Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AAKE

So this isn't THAT big of an issue? I have a M3P on order, would it be wise to pause delivery or will it be fine?

I’d say its not a objective issue. Its a matter of your own preferences.
I have always had powerful cars, and my hobby car still outperforms the M3P by far.
If I need, I go fast with that one.

Also, I have turned 50 and can accept the lower power without a second of hesitation.
Also, I have about 15 years of experience with lithium batterys in high demand applications so lower power at lower SOC and lower temps is not new to me. Feels natural with the technology we have now.
If I had 520hp available down to 0% SOC, I would not use it. I would be carefull below 20% anyway.

If you dont feel the lower power is OK at low ambient/low SOC, domt get a M3P ’21.
On the other hand, then you perhaps shouldnt buy an electric at all...

When I had my car delivered it was a long drive, and I arrived to a SuC with 6% abd the ambient temp was about -7 I think.
Of course, preheat started so the battery wasnt cold. I did nor have any problem doing around 120kph, and as I had read about the issue I briefly tested the power about 15-20% SOC, It was reduced but if needed I would not have had any problems to overtake a car at higheay speeds.
I did a test wit scan my tesla a couple of weeks back, data is in this thread. 30,25 and 20% SOC, full throttle with no preheat, tge battery was colder than a long drive and the power was quite ok.
I did not test below 20% SOC as I anyway will be carefull below 20%.

Im not even 1% concerened over this issue, so I would buy it today again with what I know.

People have gotten used to drive high performance cars carefull until engine temps are up, and they learned to drive carefull and idle the turbo car after a hefty drive.
”No problem, no issue”. But if we had electric cars first and did get an evolution to ICE cars, people would be angry about needibg to drive carefull both in the beginning and end of a drive.

If you ask me, thrust Trsla and get that car asap :)

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Not only is the car just as faster or even faster than the old one with normal temperatures, it is very efficient and has the longest range of the Model 3’s.
Very true. As long as I still have the power to easily overtake when I need to, even in -20c weather, I'm okay with the limitation. The extra range outweighs the negatives here IMO.

Reactions: Delraybeach
Its in the 40s or below for half the year in IL, which is why I've been concerned.
Tough call. I recognize there are a lot of people saying this is NBD but the effects are felt at as early as 70 SOC versus the 2019. The total drop off doesn’t happen until a very low SOC but I don’t like the way the 2021 performed against the 2019. The YouTube videos last night were at 57 degrees which is pretty close to the target engine temp of 12C right? That’s gotta be somewhat comforting.

Tough call. I recognize there are a lot of people saying this is NBD but the effects are felt at as early as 70 SOC versus the 2019. The total drop off doesn’t happen until a very low SOC but I don’t like the way the 2021 performed against the 2019. The YouTube videos last night were at 57 degrees which is pretty close to the target engine temp of 12C right? That’s gotta be somewhat comforting.
Surely the same thing will happen in the new Model S and X? I believe they have the heat pump as well?

Surely the same thing will happen in the new Model S and X? I believe they have the heat pump as well?
Probably want to see more real world proof at more reasonable temps like 20 to 40 before understanding the scope of the problem. It doesn’t get to 17 below where I live but tens and twenties are common. We have evidence at sub zero temps and we have evidence at 57 degrees. It would be nice to see something in between.

Seems logical. I do think those living in really cold climates may want to wait and see how Tesla addresses this.

I think Tesla not only knows this. Its most probable not a glitch/issue but a chosen sollution. Either they need more data on the new 2170L cell, or they know that this battery have to be limited (forever).

Hoping for a quick solution or change might make one disappointed.

Are we sure LR is getting this 2170L battery as well? I am waiting for a LR delivery next month...

Slightly off topic, but:

How do we know what the battery type is of a specific vehicle? For example, how do you know the 2170L is in the M3P and how do we know the specs?

How do we know the 18560 is in the Model X and S? How do I find out the specs of them?

Slightly off topic, but:

How do we know what the battery type is of a specific vehicle? For example, how do you know the 2170L is in the M3P and how do we know the specs?

How do we know the 18560 is in the Model X and S? How do I find out the specs of them?
For M3P there was this spec sheet etc.
Übersicht 2021 LR / P Batteriekapazität Fahrzeugschein
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

For S and X Tesla said that they use old 18650 but in structure. Later on this plaid+ use 4860 cells.

• Informative
Reactions: Venom
I think Tesla not only knows this. Its most probable not a glitch/issue but a chosen sollution. Either they need more data on the new 2170L cell, or they know that this battery have to be limited (forever).

Hoping for a quick solution or change might make one disappointed.
I’m personally not expecting any fix at all which is why I would buy a different car if I lived in a cold climate. I agree that Tesla knows exactly what they are doing with these batteries.

Slightly off topic, but:

For model 3 LR and Performance, I guess we know because people connect Scan My Tesla and they see 82 in "nominal full pack when new". There isn't any other battery apart from 2170L that has this capacity today.

• Informative
Reactions: Venom