Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seen a user in Germany getting Nominal Remaining to 75.9kWh.
There are of course exceptions, but there are quite a few documented examples of around 77.8kWh nominal full pack being achieved with the old pack on 2020 and earlier vehicles, from SMT. That’s all I was referring to.

I am not going to look them up, but definitely some of them have been posted here. Enough that I just assume that most people reach that. If they didn’t, they would not have started out with 322 rated miles, and most people did (though it decayed fairly rapidly I think for the 2020s).

At least, that’s my understanding from the data I have seen from the last couple years.

There are of course exceptions, but there are quite a few documented examples of around 77.8kWh nominal full pack being achieved with the old pack on 2020 and earlier vehicles, from SMT. That’s all I was referring to.

I am not going to look them up, but definitely some of them have been posted here. Enough that I just assume that most people reach that. If they didn’t, they would not have started out with 322 rated miles, and most people did (though it decayed fairly rapidly I think for the 2020s).
I think you skipped a line while reading my post 🙂
75.9 refers to the LG Pack!
77.9 refers to the old Panasonic.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think you skipped a line while reading my post 🙂
75.9 refers to the LG Pack!
77.9 refers to the old Panasonic.
Ah, I saw that right below the 77kWh screen capture like and I assumed that referred to the 77.8kWh pack in older vehicles. Sorry.

And I totally ignored the line about what Tesla reports to the authorities which is different than FPWN value. Sorry again!

Anyway, my point was just comparing apples to apples - how high do vehicles in SMT get, for nominal full pack, relative to FPWN, in years prior to 2021? As a reference point for 2021. 2021 is much more complicated with apparently at least three different FPWN packs floating around. I thought the packs in 2021 with 77.8kWh FPWN value were usually showing pretty close to 77.8kWh for “nominal full pack” in warm conditions when new? This thread is so long now I have lost track! Though of course they are not allowed to charge to 100%...

Reactions: AAKEE and eivissa
What means SOC UI on SMT?
I was charging my 2021 Performance (AC 11kW) and SOC UI was 80,3%
WhatsApp Image 2021-04-15 at 17.12.37.jpeg
--------------------->The screen was at 78% just when SOC (SMT parameter) started to be 78..78,1 and SOC expected 77,7%

I haven't been watching this thread for a while and have not really been driving that much lately, but has anyone V3 charged on the original MY2021 with the pans battery recently to see whether they have fixed the nerfed SC speeds? I seem to recall last time I did a capacity-calculation with remaining vs range vs consumption i got 75.4 kWH...

I had 80.6 kWh as nominal full pack - this was with a few days old M3P when I connected Scan My Tesla for the first time. Had a 1000 km drive from the delivery of the car, including 4 SuC-sessions.

As I live more or less on the artic circle it have been mostly cold outside( -30C to about 0 until now. This week the temps started to increase.
I had 80.6, charged to 100% SOC( but not until the charge was finished) for a drivea few days after the SMT was connected. Nominal full climbed to 81.1kWh. After this I had a steady drop until 80.1kwh which then was stable for more than two months.
In the beginning of this week, the nominal full started to climb, and climbed about 0.1kwh/day. Now I have 80.9 kWh.
I thought 80.1 was the ”stable degradation”, but maybe the increased outside temp have an effect on this, despite having the car fore the bigger part of the day in the garage at +12-13C ecery day.
I didnt change any behaviour so the daily charge level and Depth of discharge is the same. Anyone that saw the same behaviour when the temps increased after winter ?

I had 80.6 kWh as nominal full pack - this was with a few days old M3P when I connected Scan My Tesla for the first time. Had a 1000 km drive from the delivery of the car, including 4 SuC-sessions.

