Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very much certain that this won't happen.

The European 2021 Long Range came with a COC that said 580km electric range. The E3CD overdelivered with probably 610km of electric range, so they capped it to the LG which had to deliver 580km on paper.

The European 2021 Long Range 82kWh comes with a COC that promises 640km of electric range.

They can't cap the 82 to the LG capacity as this won't work with the promised range and so they have no reason to unlock the smaller Panasonic to its full capacity, as it already delivers on the COC EV range.
I hope this isn't the case, or if it is, that the range I'm getting in the car (550tkm@100%) is EPA estimate. If so, then I'm looking more at 610 WLTP if the 1,12x multiplier is correct for tesla M3 as well (EPA->WLTP)

Jud drive it down to 5% and charge it up with low current to 100% and let it sit at 100% charging until it finishes. It will go up to above 80.5
Why in AC? is not the same if done in DC or at a supercharger? any particular reason to perfom all the 5% to 100% in LOW current?
BTW when at 100% (and it continue to charge until if finishes) it charges at a very LOW rate (2 or 3 kW).

There seems to be a pattern in which the Long Range E5D LG stopped production on the last day in March 2021 (Q1) and was fully replaced by E3LD Panasonic 82kWh (Q2).

Screenshot_20210422-111328.png

• Tesla is now advertising 614km of WLTP Range for the Long Range on their website.
  • Q2 Long Range customers received COC's with 580km (LG) and 640km (Panasonic).
  • Maybe Tesla learned a lesson and is now advertising their cars without the extra range from the Energy Buffer!?
Where did this report come from, what does the VIN column correspond to, how does this number correspond to a VIN ?
  • The data is from a German Tesla Forum, where users are trying to make sense of the current long range situation.
  • First row is production date, second row are the first three digits of the VIN range, third row is the 82kWh Panasonic (E3LD), fourth row is the 75kWh LG (E5D)
Screenshot 2021-04-23 095913.jpg

If so then I hope they'll uncork the 2021 soft-locked panasonics on the LR , or else I'm gonna be really annoyed. I so wish Tesla would stop this russian roulette with the car components and configurations
Why would you be annoyed if they not overdeliver? You got the 580 WLTP.

Now it is 614 WLTP. If you order now and you will get a capped one, then you are right to complain.

• Disagree
Reactions: Korgmatose
Hi all,

I was just browsing the Tesla website and to my surprise I see that now the Model 3 LR AWD shows a 614 km estimated WLTP range. This was previously 580 km.

Has anything been announced regarding this? Is it a bigger battery or a software optimization?

And can we expect that if we ordered 2 weeks ago, we will get this range?

Hello, personally I ordered mine 3 weeks ago and my TA said to me this morning that I will receive the last one (614 kms).
but there is something strange : on certificate of conformity given to Germain customers for TM3LR delivered on 20th of May like mine, it is written : range 640 kms (with the E3LC model). I suppose that some new LRs will have the Panasonic battery extended to 640 kms and for the others, LG battery will be extended to 614 kms

Why in AC? is not the same if done in DC or at a supercharger? any particular reason to perfom all the 5% to 100% in LOW current?
BTW when at 100% (and it continue to charge until if finishes) it charges at a very LOW rate (2 or 3 kW).
What if I charge up to 80 or 90 in DC (supercharger) and I finish the process in AC?
The fact is that I have no way (no time & no plug available for 7 /8 hours) to do a complete charge in AC.

Last edited:
I also have a TM3LR on order, I called Tesla and they told me that any Q2 delivery of TM3LR should be with the new extended range.

They also said that it was not a new battery but something else that was changed to save power (but I don't know how much the sales man actually knew)

Is it a bigger battery or a software optimization?

It is probably both. The change from roughly 75kWh (old Panasonic and LG) to the new Panasonic with 81kWh is verified. The change in consumption from 148 to 147kWh/100km is either test variation or improved efficiency from an update as the motors are the same in both old and new one.

