Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you say "would"? The currently sold E3CD is exactly that. Old LR/P 2170C Battery Pack with Heat pump. So far I've only heard performance driver complain, but maybe it's just normal behaviour, that LR drivers don't bother so much about Performance.

Here is a read out made today by an E3CD driver in Germany. No surprises there...

View attachment 638486

Also quite a few receivers of E3CD got the boost option for free. No one knows why. Tesla compensating for the low performance at low temperatures?

With the cap on the old Pana and that maximum power is lower, it will be a lot less noticeable...

Why do you say "would"? The currently sold E3CD is exactly that. Old LR/P 2170C Battery Pack with Heat pump. So far I've only heard performance driver complain, but maybe it's just normal behaviour, that LR drivers don't bother so much about Performance.
Here is a read out

Yes, I know that the old 2170 cells is used with heat pump in the LR. But I am not aware of any tests* for power at low SOC* so I say ”I’m leaning to believe” because I dont know. (English not my native language.)

*except for this one:
Model Y, 2020 with Acceleration boost: MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc
My June 2020 MY AB feels very sluggish at low SoC (<25%). One test I just did was:
SoC: 25%
Voltage: 340
Cell temp: 63.5F
Max power: 144 kW

With a 98% SoC, the max power is 356 kW when the battery if 75 degrees F.

Car is still very fast down to ~30% or so. At highway speeds below 20%, it's so sluggish, it's unpleasant.

(I hope it's OK for a Model Y post here since we share the same battery.)

63.5F = 17.5C according to my calcs. Hotter battery than the M3P refresh goal of 10C.

This is my 25% data I did get:
25% SOC = 180kW (battery +8C)

Not the same car, but I actually had more power in my M3P with colder battery.
What I mean is that despite all complaints about ”software” etc and ”thinking about not getting the M3P” power loss at low SOC+ cold batt might work the same for both 2170 and 2170L if the battery have the same temperature. And that batterys in general perform worse cold, and that Tesla might even protect the battery by limiting power(which I see as a good thing).

Reactions: eivissa
Different side note:
The E5D LG pack is actually a great battery for colder climate regions. I have mentioned that before and cant emphasize it enough. I would choose that battery over the E3CD (2170C) in a long range anytime...if I weren't already driving the Performance 82.
Can you expand a little on this topic? Why would you pick the E5D over E3CD in colder climates? I will soon be picking up my M3LR and it has the E5D, should I not try to get E3CD instead? It live in the same region as AAKEE so we have long and cold winters. Thanks.

Can you expand a little on this topic? Why would you pick the E5D over E3CD in colder climates? I will soon be picking up my M3LR and it has the E5D, should I not try to get E3CD instead? It live in the same region as AAKEE so we have long and cold winters. Thanks.

The LG is more resistant to cold, so it will perform better at lower SOC. So for long and cold winters it seems to be the best choice.

Reactions: eivissa
I’ve been reading through the thread but there is a lot of information to sift through here so I apologize if this has previously been answered. Is there solid evidence that the US long range deliveries are recently receiving both E5D and E3D batteries just like Europe did? Are there significant downsides to the LG battery other than slightly less range due to size and taking a few minutes longer to charge at a supercharger? I’m expecting delivery of a LR AWD in Utah next month and am trying to catch up on all the battery knowledge here. I only plan to supercharge on very rare occasions so I don’t think the LG battery would be much of a problem for me.

Is there solid evidence that the US long range deliveries are recently receiving both E5D and E3D batteries just like Europe did?

The US vehicles cannot have the LG battery, because they must start with a capacity of 77.8kWh or so, per the EPA test results (manufacturers are not allowed to reduce the amount of energy available; the tests must be repeatable in an audit). That is outside the capability of the LG battery, and the range would be limited to ~340 rated miles.

Only Panasonics, or equivalent capacity, in the US, until there is a new EPA test and further stratification of options (all of which would be visible on the fueleconomy.gov website). I don't think that will happen in the near term.

Here is a read out made today by an E3CD driver in Germany. No surprises there...

View attachment 638486

Also quite a few receivers of E3CD got the boost option for free. No one knows why. Tesla compensating for the low performance at low temperatures?

