022, so it is most likely a very well maintained E5CD.

If you want absolute certainty then you need to ask the seller to look for the battery sticker:
  • LG 5C (75.9) → 1522312-##-#
  • LG 5L (79.5) → 1700012-##-#

Sounds like battery is in excellent condition

It's a 2 hour journey and it may be worth it. It's still on original tyres with good tread left

IK the 2022 M3LR has AMD Ryzen and the slightly bigger battery. Those cars are £3k more when the registration date is 3 months apart. Do the 2022 improvements justify the differences in the price?

Last edited:
Should I only care about the current nominal capacity as that’s what the car has left regardless or the battery. Is the larger E5LD a better battery than E5CD. Or do they both use the same cells and one is more than the other?
An excellent answer from @eivissa as usual.

As it seems it is the smaller LG. (A double check on the sticker might not hurt even if @eivissa most probably nailed the data :) .)
The smaller LG is very good also, just…smaller.

A two year old battery would normally be more degraded and my guess is that the former owner kept the SOC low most of the time (60% or below).
Degradation is very predictable as it driven by chemics/the laws of nature.

I suggest that you continue to use low SOC daily if you would like to keep the very good trend of that battery.

Otherwise, it of course will hold up if used as most people do :)

Reactions: Ni Ph and eivissa
You guys need to understand that almost 90% or more if the Model 3s/Ys out there have uncalibrated BMS. Most people charge at home between 50% to 80% which screws the results.
So you have to really know how the car was charged the last month or two to understand if you can trust the readings.

In terms of degradation you can expect 5-6% at 50,000miles up to 3 years, 8-9% at about 100k same age or a bit older and about 13%-15% at 200,000

I missed out on the 2021 TM3 LR, but as luck turns out I went to see a Blue 2023 Tesla Model 3 Long Range (March 2023, not Highland) 19" wheels, with under 7K miles. The nominal capacity calculation from energy screen was 77.6Wh. The car has been never been fast charged or supercharged. Only Level 2 to charging to 80%. I left a deposit and agreed a discount for a couple of week wait whilst the owner collects his BMW electric car. Price is just below £33k.

Was it a good buy?