Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it matter if you are getting the range you were promised?

the range promised uses the EPA cycle so if you lose 2% capacity you also lose 2% range. So no, you dont get the range you were promised.

Thats why advertisements need to be held accountable and range can only be advertised with average degradation expected after 3-4 years with very generous battery warranties. (i.e. 150-200k km >80% retention.

Do you have a Lorg Range with my same battery?
Mine is a M3P with 2170L (82.1 kWh).
Mine is a M3 LR , Q2 2021 - E3LD - so, with the Panasonic 82.1 Kwh pack ... but I guess not one from the top shelf :)

Speaking of range, my real world usage on Swedish roads and highways (which are limited to 110-120 Km/h, meaning ~168-170 wh/Km - my average for the past 13000 Km) is giving me ~400-420 Km ideal range (100-0%). Actually I'm going between ~10-90% during long trips, so more realistically the real range is 300-350Km max distance (faaaaaar away from the 614 Km WLTP marketing number).

Last edited:
Reactions: theothertom
A few weeks ago, I bought my first Tesla — a Model 3 Standard Range Plus with LFP battery.

I know there is a ton of info about the other battery, but are there currently any recommendations on maintenance for an LFP battery? Specifically, how often to charge, whether to charge to 100%, not letting it get below a certain percentage, whether Supercharging usage degrades the battery, etc.

I'm asking because even though I just bought the car, I'm only getting about a 211 mile range (down from the 253 EPA range I was expecting) and I wanted to maximize the battery.
Charge to 100% whenever possible. But, at least once a week. You maybe driving above 60mph, or having fun accelerating often. Check your energy graph. You must be using way more than 200wh/mile. I have mixed driving habits - lower speeds on back roads, and higher speeds on highways. My efficiency is 126-145% on back roads, and 75-84% on highways. I use the Tessie app to monitor. You can also use your energy screen in the car to monitor your last 5, 15 or 30 miles driven.

Reactions: Dimuthu
I quote myself.
TodayI had another 1 kWh FULL drop in NFP
This morning is 77,0 kWh. 😭
SO in 3 days i lost 1,7 kWh. Sincerely Im a bit worried and disappointed .
It seems just the opposite of @AAKEE .... day by day is more cold but my battery goes down .
another DROP, an additional 0,5 kWh drop in NFP so in 5 days passed from 78,7 to 76,5 .
-2,2 kWh.
Buffer is now 3,4 kWh

I add only that it seems (like I already said) that every time i let it sleep near 20% SOC it removes kWh.

Last edited:
For the UK market (currently showing est delivery November for M3LR), is it reasonable to assume that the 380 mile LR will be in the batch after that set of deliveries? If so, is that subsequent batch likely to be for December delivery or Q1? If Q1, are we thinking early or late Q1?

I just bought new M3P UK . It's from inventory .
VIN LRW3F7EC9MCxxxxxx
LRW mean China right ?
I've no idea the rest mean, Do I've new battery or any new hardware ?
The display show range only 505 km
All 2021 M3P has the bigger Panasonic battery.
82.1kWh ”when new” size made by the new 2170L cell presented on the battery day one year ago.

505km, is this at full charge or is it in the mobile phone app? There might be some cycles needed to ”wake” the battery and learn the BMS about the actual size.
The mobile app doesnt show the same range all times as the car would if charged to 100%.

Full charge on a new battery without degradation shows about 508km(509 can be seen also).
505km tell us the BMS thinks the battery capacity is around 80.0kWh at the moment.

I see about 502-503 km since the last firmware upgrade. My car did the same as others, lost a little range after the newest F/W was installed. I had around 504-509 km before.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonoboon
This is the official Model 3 VIN decoder:
1633627108381.png

This car has the Panasonic 3L 82kWh NCA battery pack since Oct. 2020 and will show you a range of 508km max. 505km is just fine.

All 2021 M3P has the bigger Panasonic battery.
82.1kWh ”when new” size made by the new 2170L cell presented on the battery day one year ago.

505km, is this at full charge or is it in the mobile phone app? There might be some cycles needed to ”wake” the battery and learn the BMS about the actual size.
The mobile app doesnt show the same range all times as the car would if charged to 100%.

Full charge on a new battery without degradation shows about 508km(509 can be seen also).
505km tell us the BMS thinks the battery capacity is around 80.0kWh at the moment.

I see about 502-503 km since the last firmware upgrade. My car did the same as others, lost a little range after the newest F/W was installed. I had around 504-509 km before.
Thank you , Is it possible that the range go to 567km as show on website ?

This is the official Model 3 VIN decoder:
View attachment 718837

This car has the Panasonic 3L 82kWh NCA battery pack since Oct. 2020 and will show you a range of 508km max. 505km is just fine.
Have any vehicles shipped with the hairpin windings yet?
Thank you , Is it possible that the range go to 567km as show on website ?
No, not for the Performance. The range of that vehicle will max out at 508km or so.

But it's ok. 508km on the Performance is actually more energy than 567km on the LR in most cases (typically 80-81kWh for Performance vs. 79-80kWh for the LR - though our data is limited and it may actually be just exactly the same - the FPWN is 82.1kWh in both cases). And if you equip it with efficient wheels it will have the same or similar range to the LR all else being equal.

Remember, rated km (rkm) are units of ENERGY, not distance. And the units are different on each vehicle trim type (an rkm on one vehicle type is not the same energy content as on another vehicle type).

Last edited:
Remember, rated km (rkm) are units of ENERGY, not distance. And the units are different on each vehicle trim type (an rkm on one vehicle type is not the same energy content as on another vehicle type).
This is such a good point/observation. I think it would be useful if they just showed you NFP and people wouldn't worry.

I think it would be useful if they just showed you NFP and people wouldn't worry.
Yes, it would be nice, but then their simple method of concealing the (small) variable initial pack capacity would no longer work. And everyone would be squabbling over 1-2kWh discrepancies in initial capacity (which really don't matter much, but people would care about the 2-3% variability). So here we are.

The WLTP Range is 567k

Ah, so that is why he didn’t say 568km (which I assume is the EPA advertised LR range…). Was confused about the number being quoted. WLTP for Performance happens to be very close to EPA for the LR.

Reactions: AAKEE
Have any vehicles shipped with the hairpin windings yet?
Yes, they have started the transition in Q3/2021.
  • All Model 3 LR and Model Y LR came with the 3D7 Hairpin Rear Base Motor.
  • Model 3 SR LFP and Model 3 Performance were going back and forth between the old 3D1 fractional slot and the new 3D6 hairpin performance motor.

Tesla is lying about the putting 82kwh battery in the M3LR21 -they said its false advertising-they only out in 74kwh or less in M3LR21 - plus they use recycled parts-chips ect. -that’s probably reason bee cars w/old software -2021.11 arent updatable - Im returning my car Tesla has the worst customer support & they lie
What matters is the epa range not capacity.... Unfortunately having a bigger battery which is software locked protects you from degradation and increases chargespeed. So that is frustrating

Reactions: Paige111