Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you try to charge directly up to 90% SoC (or more) just after wakeup (from around 20% SoC) ?
I never tried. I'd have NOT way to charge it in the morning in AC.
I can charge the car in the night only at home in AC, I'd need all the day to charge it to 90% (and the car I need it to go work).
I could at the SUC because it's at only 8 km away from me and it's on the way to work, but it's a 250 kW DC charge.

So you confirm that the last firmWare removed some km range?. Are you speaking of 2021.36 or 2021.32?
It's a NFP drop, or a change constant?

On the picture there’s a 100% charge(well is just got to 99% actually before my wife took the car), and a couple of days later, after the fourth charge i got down to 6% SOC, the range/NFP did the normal climb back to 506-507km/ 80.4 NFP.
Normally it would stay there and then climb to 81 or so, but after the 32.21 it dived to about 502-504 km and NFP 79.9kWh
Seems stable att that level now.
791AD58E-E327-4E05-8E15-62E098A30E01.jpeg

What matters is the epa range not capacity.... Unfortunately having a bigger battery which is software locked protects you from degradation and increases chargespeed. So that is frustrating
Yes -I emphasized 82kwh battery x100, was assured a 82kwh battery -now Im stuck w/wrong car -wrong battery, Tesla has the absolute worst customer service, the service tech manager ramble on about he has a 82kwh battery in his Y - even said some SRs have -so how did they not put it in 3LR21 - they are reserving tge 82kwh batteries for their cars & swindling the 3LR customers. The service tech does nothing @all -they say they cant tell me my battery size - but 2 service tech by phone told me it was a 65 kwh , then a 74kwh -the SA assuree I gad a 82kwh - they are all so inconsistent- I will have to check the battery sticker under car -If they dont put a 82kwh battery in my car - Ill have to return iit -

Yes - I calculated the (avg wh/mi x proj mi range)/% battery charge -74kw - but I was told, assured I’d get the 82kw. I ordered a M3LR 21 w/82kw battery & now Im told its only 74kw -I was given a 2020 battery, thats not what I ordered.
Can you provide a picture of this, and also provide a picture of the build date of your car, on the driver's side B-pillar? And as others have mentioned, it is "kWh" not "kw."

I'm curious when your car was built. Not aware of any US-built Model 3 2021s from the second half of the year that did not have the 82.1kWh battery (but it's possible they do exist - the EPA result for 2021 only requires a 77.8kWh battery for the LR AWD).

What range does your vehicle show, when charged to 100%? I'd expect 336 miles at 100% if your battery is actually at 74kWh including the buffer. If you're not including the buffer in your 74kWh value, then I'd expect you'd see 351 or 352 miles, which would be pretty normal (though perhaps 1-2.5kWh low).

- I will have to check the battery sticker under car -If they dont put a 82kwh battery in my car - Ill have to return iit -
Yes, you should do that before you get bent out of shape about what you have. Maybe there's a misunderstanding about what your vehicle actually has.

Last edited:
Reactions: AAKEE and FredMt
To help, here is one way to do it. MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc
As i know, the current identified part number for the "82kWh" Panasonic 2170L pack is CB 1104423-00-T .
And/or find a guy(or girl) with Scan my tesla, there all is shown in numbers.

74kWh seems to be very little for a 82 kWh pack, on the other hand we had the guy missing some 25% of his capacity initially, which got sortened out later.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Charges super slow even at fast 150 kw V2 Tesla super chargers at 32kw, 2.5x slower than other US M3 and on 50 kw DC faster charges 12kw 4 times slower than US made M3
2) Can not charge 100% , first stopped at 85% , now at 94%. Battery levels show surge later but never exceed 94%
3) Range is low, but given the above issues , it is difficult to say what is the real range and in a cold start 5C , the energy meter hill goes beyond the 600 kw top limit..
Hello M3LFPEUBuyer, did these issues get resolved?

Are all 2021 Model 3s supposed to have the 82 kWh pack? Just had a mobile technician come by and confirm that we have a 74 kWh pack in our LR21 (build date in July) we order the car in August and received it a month later. Wondering if we're in the same boat as Paige111.

Are all 2021 Model 3s supposed to have the 82 kWh pack? Just had a mobile technician come by and confirm that we have a 74 kWh pack in our LR21 (build date in July) we order the car in August and received it a month later. Wondering if we're in the same boat as Paige111.

No. Early 2021 LRs do not have the 82kWh pack. It's easy enough to determine though. I would not base your understanding of which pack you have on what Tesla personnel tell you. (Especially since there is no 74kWh pack. There's a pack with 74.3kWh of "usable" energy but that's a 77.8kWh pack.)

Generally speaking I'd expect you have the 82.1kWh pack based on your delivery date. However the exact situation is unclear.

I'd look at your build date, take a picture of your battery label as indicated above, and take a picture of your energy screen as described in the sticky in this forum (the least helpful in this case because it will just say you have 77.8kWh even if you have the 82.1kWh pack).

Last edited:
Reactions: FredMt and AAKEE
interesting ( to me at least data point)

Just went on a road trip (Arizona to California) terrible efficiency, 275 wh/mi for 1000 mile trip. (55-90f weather, highways etc). I noted before I left scan my Tesla said my NFP was 78.1 kw. Supercharged only there and back

Today I charged to 100% (was actually still charging but current had dropped to 10a @ 240v). NFP on scan my Tesla reading 78.5 when I unplugged it
Screenshot_20211016-131840.png

My daily commute is 34 miles with an avg highway speed of 70 (30 miles on the highway) and I get around 235.
Yes, so if you were traveling with less traffic at 75-80mph that’s basically exactly what you would expect.

About 135Wh/mi is aero losses at 70mph which scale as (v2/v1)^2, and the remaining is mostly fixed losses which would not scale.

Reactions: BnGrm and Jejunjm