Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also noted that the "missing regen dots" didn't appear until I put the car in drive. I guess it is not calculated while charging? I see some people in the german forum post about battery is reporting 82kW (in their paper) getting 536 at 100% with 48.10, which is about same as mine (535-539). I tried to figure out how to take a picture of the physical battery but couldn't find the correct hole...Will try again tomorrow. Also I unfortunately don't know anyone with SMT close to me (Oslo area). Would have reported if I did. Can try to take a new picture of energy later today using the 25km or 50km tab so that the numbers don't jump so fast. (Almost only up or downhill where I live, barely any flat road so it is hard to keep it in the middle. The only one is the highway, and at highway speeds (100+km/h) I'm sitting at 190-230 consumption I believe so that won't provide the numbers we're after). I'm really curious to what tesla have done with the batteries. (Mostly what the difference between P and LR will be, as I was really close to buying the P but hesitated. But if I knew it would get new battery and not LR I would have taken the P)

@khelge

Here is mine at 99%

lP7lrcm.png

Here is yours. It is a bit better, but not a ton. How far after you started driving did you take this picture?
30Z2Rfy.jpg

Here is yours. It is a bit better, but not a ton. How far after you started driving did you take this picture?

He provided a picture while he was sitting at the Supercharger, but in drive, at 100%. It's posted above.

I tried to figure out how to take a picture of the physical battery but couldn't find the correct hole...

As outlined here earlier, you can do it if you turn front wheels all the way to the left, use a flashlight, and go from behind the right front wheel, above the suspension pieces with your phone and take pictures angled down toward the front of the battery. It's an awkward reach but it's definitely possible assuming the label isn't covered in junk.

I'm not sure it's going to tell you anything useful though.

Or you can take off the bottom aero shield and then it's super easy.

Basically: I unplugged, drove 100 meters. Went around a roundabout, drove 80 meters down the road and took the picture. So picture taken about 200-230 meters after unplugging. Wanted to show the actual green regen line so accelerated out of the roundabout and then let go for regen to kick in. @TimothyHW3 I have sendt him a msg on facebook, but I heard in his last stream that he is fully booked till January so doubt ill hear back from him in a while

I unplugged, drove 100 meters. Went around a roundabout, drove 80 meters down
Well, yours was after a supercharging session where the car gets hammered to above 40C. Mine was after a slow 11kW charge early in a cold morning at 5AM where the car was charged overnight and was cooling off for about an hour. I am still not really convinced you have much more regen than with the old batteries. Maybe a slightly more, but hard to compare unless I can supercharge to 100% which I never do.

Hi @AlanSubie4Life , here 10 AM , hope to find some time to work on the harness mounting during the day, but i want to leave you with some info.

A thread i've made here has been moved by a mod in the Battery discussion but was relevant to our discussion:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/bjorn-charge-test-v3-ionity-lr-2021-lg-chem-vs-lr-2019-pana.215510/

From that thread, in case you've missed i show you that pic:
Chinese batteries.jpg

On the left the LG Chem in question fitted on a MIC LR RWD in july.
Production of the NMC811 format 2170 by LG for Tesla should have started, for the first time, in may or june in Nanjing in a new plnt near GigaShangai. New format, new chemistry.
Right side is a 2019 Panasonic NCA.
The chinese gov oblige to declare battery capacity for some few bureaucratic reasons.

LG Chem: 355.2 V - 216.2 Ah = 76.8 kWh Gross capacity (allegedly)
Panasonic 2019: 360 V - 225 Ah = 81 kWh Gross

This is a well known Pana battery, you can make all the comparison you wants.
As can be seen from the graph, the LG is also castrated in charging speed at the V3.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the point is, the NMC811 is the new thing and all the chinese builders, LG, CATL, SK innovation, are moving their production to them. Panasonic remained the only one to produce NCA. LG & SK are even legal fighting for those 811. They are fitting it in BMW, etc...
Why's that?

On a separate thread, when i get the time, Jeff Dahn results on 811 & all the info i can get on the 811, the new thing.
Shortly, their values of energy density are the highest now achievable in current production, have the best cycle number & degradation, have the same 80% of Ni of the NCA (so same attitude to fire), but 10% Co rather than 15% so cheaper, and 10% Manganese rather the 5% Alu.

So, IN THEORY, you're getting right that those battery are highly underrated, because in actual fact they should have more energy than the Panasonic NCA, possibly even the new +5% one, (how they got it? Further increase in Ni?) looking to the reported max energy density for the NMC811.

Independently of what we will find with the update, is clear enough that a bare increase in voltage, possible in every moment outside China (they should re-homologate in China), can largely increase the capacity of those battery, at the least getting the value of the Panasonic old NCA and keeping a margin of safety over them.

A battery is not only made of cells and those batteries are in production in that format from LG only by few months: it's totally conceivable that we are doing the guinea pigs for Tesla, as always, so the battery is at least highly castrated for testing reason.

As far as we know is more than technically possible to increase their capacity by a large number in time trough updates.
Whether this will happen and in what degree, we cannot know, at all.

But for the time being, they have the highest theoretical energy density, lowest price excluded LFPs, and are the most advanced batteries on the market. No wonder Tesla does'nt wants to be excluded.

Last edited:
Not sure I can bring anything more to the table;
11kW charging to 100% this morning, average consumption 50km = 198wh/km, estimated range = 377 km.

19 regen dots after putting in drive.
546 range displayed.
Outside temp 7°C

Did you manage to charge to 100%? What does it say for km?

So, 546 km displayed. The rest are consumption screen stats. No SMT availability for me...

NA build. Range went from 348 mi @ delivery to 353 mi after update.
Can't upload photos for some reason, check below for energy details:
NA Model 3

Can someone help me with calculating the full capacity?
Nice job on the graphs showing all the pertinent data.

Constant before = 471/500 x 148 = 139.4 Wh/km
Capacity before = 500/.9 x .1394 = 77.44 kWh

Constant after = 518/506 x 134 = 137.2 Wh/km
Capacity after = 506/.89 x .1372 = 78.00 kWh

Considering the rounding errors involved, I would say your capacity probably hasn't changed but your constant looks like it has.

@AlanSubie4Life

OBDLINK fitted.
Because the imminent lockdown, and my will to charge at 100% with the new update and the relative need to do some few kms afterward (possible only today), i'm doing the following:

- Taken at the same time @64% SMT screenshot with the battery data and the two energy screen.
- Now 2020.48.12.1 is installing.
- Wil take @6X%, when installation is complete, SMT screenshot with the battery data and the two energy screen.
- Go to SuC and charge 100%
- Take SMT screenshot & 2 energy screen.

I don't know yet how to save the entire list of battery data with SMT, other than a partial screenshot, if you may need other data apart the the nominal, when new, degradation, buffer, please let me know.

if you may need other data apart the the nominal, when new, degradation, buffer, please let me know.

Be safe out there.

Anyway, if you grab the voltage at 100% that might be useful. I would screen capture what I could for future reference, before and after update, even at the lower SOC, just for future reference (no need to post unless something proved relevant). Not sure if we have any documented values for the 100% voltage to compare to with the prior firmware for 74.5kWh though (maybe some of Bjorn’s videos?).

Nice job on the graphs showing all the pertinent data.

Constant before = 471/500 x 148 = 139.4 Wh/km
Capacity before = 500/.9 x .1394 = 77.44 kWh

Constant after = 518/506 x 134 = 137.2 Wh/km
Capacity after = 506/.89 x .1372 = 78.00 kWh

Considering the rounding errors involved, I would say your capacity probably hasn't changed but your constant looks like it has.

100% agreed on all points. Finally, confirmation that Tesla has adjusted the constant (apparently on all AWD non-Ps) to what I thought it would be nearly two months ago. These vehicles will now show ~568rkm/353 rated miles, at 100%. When new.

There's a lot more unknown about the Performance (specifically what is the "max" capacity, nominally?), so hopefully someone can do exactly the same thing and capture the relevant pictures there (post update only is fine, I think we have the data pre-update, as I recall...Performance Data - ~80.3kWh & 162Wh/rkm)

• Informative
Reactions: ran349 and jaqueh
These vehicles will now show ~568rkm/353 rated miles, at 100%. When new.

Also, if (big if!) they have a battery of the correct available capacity...as covered ad nauseum here, already, there are “a few” vehicles in Europe where this may not apply, currently. ;) About 77.8kWh (haven’t thought out a good reliable way to determine this target more precisely) appears to be the target capacity.