As I live more or less on the artic circle it have been mostly cold outside( -30C to about 0 until now. This week the temps started to increase.
I had 80.6, charged to 100% SOC( but not until the charge was finished) for a drivea few days after the SMT was connected. Nominal full climbed to 81.1kWh. After this I had a steady drop until 80.1kwh which then was stable for more than two months.
In the beginning of this week, the nominal full started to climb, and climbed about 0.1kwh/day. Now I have 80.9 kWh.
I thought 80.1 was the ”stable degradation”, but maybe the increased outside temp have an effect on this, despite having the car fore the bigger part of the day in the garage at +12-13C ecery day.
I didnt change any behaviour so the daily charge level and Depth of discharge is the same. Anyone that saw the same behaviour when the temps increased after winter ?
I connected SMT the day one. Nominal full Pack was 79,6 . It stayed 79,6 kWh up to 4 days ago (never changed in 3 wheeks).
Here in Italy we already had days with 20°C-22°C with 3 o 4° C during night.
Now it's 79.9kWh. But actually here in Italy this week we had lower temp than usual.(12°C- 2°C). 900 km total odometer on Performance 2021.

I had my best values on SMT on my old LR 2019 in WInter ...and this seems in contrast with your theory.

I connected SMT the day one. Nominal full Pack was 79,6 . It stayed 79,6 kWh up to 4 days ago (never changed in 3 wheeks).
Here in Italy we already had days with 20°C-22°C with 3 o 4° C during night.
Now it's 79.9kWh. But actually here in Italy this week we had lower temp than usual.(12°C- 2°C). 900 km total odometer on Performance 2021.

I had my best values on SMT on my old LR 2019 in WInter ...and this seems in contrast with your theory.
Jud drive it down to 5% and charge it up with low current to 100% and let it sit at 100% charging until it finishes. It will go up to above 80.5

Big and indeed a strange update!

• Tesla started shipping Long Range with unrestricted 82kWh packs to Europe.
  • WLTP has gone up from 580 to 640km.
  • At the same time they are also still delivering 74-75kWh LG packs with the old 580km WLTP.
  • These two very different Long Range versions are sold at the same price at the same time and are coming with the same Ro-Ro cargo ships.
  • I dont want to be a sales assistant with Tesla these days!

Exciting. So many versions of the battery. You are sure they will be 2022, as was asked? Not a mid-year “refresh?”

Anyway, I assume Tesla will push that pack to 81.5kWh or so in the US to get to 370 rated miles EPA. I wonder when it will happen.... Or they will find a way to improve efficiency slightly so they can get there with ~81kWh.

Please disregard the 2022!

This was just me giving it a name to differentiate the two.

Although I am sure the 82kWh pack will be the new "main" battery for the model 3 and therefore remain in 2022.

Btw: consumption went down from 13.8 to 13.7 kWh/100km. Although I don't believe this was due to a hardware change to the "old" 2021 model.

Big and indeed a strange update!

• Tesla started shipping Long Range with unrestricted 82kWh packs to Europe.
  • WLTP has gone up from 580 to 640km.
  • At the same time they are also still delivering 74-75kWh LG packs with the old 580km WLTP.
  • These two very different Long Range versions are sold at the same price at the same time and are coming with the same Ro-Ro cargo ships.
  • I dont want to be a sales assistant with Tesla these days!
It is hard to believe that Tesla will not change anything on the pricing of the 2 "LR models" in the coming weeks.

If so then I hope they'll uncork the 2021 soft-locked panasonics on the LR , or else I'm gonna be really annoyed. I so wish Tesla would stop this russian roulette with the car components and configurations
I am very much certain that this won't happen.

The European 2021 Long Range came with a COC that said 580km electric range. The E3CD overdelivered with probably 610km of electric range, so they capped it to the LG which had to deliver 580km on paper.

The European 2021 Long Range 82kWh comes with a COC that promises 640km of electric range.

They can't cap the 82 to the LG capacity as this won't work with the promised range and so they have no reason to unlock the smaller Panasonic to its full capacity, as it already delivers on the COC EV range.