Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that (currently) I do not use the heat pump, the outside temperature is about 16-18 degrees celsius, what worries me is the comparison with the 2020 model car which consumed very little despite the winter tires.
With the 2021 model I can't stay below 180 w / km where with the 2020 model I consumed 150 w / km
(driving carefully)
On the motorway the difference is even greater
I had a weekly average of 168Wh/km yesterday. We did have a couple of days with slightly above zero degrees C, and I got about 140Wh/km during two days back and forth to the work(94km round trip). I can use two alternate roads, of which one is more or less 80km/h all the way, and the other is highway 90/100/110 km/h but with partly road construction and slower speeds. Both seem to give the same consumption.
During these 140Wh/km I was drivin carefylly but I did follow the traffic and for the 80km/h road I mostly keept 80km/h with the AP, and for a part of the trip 90km/h. Did start from the warm garage in the morning and it was outside at work with preheat(planned departure).
I have 19"studded(235/40-19 Michelin X ice north4 on aftermarket 19").

This is lower consumption values than my collegue get with a '2019 Long Range and he use the 18" stock wheels with aero cups. According to him he only see these numbers during the summer.

My average is 212Wh/km over 5500km since new, this includes 1700km long trip highway driving at 120-130km/h and also a some of the daily trips with the heatpump in the high noice mode with increased consumption.
I do not think theres any issues with the 20170L battery generally, for me everything except the heat pump issue seems very good. And for the heat pump there is a fix.

Reactions: M3-Ita
The problem is that (currently) I do not use the heat pump, the outside temperature is about 16-18 degrees celsius, what worries me is the comparison with the 2020 model car which consumed very little despite the winter tires.
With the 2021 model I can't stay below 180 w / km where with the 2020 model I consumed 150 w / km
(driving carefully)
On the motorway the difference is even greater
M3-ita, We could speak in Italian LOL.
I start to be worried about your feedback. I'm just expecting delivery of my new 2021 M3P next week or about in ten days.
What @eivissa said made me OK performance wise with 021.4.11 update.
What @AAKEE said made me OK efficiency wise .
What you said about you and your friends make me nervous, considering I sold my LR AWD w/accel boost with a total average of 150 Wh/km in 35,000 km.

Reactions: M3-Ita
I start to be worried about your feedback. I'm just expecting delivery of my new 2021 M3P next week or about in ten days.
What you said about you and your friends make me nervous, considering I sold my LR AWD w/accel boost with a total average of 150 Wh/km in 35,000 km.
Stating the obvious, isn’t the whole point of the heat pump to improve efficiency? What could be causing worse efficiency?

Stating the obvious, isn’t the whole point of the heat pump to improve efficiency? What could be causing worse efficiency?
AAKEE is having 168 Wh/Km on full week using for sure the heat on cabin (he's in Sweden so even if he consider "warm"a day just sligtly over 0°C) .
SO how can't you do better than 180 Wh/Km consdering that probably you not even used the heater at 16-18°C?
I'ts a problem of 2021 M3P delivered in Italy?
The use of the Heatpump can improve efficiency only if compared to the use of the standard (2020) heater, NOT compared to the use of the car without using the heater.

Very strange,... what you mean when you say: "M3P is very energy efficient, around 10% better than the 2019 M3LR." ?
Probably the new 2021 P3D can be better than the previous P model , not better (in mileage) than a Long Range AWD+.
I had a 2019 LR AWD and I'm waiting a 2021 Performance model , I really doubt I can do better with the new car compared with the old.
My old LR AWD+ 2019 was fantastic. I can't believe the 2021 P can be better.
Measuring in wh/km. 10% better with both on 18 inch, 15% better with both on 20 inch, nu that might not be the best comparison, because I am running wider tires on the LR.

But actually, when both are on 18 inch, I really think the P will have the edge on the LR range wise as well, at least in Europe, because the battery in Europe got smaller and the P got a bigger battery.

AAKEE is having 168 Wh/Km on full week using for sure the heat on cabin (he's in Sweden so even if he consider "warm"a day just sligtly over 0°C) .
SO how can't you do better than 180 Wh/Km consdering that probably you not even used the heater at 16-18°C?
I'ts a problem of 2021 M3P delivered in Italy?
The use of the Heatpump can improve efficiency only if compared to the use of the standard (2020) heater, NOT compared to the use of the car without using the heater.

Driving habits, type of road and environment makesso big difference that I do not think we can compare between each other like that.

The heat pump issue, if not fixed by changing some high pressure sensors etc, might cause much higher consumption if it goes to what I believe is the emergency heating mode(direct heat, by Trslas description). Earlier, there was no heat when it failed so you could not ’not notice’ it.
After some software updates, I never seem to get out of heat. This means, some people might use the car with failed heat pump without noticing the failed status and then the car would use much more energy. But only if hesting is needed.

This is exactly my comparison: LR with boost 2019 vs P 2021.

You won’t be disappointed. It is a better car in all aspects. Both are great cars of course.