Wait, boost for free? What is this source of that statement (and where can I claim mine :p )

Also quite a few receivers of E3CD got the boost option for free. No one knows why. Tesla compensating for the low performance at low temperatures

Are you sure it's E3CD because in France, option boost activated for free seems to be only on some E5D, with LG pack so, but we don t know why some have it and some have not. We re supposing an association motor/ LG battery.
No E3CD found at the moment but we are searching...

Reactions: Npap
Cool. So that takes us (finally) to the ~256Wh/mi, 159Wh/km value that we have expected (though it wasn't 100% clear whether they were going to reduce the constant or increase the energy to make it match EPA - based on the EPA energy available, we expected a reduction in the constant, though), down from the previously calculated 260Wh/mi (I think exact). Presumably this is happening in the US as well.

Maybe it's actually 255Wh/mi; I don't really know - you're sure your exact nominal full is still 80.6kWh exactly (would suggest closer to 255Wh/mi)?

Anyway, we finally have a match to EPA, it appears, after 3 months - from here, they will likely only increase EPA range, if they ever "max out" this pack to the 82.1kWh FPWN value. Would need new EPA runs for that, though.

During the drive to work yesterday I did manage to drive according to the range display.
Seems like the range calculation use a value rounded to 158W/km, and full battery to achieve 508km is about 80.6kwh, so it might be 158.X Wh/km. I did see 80.1kwh as nominal full the other day, but didnt check the nominal full range. Ill be back with that later.
8F2185C0-768E-4C59-99EB-C463A056C7A3.jpeg

[QUOTE="FredMt, post: 5356415, member: 135151" in France, option boost activated for free seems to be only on some E5D, with LG pack so, but we don t know why some have it and some have not. We re supposing an association motor/ LG battery.
[/QUOTE]
Do you know if the boost for free was asked by customers or why they've got that?
Which french forum you're getting those info?
Thanks!

Why would you pick the E5D over E3CD in colder climates?

As @Devils son already answered, the LG is performing noticeably better in colder climates. It is barely ever power limited in a way that the driver notices it and it still pulls hard with a cold battery. Definately the one I would pick, if I lived in a cold environment.

Charakterisierung LR AWD Antrieb E5D mit LG Chem Akku

Are you sure it's E3CD
Actually I am not so sure anymore. Right now only E5D drivers seem to claim that they have got it for free, but it is hard to see a system behind it. Definately not free on all cars and I am still quite sure at least one driver was E3CD, but I have to find his post again.

Reactions: FredMt
Just adding to this long thread.
Picked up my Long Range M3 2021 in December, finally got Scan my Tesla.
- New Headlights, RHD in the UK

Not sure if this data is much use with everything out there so far. But thought I’d add it to the mix

Img View attachment 640040 View attachment 640041

I also picked up my LR on the 11th December, shipped on the Grand Aurora. When did you collect yours? What range does yours show on the app at 100%? I note scan my Tesla is equating to the WLTP. It looks like you have the Panasonic battery...but I imagine soft locked at the moment!

[QUOTE="FredMt, post: 5356415, member: 135151" in France, option boost activated for free seems to be only on some E5D, with LG pack so, but we don t know why some have it and some have not. We re supposing an association motor/ LG battery.
Do you know if the boost for free was asked by customers or why they've got that?
Which french forum you're getting those info?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Boost is not asked by customers, it is just activated for free (by Tesla) on some E5D models which are delivered at the moment. Very strange but real. We are trying to make a comparison between the models, to try to understand a little, but for now without success.

It appears that for LR E5D which have the boost option enabled (by Tesla), option is no more available for purchase in Tesla app.
On the other hand, those who do not have the option activated can buy it, always via the Tesla app.

On a model where the boost is enabled, choise "sport" well appears in drive / acceleration menu.
Performance tests show about 3,9s from 0 to 100km/h. So boost is really there.

Last edited:
Just adding to this long thread.
Picked up my Long Range M3 2021 in December, finally got Scan my Tesla.
- New Headlights, RHD in the UK

Not sure if this data is much use with everything out there so far. But thought I’d add it to the mix

Img View attachment 640040 View attachment 640041

Interesting information. LR E3D I presume. You re battery pack seems to be not capped at about 75kWh like in Europe. I would said that you have a car like in US. Do you confirm you have heat pump ?
Do you know from where your car come from ? Fremont or China ?

Last edited: