Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR3’s (RHD) arrived in Sydney last week from Shanghai). I pick mine up in 2 days. Not sure of internal dash trim/wrap around, but, LR battery is 74.5kw and NMC (VIN code LRW3F7EB4MCxxxxxx consumption “sticker” shows 131W/km (ordered 13feb, collect 4th March )

• Informative
Reactions: Npap
Good info. I put that caveat in there because I have no idea, since I have zero experience in those conditions. Seems conceivable, since they keep track of how much of the pack is locked out by the blue snowflake, that they can still give proper estimates, as long as the available SOC (after applying deduction of blue area) is not too low. (There are two different SOC values it keeps track of.)

I did a litlle test today.
I realized, after reading ypor post that I might not have done this test with a battery sub sero + the blue snowflake.

We actually have above zero C temps now( warmer than usual), its been around +3 to + 5 C.
After being more than one day in the garage (+14C) and charged to 70%, I left for work.
SMT(BMS) reported 79.9kWh as Nominal full pack.( degradation has started just a little I guess :confused: )
70%, 167Wh and 336km= 80.2 kwh

When arriving at work:
62%, 145Wh and 340km = 79.5 kWh

After the day at work, before starting to move from the above point, no preheat( I think):
57%, 145wh and 312km= 79.4 kWh
Battery temp not checked, but somewhere closer to 5C as standing over the day and arriving at about 12C.

Ive seen the SOC lower other days just by standing over the day earlier.

At home again,
47%, 145wh and 260km= 80.2 kwh.

All readings quite close. Expected variations that comes from the only two value figures in SOC.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
About the Acceleration boost on E5D LR AWD, I have to say that in Italy i saw people be happy to have it (CHILL and SPORT).
Unfortunately after some day they noticed that Acceleration mode changed to: "CHILL - STANDARD" .

Here are some extractions of the two videos posted by Björn Nyland about the Performance Refresh vs. LG Long Range Refresh.
-The Base Voltage is pretty much identical until 40% SoC. Then the LG keeps a higher Voltage at lower SoC.
-The Voltage under load is lower with the LG and also it holds that low voltage for much longer. The Performance only touches the lowest point and then settles at a higher voltage.
-This results in much higher voltage sag / drop for the LG at SoC below 40%, which translates in those appaling 0-100 times...

I doubt Tesla can do much about the base voltage of the Panasonic pack below 40%, but they can allow the Voltage to drop deeper (260V vs 280V) and for longer to unleach the power at low SoC.

View attachment 636899 View attachment 636900 View attachment 636901 View attachment 636902
The 2021.4.11 update seems to have finally brought the de-restriction of the 2021 M3P as we have hoped for.

Before 2021.4.11 my car would hit the lower voltage limit at full throttle from 40% SoC touching 280V briefly and stabilizing at 295V.

Now the voltage can drop to as low as 260V briefly and stay at 270V. With higher speeds it climbs to 280V max.

The car feels a lot stronger below 40% SoC now. Even at 18% it was pulling comparably to 40% before the update. I for my part am really happy how the cars performance has changed and look forward to the feedback of other drivers!

No preparations, slightly uphill:
20% SoC / 0-100kph / 4.03s

Screenshot_20210307-135137~2.jpg

About poor performance on 2021 P3D due to cold battery in cold climate , i have to say that EVEN with my 2019 LR AWD+ I've noticed reduced performances (much more than past winter) .
It seems that the reduced performances started when I saw in SMT that "Max discharge current" went from 1340A to 1144.
Obviousy we all know that the relative reduced "Max discharge Power" was lower but the "Battery Power" was able to be over "Max discharge Power".
But i think it's strange that the reduced Power i felt was in coincidence with this change in "Max discharge current".

The 2021.4.11 update seems to have finally brought the de-restriction of the 2021 M3P as we have hoped for.

Before 2021.4.11 my car would hit the lower voltage limit at full throttle from 40% SoC touching 280V briefly and stabilizing at 295V.

Now the voltage can drop to as low as 260V briefly and stay at 270V. With higher speeds it climbs to 280V max.

The car feels a lot stronger below 40% SoC now. Even at 18% it was pulling comparably to 40% before the update. I for my part am really happy how the cars performance has changed and look forward to the feedback of other drivers!

No preparations, slightly uphill:
20% SoC / 0-100kph / 4.03s

View attachment 642657
This is excellent news. Thank you for this. I actually thought my car pulled harder at 60SOC than it had before. This seems to be some confirmation.

I had the M3P 2021 a week ago and, having had the 2020 model, I noticed a high increase in consumption on the new car on what, for me, are the standard routes
On average we are 20/25% more than the M3P 2020
Furthermore, arriving at the Super Charger, with the Soc at 30/35% and after more than 75 km with the battery heating, the maximum charge was 82 kw.
In the domestic charge, at the same amperage, the car charges 1-2 km less per hour than the 2020 model.
Software 2021.4.11, batteries E3LD
I am very doubtful and slightly angry. . .

I had the M3P 2021 a week ago and, having had the 2020 model, I noticed a high increase in consumption on the new car on what, for me, are the standard routes
Furthermore, arriving at the Super Charger, with the Soc at 30/35% and after more than 75 km with the battery heating, the maximum charge was 82 kw.
In the domestic charge, at the same amperage, the car charges 1-2 km less per hour than the 2020 model.
Did you notice any difference in performance?

I would have that checked out. MY2021 M3P is very energy efficient, around 10% better than the 2019 M3LR.

No problem with SuC here.

I would have that checked out. MY2021 M3P is very energy efficient, around 10% better than the 2019 M3LR.

No problem with SuC here.
Very strange,... what you mean when you say: "M3P is very energy efficient, around 10% better than the 2019 M3LR." ?
Probably the new 2021 P3D can be better than the previous P model , not better (in mileage) than a Long Range AWD+.
I had a 2019 LR AWD and I'm waiting a 2021 Performance model , I really doubt I can do better with the new car compared with the old.
My old LR AWD+ 2019 was fantastic. I can't believe the 2021 P can be better.

I have a '21 M3P. Live in northern part of Sweden so. basically = 'cold weather delux' ( starting to ease a bit, today -17C).
Its my first Tesla but my collegue have a M3LR '19, with 18" and I run 19". I have a lot lower consumption than he has during the winter period, this should be thanks to the heat pump and octovalve basically.

What Ive seen so far: At colder weathers, below -10C the consumption goes up noticeably but still much lower than the collegues non heatpump version.
Also, the issue with the heat pumps which did cause the heating to stop seem to have gotten a software fix. I havent turned my M3P in for the fix yet(1000km do service center) but the heating always seem to work now. But somtimes, the heatpump have a more aggressive sound, and vibrations can be felt through the steering wheel. I think tihs is some kind of emergency mode. During this drives I can see the consumption get up to 235-240wh/km instead of about 170wh/km on the exakt same road at the same temperature. So I have had a few trips with abnormal consumption but I'm quite sure that this issue will go away when I have hade the car over to the SC for the fix. When the heatpumps "sounds angry" I have seen mostly 6kw battery power when parked instead of 1 or 1.5kw. At 100km/h 6 kilowatt heating ad 60Wh/km so it is a plausible explanation for the increased comsumption.

For Supercharging, Ive only done it on V2 SuC. I think I did get about 137-138kW and maybe a top about 140-142kW each time at the low end. This when charging during cold weather(about -5 to -10C) and the heating of the car running at the same time, so I guess the most of the 150kW is used when putting charge power + heating etc together.

To sum it up, Im quite happy with my M3P.

Reactions: Dave EV and M3-Ita
Probably the new 2021 P3D can be better than the previous P model , not better (in mileage) than a Long Range AWD+.
I had a 2019 LR AWD and I'm waiting a 2021 Performance model , I really doubt I can do better with the new car compared with the old.

In cold weathers Im quite sure the M3P refresh with the heat pump will be noticable more effective than the old M3LR.
This comes own experience with the heat pump workning, and also not working properly. Its a big difference really(see my last post, answer to M3-ita).

In summer or hot climate, probably quite small differences, and I guess the tire/wheel choise will decide the difference.

Reactions: M3-Ita
Did you notice any difference in performance?
the performance is very similar to the 2020 model. I have not done any tests but to my butt they look practically the same, maybe something better in the 50-100 km / h (30-60 mhp) range.
Also my friend with the P 2021 model reports the same problems with the battery, low charge to the Super Charger and high consumption
I'm starting to think that there is some problem to be solved with these E3LD with low cobalt batteries

I have a '21 M3P. Live in northern part of Sweden so. basically = 'cold weather delux' ( starting to ease a bit, today -17C).
Its my first Tesla but my collegue have a M3LR '19, with 18" and I run 19". I have a lot lower consumption than he has during the winter period, this should be thanks to the heat pump and octovalve basically.

What Ive seen so far: At colder weathers, below -10C the consumption goes up noticeably but still much lower than the collegues non heatpump version.
Also, the issue with the heat pumps which did cause the heating to stop seem to have gotten a software fix. I havent turned my M3P in for the fix yet(1000km do service center) but the heating always seem to work now. But somtimes, the heatpump have a more aggressive sound, and vibrations can be felt through the steering wheel. I think tihs is some kind of emergency mode. During this drives I can see the consumption get up to 235-240wh/km instead of about 170wh/km on the exakt same road at the same temperature. So I have had a few trips with abnormal consumption but I'm quite sure that this issue will go away when I have hade the car over to the SC for the fix. When the heatpumps "sounds angry" I have seen mostly 6kw battery power when parked instead of 1 or 1.5kw. At 100km/h 6 kilowatt heating ad 60Wh/km so it is a plausible explanation for the increased comsumption.

For Supercharging, Ive only done it on V2 SuC. I think I did get about 137-138kW and maybe a top about 140-142kW each time at the low end. This when charging during cold weather(about -5 to -10C) and the heating of the car running at the same time, so I guess the most of the 150kW is used when putting charge power + heating etc together.

To sum it up, Im quite happy with my M3P.
The problem is that (currently) I do not use the heat pump, the outside temperature is about 16-18 degrees celsius, what worries me is the comparison with the 2020 model car which consumed very little despite the winter tires.
With the 2021 model I can't stay below 180 w / km where with the 2020 model I consumed 150 w / km
(driving carefully)
On the motorway the difference is even greater