Hi all,

Did you know that M3 LR 2021 is warming up battery on regular base while "awake" (SENTRY MODE ON)?
I find this quite interesting and I wonder if this is something to protect the battery or to keep car "ready" from cruising. Please share your experience.

I documented my findings in this video:

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
The 2021.4.11 update seems to have finally brought the de-restriction of the 2021 M3P as we have hoped for.

Before 2021.4.11 my car would hit the lower voltage limit at full throttle from 40% SoC touching 280V briefly and stabilizing at 295V.

Now the voltage can drop to as low as 260V briefly and stay at 270V. With higher speeds it climbs to 280V max.

The car feels a lot stronger below 40% SoC now. Even at 18% it was pulling comparably to 40% before the update. I for my part am really happy how the cars performance has changed and look forward to the feedback of other drivers!

No preparations, slightly uphill:
20% SoC / 0-100kph / 4.03s

View attachment 642657

This is a comparison of 2021.4.6 vs 2021.4.11 @ 10% SoC and about 15°C cell temp...when the 2021 M3P used to be quite terrible!
0-100kph went down from 14.6s to 8.8s!

Here is why...
Zwischenablage.jpg

Nice that the performance is increased. However coming from an ICE-car that performs even better when fuel is low the 100-120 km/h acceleration at 5,2 seconds according to the chart seems very poor :(

Those numbers would be at least two seconds faster with a warmer battery. Also...driving around at 10% SoC is not something you would do on a daily basis. I have really tried to show that worst case scenario from the Björn Nyland video were the car was getting really slow. With the update it feels quite ok at 10% with an average battery temperature (15°C is neither warm nor cold). It still has quite an initial punch, that you even see in the charts, but that dies down pretty quick. To compensate for this, the car is now allowed to drop its voltage incremently. This was hard locked at 295V before. Now, depending on the battery temperature the lower limit is 270v -> 260(ish)V.

20% SoC with a warm battery is a more likely worst case in daily driving. In that scenario the car was doing 0-60mph in 3.9s! Twice as fast as the situation I am showing in the charts.

I'd love to see a graph like you say with acceleration 0-120 (higher speeds would be great if possible) and note the outside temp, at 20% SOC. Just looked at an ID3 accelerating in autumn at 50 km range left and it did 100-120 at around 2 seconds.

I was surprised to see 2021.4.12 downloaded to my M3P this morning, since I didn’t see it on the sites I usually track (Teslafi, teslascope, notateslaapp, etc.) and it’s been a long time - as in, years - since I was the first to get any new update (I usually get them a few days after first discovery).

So if you’re subscribed to Teslafi updates and received an email stating “Software version 2021.4.12 was just detected on a Model 3 Performance in California”, that’s me!

Anyway, the only thing besides the typical bug fixes are “cold weather improvements”, whatever that is. No sight of any “Download FSD Beta” button, sadly.

View attachment 643823

2021.4.12 might make it (more or less) official!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hi. I got my tesla model 3 last week. Delighted. But I can only charge to 400km and I can only charged at a rate of 10kWe per hour which is ridiculous. I have tried at several charging stations. Tesla service say discharge down to 10% and then drive to a tesla supercharger????. I understand teh dynamics of charging and rates but surely there is something wrong. Can anyone help on this?.

Hi. I got my tesla model 3 last week. Delighted. But I can only charge to 400km and I can only charged at a rate of 10kWe per hour which is ridiculous. I have tried at several charging stations. Tesla service say discharge down to 10% and then drive to a tesla supercharger????. I understand teh dynamics of charging and rates but surely there is something wrong. Can anyone help on this?.

This is very little information. Which model of 2021 do you have? Are you getting 10kW charge rate at a Supercharger, or a Level 2 charger? What do you have the charge limit set to?

Do you have any pictures of the situation? Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Those numbers would be at least two seconds faster with a warmer battery. Also...driving around at 10% SoC is not something you would do on a daily basis. I have really tried to show that worst case scenario from the Björn Nyland video were the car was getting really slow. With the update it feels quite ok at 10% with an average battery temperature (15°C is neither warm nor cold). It still has quite an initial punch, that you even see in the charts, but that dies down pretty quick. To compensate for this, the car is now allowed to drop its voltage incremently. This was hard locked at 295V before. Now, depending on the battery temperature the lower limit is 270v -> 260(ish)V.

20% SoC with a warm battery is a more likely worst case in daily driving. In that scenario the car was doing 0-60mph in 3.9s! Twice as fast as the situation I am showing in the charts.
I agree. Also, most performance based ICE cars significantly reduce power at low fuel reserve (10%-12% fuel level) to protect the fuel system and engine e.g. BMW cars with B58 turbo 3.0L on the lower fuel reserve value go to a low fuel/limp type map with very low power.

I've done testing in 2021 M3P at 18% SOC in a warm climate 3.6s 0 -100 km/h Performance Model 3 Drag Race - 2021 vs 2018 - Is it Faster?

Reactions: FredMt and eivissa