Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting as always AKKEE. Thanks a lot !
But what do you mean by the sentense above that you would be upset if you got NMC or NCA? Also I thought you did have the NCA in your performance like I assume I have in my LR with the e3ld?
I didnt read my post before posting, so I think either autospell or it was a actuall misstake by me.

Should say I would NOT be upset if I got a NCA or NMC.

Yes, I have the 2170L Panasonic NCA ( 82kWh).

I was again now confrontez with the statement that I should approx once a month or at least every second month charge to 100%. Leave it for a while for the battery cells to settle and then drive it down to low.
This should preserve the battery as it will otherwise unbalance as not all cells will fill up evenly and this will damage the battery.
I don't normally drive more than 100 km per day and follow AKKEE recommendations and charge around the 50% and let it sleep at night around 25-30%.
Should it once in a while charge full or is it a Myth.
If true what us the right way?
If myth what is then true to do if anything other than keeping low SOC and small cycles??

I was again now confrontez with the statement that I should approx once a month or at least every second month charge to 100%. Leave it for a while for the battery cells to settle and then drive it down to low.
This should preserve the battery as it will otherwise unbalance as not all cells will fill up evenly and this will damage the battery.
I don't normally drive more than 100 km per day and follow AKKEE recommendations and charge around the 50% and let it sleep at night around 25-30%.
Should it once in a while charge full or is it a Myth.
If true what us the right way?
If myth what is then true to do if anything other than keeping low SOC and small cycles??
No that is not wright.

The battery will not benifit or get preserved from a 100% charge. Period.

Balancing the battery when used as I do, around 30 to 55% is not needed. My car settles with about 4mV imbalance and this do not show any tendency of increasing.

Battery balance is done at the top of the range and increases rhe imbalance at low SOC. As balancing evens the voltage at high SOC and different cells have slightly different capacity, the imbalance is moved to the bottom. The only real reason for balancing is to ensure all capacity can be used( and that most of the imbalance is below the buffer limit).

The BMS might drift though, and tge Nominal full pack might get slightly off the actual value. For me it seems to show too high capacity by around 1kWh(1.2%), which isnt really a problem for me. Most often I anyway need to do a full charge due to a trip, which resets the BMS.
All full charges take a small bite of the battery, so by calibrating the BMS often you wear more on your battery. Most people are unhappy with the on screen range loss and “calibrate the Bms” to gain some range on the screen, but actually use up a bit of the capacity each time.
A uncalibrated BMS do not give you a lower range. The capacity is there but the BMS havent seen it.
Each full charge do not eat very much of the battery but still it is contraproductive in my eyes if it is done often(or too often).

In you case, you do not have very much degradation I guess. If you stay low( as per earlier tips) the real capacity will stay very close to this for long, and the degradation will be very slow. Only if you see that the range have changed much more than you’d expect you should do a BMS calibration.

The guys that recommend monthly BMS calib. most probably have lower range than they like, and know a calibration might reset a few km/mi. You wont see very low numbers if you stay low.

I still find the charging curve on my panasonic 2021 M3P disappointing and terrible. Doesn't even reach 250 kW after hours of preconditioning.
It was delivered dec 30 2020.
I find it strange that a 2019 M3 LR /P has a better charging curve with a smaller battery of the same brand.

I still find the charging curve on my panasonic 2021 M3P disappointing and terrible. Doesn't even reach 250 kW after hours of preconditioning.
It was delivered dec 30 2020.
I find it strange that a 2019 M3 LR /P has a better charging curve with a smaller battery of the same brand.
I have seen 245-247 kW or so every time at a V2 SuC starting with low SOC. I guess some of the power of the 250kW is cooling and pumps etc, and possibly cabin heating/cooling.

I have seen 245-247 kW or so every time at a V2 SuC starting with low SOC. I guess some of the power of the 250kW is cooling and pumps etc, and possibly cabin heating/cooling.

My experience is that it can reach that also. But it stays there for like < 10 secs. But if you see teslabjorn's videos it clearly shows how terrible the curve is compared to older M3.

If you are on the go and and need to charge some before reaching home, this matters more than the increased capacity.
Yes, the speed is a lot better than many other EVs, but I don't expect a downgrade on such a significant function.

Last edited:
I am wondering if this is an issue for anyone else or if it’s a problem just with my car. Pre conditioning uses insane amounts of energy now and the navigation is not taking it into acocunt. A trip a jump between superchargers was impossible according to the nav if we navigated between superchargers, the first leg of the trip to the first supercharger used a lot more energy than normal as well. Have to resort to navigating to the supercharger when we are getting close instead of using the nav from the beginning.

Reactions: M3-Ita
I am wondering if this is an issue for anyone else or if it’s a problem just with my car. Pre conditioning uses insane amounts of energy now and the navigation is not taking it into acocunt. A trip a jump between superchargers was impossible according to the nav if we navigated between superchargers, the first leg of the trip to the first supercharger used a lot more energy than normal as well. Have to resort to navigating to the supercharger when we are getting close instead of using the nav from the beginning.
I have a similar problem lately not directly linked to the pre conditioning but related to additional energy needed (AC- heated seats - cold climate ecc) that the navigation is not taking it into account.
So the end is to not being able (even with very very efficient drive) to meet the prediction of the navigation simulation in the Energy Screen (trip tab)
An example today with car already preheated by a long previous trip. With temp battery cell around 22-24°C and about 4-5°C outside temp with 20° manual temp selected in car and 1 single heated seat:
I needed to go home and selected "Home" . 33 km of FLAT road to destination and the navigation (Energy screen ) predicted with the grey line: from 38% to 34%. (!!)
4% to do 33km?? Damn ...impossible... expecially if (as already said) with AC on and relatively cold climate and heated seat and with a Model 3 Performance with 20 rims.
Looking at the Energy screen it was 4,1 to 4,2 % needed to do 33 km. This is an efficiency of around 150%! Probably a prediction for a Sr+ with 18" in the spring temp and Ac Off. ...not for a Perfomance with 20" rims and cold climate.
Accidentally I made the trip to home in a very conservative way and I ended with a fantastic average of 119 Wh/km but I also ended using about 5% to 5,5% , so the green graph line was always UNDER the grey line on the energy screen.
This is very strange because my old 2019 LR was able to do ALWAYS better than the prediction of the navigation...
Prediction to be at destination at 1%??? no problem , I was with no boubt to NOT stop to a supercharger because i was sure that during the trip my final % would be way more than 1% and never been wrong.

Whit this 2021 Performance car Im afraid to not be able to be at destination if i follow the navigation prediction .

Last edited:
Reactions: M3-Ita
I have noticed the same thing, the consumption when the navigation towards a SuperCharger is active is absurd.
I no longer use the SuperCharger as a destination but only add it when there are a few km left
In addition, the heating of the battery is activated already when there would be more than an hour left on arrival

Reactions: Stan930
I have noticed the same thing, the consumption when the navigation towards a SuperCharger is active is absurd.
I no longer use the SuperCharger as a destination but only add it when there are a few km left
In addition, the heating of the battery is activated already when there would be more than an hour left on arrival
On Scan My Tesla the supercharger battery preconditioning uses between 7kw and 10kw. If you park up and monitor it stationary

That’s a huge amount...especially if when you arrive at the charging station there is a queue and you want to try another one
It is a lot isn’t it! I’ll get a screen grab next time. You can really hear the motors buzzing away. Not sure how much extra it takes when moving, but you can hear it is running the motors inefficiently when travelling

I tried to change the wheels in the menu again (from stock 20” Überturbines) and
my M3P ‘21 still loose very much range with any 18 or 19” selection.
Theres still a bug with the SOC: I had 29% SOC on the screen and 29.6% read with SMT. With 18”/19” the SOC on the screen was 24%. The range fell from 147km with 20” to 120km with 18/19”.

SMT shows 507km max range (or more) with 20” but with 18/19” its only 415km.
Someone at Tesla has a software fix to do.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I tried to change the wheels in the menu again (from stock 20” Überturbines) and
my M3P ‘21 still loose very much range with any 18 or 19” selection.
Theres still a bug with the SOC: I had 29% SOC on the screen and 29.6% read with SMT. With 18”/19” the SOC on the screen was 24%. The range fell from 147km with 20” to 120km with 18/19”.

SMT shows 507km max range (or more) with 20” but with 18/19” its only 415km.
Someone at Tesla has a software fix to do.
Not on my M3P 2021.
Switching from 20 Uberturbine to 18 Aero, it will add something (4 km to rated range) (208 to 212) and about +8 km to Full rated range.
I was with SMT connected during the switch and the only parameter changes are the rated ranges . The % SoC is the same.
(Rel.: 2021.44.30.7)

Not on my M3P 2021.
Switching from 20 Uberturbine to 18 Aero, it will add something (4 km to rated range) (208 to 212) and about +8 km to Full rated range.
I was with SMT connected during the switch and the only parameter changes are the rated ranges . The % SoC is the same.
(Rel.: 2021.44.30.7)
In my car the SOC do not change in SMT but it does on the screen.
In smt the max range decrease much.

Also 2021.44.30.7, and when I did find the issue I was a couple of updates back.

@AlanSubie4Life

From a 2022 Model Y LR (can’t find any discussion there), have you seen this battery part number? 1104422-02-W, Style CA. I have only seen 00. Just curious as to whether this is a new version of the 82kwh Reno 2170L battery or something else.
Sorry, haven’t been tracking that on the Model Y. You can find model numbers in this thread but I don’t think they align. Minor revision codes change frequently, not sure what the number increment means vs. the letter though.

Sorry, haven’t been tracking that on the Model Y. You can find model numbers in this thread but I don’t think they align. Minor revision codes change frequently, not sure what the number increment means vs. the letter though.
Ok, I wasn't sure if they were still using the same batteries. I believe the SR Y and SR+ 3 were the same in early 2021. Googling the new part number returns no results. EPC shows they are the same so surprising there haven't been any reports on here.

From the EPC for MY:
1642882380947.png

From the EPC for M3:
1642882470138.png