Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A may built LR has...
  • The fastest DC charging speed.
  • The largest capacity
  • Best US quality, almost China built level
  • All the latest tech. Not many relevant changes after that
  • AVAS with boom box, but legally still detachable to make the car completely quiet.
There will be more cars coming on the market in the coming weeks. Just wait for one with a tow hitch or send me a message. I might be able to hook you up with some owners in Germany.
Cool ! How to contact you. Is there PM function somewhere on this site?

Like the MIC Model Y SR, the MIC Model 3 SR now has a slower 0-60 time (6.1s vs 5.6s), is that due to new more efficient motors being introduced? or the LFP battery going from 55kWh to 60kWh?
It is most likely a switch from the Performance Motors (3D1/3D6/239KW) to the Base/LR Motors (3D5/3D7/208KW).

It is most likely a switch from the Performance Motors (3D1/3D6/239KW) to the Base/LR Motors (3D5/3D7/208KW).
Seems to definitely be due to the motor change. UK customers are being advised that their Q4 cross over unicorn vehicles will arrive with the extra range from the new battery but the performance of the SR+ model they ordered because it has the old motor.

Battery quesions for newbie

- I hear a lot of 4680 coming out of Berlin in a 6 months or so. What will that assumingly to do range, charing speed, price of the cars etc ?
- Elvissa really have patient and tried to teach me basics of batteries. I learned e3dl is the battery to pursue. Another person told me that there is difference between how much the Panasonic vs LG should be charged? The one only to 90% the other fine 100% contunuously?

Any insights ?

Battery quesions for newbie

- I hear a lot of 4680 coming out of Berlin in a 6 months or so. What will that assumingly to do range, charing speed, price of the cars etc ?
- Elvissa really have patient and tried to teach me basics of batteries. I learned e3dl is the battery to pursue. Another person told me that there is difference between how much the Panasonic vs LG should be charged? The one only to 90% the other fine 100% contunuously?

Any insights ?
E3LD is the best of the current batteries when it comes to capacity and charging speed. The differences is not very big, so I personally do not think its an issue. If you can choose, get the 3L(E3LD). Otherwise, get what you get and be happy.

Theres not any direct difference between the Panasonic(E3LD) and the two versions of LG(E5D and E5LD) when it comes to charging levels.
Panasonic use NCA chemistry and LG NMC, I think. Theres theoretically some small differences between the chemisty but the short answer is that that behave the same when it comes to chargine levels.

No of these batteries is sensitive to be charged to 100%. They do not like to be at 100% for long times though. If charged to 100%, its a good idea to plan the charging so it is finished not too long before the departure.

If charged to 100% and driven down do zero they might hold for some 1000 cycles, thats 300.000km or more.
If charged and used in smaller cycles, they hold much longer.

Litium batteries doesnt like to stay for long with high charging level(SOC). They like lower SOC’s.
Lithium batteries preferes smaller cycles.
Lithium batteries prefer that the cycle is lower down in the SOC region.
Lithium batteries DO NOT have any memory effects, so they should be charged often(daily if possible).

For daily driving, the normal procedure is to not charge full(to 100% SOC) but to charge for what is needed plus a healthy margin.
50-60-70% is often enough.

As for when Berlin will produce vehicles with 4680's and what it will entail nobody knows for sure. However I think 6 months is a little too optimistic given the construction status of the cell building in Berlin.

Hi Guys,

Question: iI have been doing some calculations lately based on the % used and the Kwh consumed lately. All of the tests I did lead to the conclusion my 2019 M3P @ 48000km has about 65kwh usable capacity (left).

Yesterday, I charged to 100% (for the test), drove to relatives, stayed there couple of hours (no sentry! / app usage) and drove back. According to the screen i used 27 kwh in 42% which leads to -> 27÷ 0,42 -> 64.28 kwh capacity at 100% (of the 72 net it should have). Off course i could have had some drain while standing still, but not much.

Range @ 100% is 438km of the original 500.

I haven't supercharged much (about 7000-8000km of the 48000) and mostly charge to 80%. I make sure I never leave it at low or high SoC.

Stats from TeslaFi (I haven't had an account for all the Km's):
1637596899697.png

I find this quite disappointing, or am I missing something?

Attachments

• tesla.png
    tesla.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I did my first long trip this past week and thought I would post the data for any of you all that are interested. I’ve never charged to 100% to date,highest so far 95%. May build 82 kW. The car absolutely performed beyond my expectations…:)
A9087884-98A7-4671-8C11-07B717371105.jpeg3C5463FC-0394-4EE6-81CD-3B5B2CE82498.pngFB863799-E323-4241-9A4C-721EB5A33D22.jpeg

Last edited:
Range @ 100% is 438km of the original 500.
This is answered by energy screen method, but your vehicle BMS thinks you have ~67kWh (66.7kWh) left.

I think your calculations may have excluded the buffer, though I did not check them. It’s hard to predict from the trip meter if the trip is not truly continuous. And you should have used 27.2kWh. And it could have been close to 0.43, rather than 0.42. Etc. 27.2kWh/0.42/0.955/0.99 = 68.5kWh per the traditional method, FWIW. Not that far off, but the low SOC swing leads to potentially high error (~2%).

67kWh is slightly low but normal. 14% loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thdj
This is answered by energy screen method, but your vehicle BMS thinks you have ~67kWh (66.7kWh) left.

I think your calculations may have excluded the buffer, though I did not check them. It’s hard to predict from the trip meter if the trip is not truly continuous. And you should have used 27.2kWh. And it could have been close to 0.43, rather than 0.42. Etc. 27.2kWh/0.42/0.955/0.99 = 68.5kWh per the traditional method, FWIW. Not that far off, but the low SOC swing leads to potentially high error (~2%).

67kWh is slightly low but normal. 14% loss.
When will battery be replaced on guarantee within the 8 years. How lower capacity?