And can we expect that if we ordered 2 weeks ago, we will get this range?

If you VIN is from 943 onwards you should be golden.

range 640 kms (with the E3LC model). I suppose that some new LRs will have the Panasonic battery extended to 640 kms and for the others, LG battery will be extended to 614 kms

You probably mean E3LD. Q2/2021 produced long range have the official extension 614kw WLTP via the larger battery pack. In the COC it states 640km electric range, but Tesla probably started advertising without using the Buffer/reserve below 0%.
The LG battery wont be extended to anything above the advertised 580km for two reasons. The cells are already at their maximum capacity with 4,2V and the LG seems to have reached its end of life for the European market (for now). There are no Q2/2021 LG models coming to European mainland. Only a couple of "leftovers" from Q1/2021.

They also said that it was not a new battery but something else that was changed to save power (but I don't know how much the sales man actually knew)

Dont beleive a word of what he told you there. The SA's simply dont know better.

So, if my car build date is April 6th, will it have the improvements?

Certainly yes!

Well, why would you expect more than 4%?
  • The individual cells have had a bump of capacity by 4.1% (4.8Ah vs 5.0Ah)
  • The total amount of cells remained the same (n=4416)
  • 77.8 x 1.041% is exactly 81kWh!
View attachment 653784
View attachment 653783

I was looking after another thing when I found this table.
The cell capacity is not correctly calculated. The voltage will not hold 4.2V during a complete discharge but will drop during the discharge.
The average voltage should be the ”nominal cell voltage”, which shoudl be 3.7V on these cells. If doing a calculation about the energy content in Wh you should use the nominal voltage times the Ah-rating or tested A—value. I think there is some tests on the net showing the old 2170 model 3 cell, marked Wh is 18,5 and marked marked size is 5000mah, but the tests shows real content to be 4800mah or slightly above Which seems to be consistent witht the official Tesla dokuments about the cells.

Marked capacity 18.5Wh for the old 2170 should be a little optimistic. If we use the factor 4.8/5 times 18.5Wh we get 17.76Wh.
4416 x 17.76 = 78.4kWh.
For the new 2170L-cell, if we use 5000mah as the actual capacity we get 3.7x5x4416 = 81,7kWh. To reach the 82.1-mark we need the capacity to be 0,5% larger, 5025mah.

The M3 battery capacity is not as large as it seems by your table. We can see the voltage with low SOCs with SMT and compare it with a discharge curve that the state of charge really is low.
E13761C8-1997-416A-AFB2-3E4101204184.jpeg

1.6% displayed SOC should be about 6% ”real SOC” according to the common knowledge of 4.5% buffer below 0% dispalyed SOC.

15kW battery power should be quite close to 0.2-0.25C and also close to 1A current. 278V equals 2.9V/cell.

Down is a discharge curve of a tesla 2170 cell. The current draw is 1A, so the Voltage droop should be similar.
If we look at the 2.9V position we see that it is about the knee where the voltage starts to droop quite fast and there is not much energy left.
We can calculate the approximate resting capacity below 2.9V by multiplying the average voltage times the Amp hours. The average voltage could be somewhere in the ball park of 2,85V, and the Amps is 1A, time about 15minutes(= 0.25 hrs). The resting Wh is about 0.71 Ah, or 0.71/17.75 % of the Watt hours, 4%.
As this calculatiuon is not done by exact numbers. The SOC vs voltage is grabbed from a youtube video and might change slightly if another fram was chosen. Its not ”perfect” but I think we clearly can see the similarity between my 4% calculation and the 6% ”real SOC” on the picture above. When the car has shown 0% and is driven until it stops there is virtually no energy left In the cells.

The(my) conclusion is that the marked capacity by Tesla, Full size when new, is the whole capacity without any hidden capacity.

93F6AB9C-7E8C-4041-B667-1E33C507C2E7.jpeg

The SMT picture is grabbed from this video by Teslabjörn:
The discharge curve is grabbed from this video:

Last edited:
Reactions: eivissa