Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AAKEE you said: " It will be the cells with the lowest voltage that limit the endpoint where the car needs to shut down to protect the battery."
Which is the lowest Voltage of the cell when near 0?
Is it possible to have good Imbalance in mV (say 4 mV) and being shut down even if SMT says there is still 5%?

I got a BMS a029 error. The pack that came with the car was ~79 kW through the third party app. I must admit this new battery seems to have not changed my anticipated range much at all (anticipated 480km) but maybe it needs more BMS calibration?

Battery replacement details as below
HVBAT,REMAN,LONG 1.00 RANGE,AWD-
RWD,3PH,M3(1137377-
01-P)
Your "new" battery is not new, but remanufactured. I bolded the important bit.

Which is the lowest Voltage of the cell when near 0? Is it possible to have good Imbalance in mV (say 4 mV) and being shut down even if SMT says there is still 5%?
Im quite sure the BMS protects the battery from too deep discharge. This means shut down when the battery cell that has the lowest voltage reach the limit.
Normally the difference in voltage increase at the endpoints so a normal difference maybe is up to 30mV. The voltage drop is steeper at the low end, this causes the increased higher difference.

There should be 4.5%( 4.5% of the total capacity) available below 0% om the screen.
Imbalance, or rather differences in cell capacity may cause the BMS to limit befor all 4.5% is used. There is a high probability that all 4.5% can not be used as dome cells still have energy to deliver at shut down.
Im not experienced enough on Tesla (BMS) to say for sure but I can not imagine that it could stop before 0%. I would guess that in the normal case you could get between 2 and 4% below 0, if not to high power is used in the low end.

Reactions: conv90
Your "new" battery is not new, but remanufactured. I bolded the important bit.
Sorry, I should have originally rephrased that. Yes I know it’s REMAN. Interestingly, Tesla
Rep said this is a battery that’s recently manufactured (re) as they didn’t make these batteries a year ago. Which brings me to the point, how does this compare to the original one I had?

From a subjective onnhabds experience, seems much the same as the OG.

A first user in TFF Germany is claiming to have received his E5LD and used SMT on it.

Nominal Full Pack 77,4kWh.

The LG 5C in the Model Y started at around 72kWh when delivered and slowly increased to 75kWh in the first 1000-3000km. If the 5L number is true, then this might apply here too, ending in the expected 80'ish kWh.
Curious ...What in FPWN?

Hi all, hot my M3SR+ 3 weeks ago whenever I charge at 250kw locations,I only get 168kw max. I tried 4-5 different locations and different SOC. Even with 5% SOC I still get 168kw instead of 200+. Is it something expected or I may have some problem with battery or software?
You’ll max out at about 170kW for an SR+. No idea if LFPs will be any different. Setting aside chemistry differences, it is just the ratio of capacities, so you’d expect something like 250kW*53/78 = 170kW. Larger packs have more battery cells in parallel and so have a larger “funnel” to stuff the electrons into.

That’s just a rough estimate.

The more exact estimate is 31 cells in parallel vs 46, which works out to 31/46*250kW = 168kW.

Last edited:
You’ll max out at about 170kW for an SR+. No idea if LFPs will be any different. Setting aside chemistry differences, it is just the ratio of capacities, so you’d expect something like 250kW*53/78 = 170kW. Larger packs have more battery cells in parallel and so have a larger “funnel” to stuff the electrons into.

That’s just a rough estimate.

The more exact estimate is 31 cells in parallel vs 46, which works out to 31/46*250kW = 168kW.
Thank you for explaining

Reactions: AAKEE
The charging test today failed due to different reasons, but some data from other drivers is there. The more exciting part of the charge curve remains a mystery ;-)

358d70a09afd6aa345b2516802db55bb35f7095b.png

What about the actual size of the 5L?
Did you check with SMT ?
The meeting didn't take place. The car was delivered with 100% SoC, so the owner drove straight home, as he thought meeting at the Supercharger was pointless then. I would have met up anyway for the SMT data, but it is how it is. Maybe tomorrow, but latest next week. I've got several people picking up their E5LD, who want to meet up and get the data.

By the way:
Two independent users, who picked up their E5LD today, reported 110KW @ 60% on V2 SuC. That would actually be a fantastic value if it turned out to be correct.

This is the data from User @Mirwais in the German TFF Forum. E5LD with...
  • 110KW @ 50% SoC
  • NFP = 77.2 kWh (I am sure this one will go up to 79.X kWh within one month)
  • FPWN = 78.8 kWh

1636901644828.png

1636901841751.png

Last edited: