Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at the stator temps, mine reached 107C IIRC. But the cell temp mid is lower than 2019.

upload_2021-2-12_0-55-20.png

• Love
Reactions: AAKEE
Hi from Munich, Germany. :)
After several BMW, Mercedes, Porsche I ordered my first Tesla Model 3 Performance a couple of weeks ago, which is currently on its way to Germany. After reading and viewing LOTS of information I'm couting the days for the Model 3 to arrive.

Unfortunately I have read bad news about the new 2170L batteries which my M3P will have as well.
According to the test from Bjorn
the 2021 M3P performs MUCH slower on lower state of charge.
With 10% the "old" M3P makes 0-100 in 5,5 seconds wheres the new 2021 takes nearly 15!! seconds.

I'm not sure if this can/will soon be fixed? I'm thinking about cancelling my order and maybe looking for a used 2019 instead :-(

m3p.JPG

Actually the old model outperforms the new one with 60% SoC and lower (this means nearly anytime being on the road).
You're right, this seems to be only on colder temperatures, however we do have winter in Germany as well, having 5°F currently.

So you think the heat pump could be optimized via software?

Is this a joke. The inconsistent power across SoC is the #2 thing I dislike about this car, #1 being the weight. It actually gets worse with 2021+ models? I wonder if they'll be able to rectify this with a software update... Or would that mean you have to freeze your ass off?

The battery temperatures are much lower affecting performance - I think Bjorn pointed out that the heatpump seems to be sucking possibly too much heat out.

You'd imagine they'll correct this in software although I guess it's a trade between perf and efficiency but the sub 30% figures don't look great.
Yeah the huge difference in temps seem to be the cause. Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no chemistry change for the M3P, so it can't be any change in the battery.

At similar temps I imagine there won't be much difference.

Is this a joke. The inconsistent power across SoC is the #2 thing I dislike about this car, #1 being the weight. It actually gets worse with 2021+ models? I wonder if they'll be able to rectify this with a software update... Or would that mean you have to freeze your ass off?

Keeping the battery warmer by scavenging less heat from it wouldn’t sacrifice comfort, but it would definitely decrease the heat pump’s efficiency.

They run motors in heating mode (and it takes away more power than just what goes to heat) to compensate for it, but they allow cell temperature to go too low and then you have low charge, low temps and heating mode robbing power together.

You can't just turn off heat pump and maintain cabin temperature.

Anyway, I think they will raise cell temperature low limit. New cells are clearly higher power. Whether it will be enough to have larger battery to compensate for inefficiency, I don't know.

Well that car is a v13 so they could have made a mistake and acknowledge that the car is an E3D, but no way E3CD. The latter only came with v14!

I’m out of my depth here in terms of versions, clearly! So it’s not sure it’s an E3D just because of the battery? I thought it would be. And if it is an E3D, has Tesla ever changed their COC paperwork afterwards at a customers request that we know?

Perhaps I have missed something here, but I don’t quite understand the angst/concern over loss of power output (regardless of how great that loss is) when you are 10% SOC and lower. Doesn’t it make sense for Tesla to intentionally program the vehicle to limit power output when the SOC is really low? When you’re that low, isn’t it more important for 99% of the population/users who are driving the vehicle to conserve energy so they can make it to their destination... rather than worrying about 0-100 times?

Is the OP really considering cancelling his/her order just for this reason?

????

Edit: OK, sorry about that. I missed seeing/reading the chart that shows 0-100 times at various higher SOC. If this information is accurate and applies to all 2021’s, then I agree that would be a significant drop in performance during more normal driving conditions (i.e. higher SOC). Hope Tesla can/will address this with a software update for 2021 owners.

Last edited:
Cool. So that takes us (finally) to the ~256Wh/mi, 159Wh/km value that we have expected (though it wasn't 100% clear whether they were going to reduce the constant or increase the energy to make it match EPA.

Yes, I get 158.6 Wh/km using my values.
I guess the range would increase if the nominal full increased.
I think I saw 81.2kwh as most, might give 511km range If the BMS says the same again.

Dont know for the EPA test of the Performance refresh, how much they actually did draw in the test?

GeenHokie,

I mostly drive between two spots that are 100 miles apart. I don't have charing possibility on the second spot, so I will be driving home mostly with an SoC of 50% or lower, coming home with 10-20% SoC.
The way between is Autobahn and rural roads where you would have to pass trucks (they drive slower than cars in Europe). It is a security concern, when I need lets say 3 seconds to pass a truck on my way from home (90% SoC), and 10 seconds on my way to home (20% SoC) just because the battery is empty.

Any SR+ has more power with 30% SoC as 2021 performance, thats sad!

GeenHokie,

I mostly drive between two spots that are 100 miles apart. I don't have charing possibility on the second spot, so I will be driving home mostly with an SoC of 50% or lower, coming home with 10-20% SoC.
The way between is Autobahn and rural roads where you would have to pass trucks (they drive slower than cars in Europe). It is a security concern, when I need lets say 3 seconds to pass a truck on my way from home (90% SoC), and 10 seconds on my way to home (20% SoC) just because the battery is empty.

Any SR+ has more power with 30% SoC as 2021 performance, thats sad!

Understood, Oktoberfest. Thank you for elaborating on your typical drive/use case. I do understand your concern now. Hopefully, the results shown in the video posted by Bjorn are not typical of all 2021 Performance models. It doesn’t appear to be the case since MasterC17 has a 2021 Performance and does not experience the same results as Bjorn.

Last edited:
The battery temperature is by far the biggest factor here. I have a 2020 AWD+ which normally has like 450hp? This week I left the car outside and did not preheat: battery was at -6C (21F), with 49% SOC. When I left home ScanMyTesla reported a max power output of 75kW, which is around 100hp. It was frighteningly slow indeed. Needless to say I also had 0 regen :) It got better as I drove. The issue with the 2021 is the scavenging of heat from the battery for efficiency's sake. I hope they "fix" this in a future update.
In warm weather you shouldn't see nearly as much difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV