Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: 3 Delivery experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m just hoping that the EV experience is going to overwhelm with regards to the obvious downgrade on creature comforts.

If you're like me, a long time car enthusiast, whose had a wide range of vehicles, various brands - imports and domestics - coupes, convertibles, sedans, SUVs, all sorts of performance rides, some stock, some modified to different extremes, I've done tracking/HDPEs, top speed runs (sanctioned events), well ...

Yes.

It's a stunningly different experience in all the best possible ways. The car is plenty terrific looking, comfy, tech loaded (and then some), and while it might be a little deficient with a few things like cooled seats, everything else so differently better, it's kind of hard to describe. It's not just the obvious metrics like performance - it's the whole concept, including things like no more gas stations and always being "fueled", how seamlessly it just works, no starts / no stops, no need for brakes - it just reboots your whole head. :D

@SFMac

To be honest, I wasn't sure about the rear area (I knew the driver floor had one, 90% sure the passenger did), so I just checked, and yep, I got a full set of carpeted mats (both front, both rear).

Did they just forget yours, or is it only for certain models[?]

The HomeLink is kind of funny, considering all the other tech in the car, but just took an existing opener, stuck it to the inside of the driver's door pocket, and it's basically the same thing for me.

I feel like I won the Tesla lottery, mats, pretty much no build issues, ordered and had the car in 9 days, heck, I never even talked to a live person, I did everything through the website (based on automated message/email notifications).

Picked my White LR3 up yesterday. Surprisingly, only a couple of very minor things. Going to be a jackass and do a service request for them, might as well all of the QC rest of the customer. Make them earn some money.

Ordered May 25th. Estimates tightened up to June 11-30. Then got a VIN fairly quickly and the date went 28-30th...then the appt setup for that range. So, 28th at 3pm it was!!! And it happened!

With that said, only a handful of annoyances. All issues mostly related to the people working there and the "Tesla way". They really need to work on their customer service, QC and delivery practices. I got 3 phone calls (actually 5 total), 2 from 1 person 1 from another, the day before, asking questions from delivery people. Same guy calls twice, 2hrs apart with the exact same questions we already went over?!?! After each first call, literally 1 minute later he would call back with a few more questions (oh BTW forgot to ask....) WTF? Tampa Tesla is moving cars for sure volume wise. My wife/kids while I was on speaker phone every time they called were eye rolling/shrugging like what is going on?!?! I just said, "you see what I mean about Tesla???"

There were like 15 cars on the lot being picked up when I came in, a bunch all over the place being prepped in the coming day. Trucks pulling out just dropping off cars on the transporter. There were about 10 people inside an office in the main building, no idea what they are all doing, but getting somebody in the delivery section/office, was a joke. Nobody was at the front delivery desk. And the temperature was like 82F in the building??? Really, this is FL, 95F heat and 80% humidity, sun is blazing, and you walk into a hot building Tesla?!?! This is insanity and unheard of in Florida in Summer. It isn't 1930 guys. Had to walk up outside the window of the other building where the 10 people were sitting at desks and they all look over at me and I give them all a hands out and shoulder shrug like ANYBODY?!?! You want my cashier's check? Can I look the car over like a normal reasonable human being?!?! Finally somebody begrudgingly gets up and comes out and is like hey what do you need?!?! WTF!!! Call me a jerk, but this stuff annoys the crap out of me. In my line of work, this is never acceptable, it is all about serving the customer and our user base.

First guy opens the door for me and doesn't leave the key cards. Didn't want me testing driving it, which they wouldn't let me do. No test drive for you!!!

The downside is they really expect you to do everything online and they don't want to be bothered with anything. That would be all great if the QC didn't suck so bad, but getting a person to simply take my cashier's check, and open the car up so I could inspect it seemed way more difficult than it should be considering these things are not cheap Toyota Corollas. Which they have better QC and build quality sadly.

They all seemed annoyed by anybody wanting help and there were about 6 other people pickup up cars, doing inspections in the blazing FL sun/heat/humidity etc..in the parking pickup/delivery section. Then nearly all of us about the same time were standing in the hot delivery office looking at each other, talking about QC of vehicles and where is everybody?!?! Hello!!! Tesla...is this microphone on!!! People were annoyed obviously after having to QC a car for nearly 1hr in the heat, then stand around in a hot office trying to get a human being to gives us our key cards or answer/deal with some minor issues.

Bright side, only a few minor issues on my car!!! Yay!! End of month push didn't affect the QC. But the few issues I had, they did the open a service request in the next 48hrs or so to deal with it routine....otherwise...BYEeeee!!!! Huh? OK...whatever. Kind of unreal considering I had just bought my wife a new BMW X3 that cost the same, literally 2 blocks away from the BMW dealer from Tesla, the experience was night/day, and they jumped, did everything to help you out, and car was perfect, didn't even think there would be an issue with this BMW from Spartansburg, SC by US workers...this excuse that Tesla is so new (13yrs now), is over. They need a customer service/delivery and QC overhaul and tweak to align more with expectations of customers to gain more acceptance. My wife wouldn't deal with this idiotic setup for 1 second had she been the buyer, would have walked away someplace else. Tesla is never going to win over the majority of people with how they go about things...Elon doesn't give a rat's ass of course.

Anyway, by the luck of the Tesla car QC Gods...mine was near perfection, it is driving great, and I'm loving it!!! So, worth the hassle, but the hassle shouldn't exist to begin with. That is the point of my rant.

Now onto tint, suspension/wheels...ceramic coating. Oh, and might as well get a 14-50 installed at my house, neighbor is an electrician, that will be cheap and done right...haha.

Good luck.
Thanks for the detailed writeup. Just curious what the actual minor issues were?

Reactions: TesslAshanti
Got my Model3 LR. Order June17- Delivery date July14. At Delivery date we have 2 hours for checking vehicle. Quality and condition of the car was PERFECT. No any gaps, misalignments, scratches, etc. We tried hard to get something- checking outside, inside, wheels all what we can and was VERY PICKY. Nothing- absolutely PERFECT condition and quality. Thanks Tesla.👍
Tesla 1.jpg

Got my Model3 LR. Order June17- Delivery date July14. At Delivery date we have 2 hours for checking vehicle. Quality and condition of the car was PERFECT. No any gaps, misalignments, scratches, etc. We tried hard to get something- checking outside, inside, wheels all what we can and was VERY PICKY. Nothing- absolutely PERFECT condition and quality. Thanks Tesla.👍View attachment 686112

Yeahhhh that's great to hear Tesla is turning out some high-quality builds now haha. Enjoy the ride!

Reactions: jrmt23 and sunfarm
Got my Model3 LR. Order June17- Delivery date July14. At Delivery date we have 2 hours for checking vehicle. Quality and condition of the car was PERFECT. No any gaps, misalignments, scratches, etc. We tried hard to get something- checking outside, inside, wheels all what we can and was VERY PICKY. Nothing- absolutely PERFECT condition and quality. Thanks Tesla.👍View attachment 686112
CONGRATS! So excited for you, I don't see too many blue M3s but its gorgeous

Reactions: sunfarm
...I had just bought my wife a new BMW X3 that cost the same, literally 2 blocks away from the BMW dealer from Tesla, the experience was night/day, and they jumped, did everything to help you out, and car was perfect, didn't even think there would be an issue with this BMW from Spartansburg, SC by US workers...
I'm sorry I'm confused. Are you implying that your Tesla wasn't made by US workers? Or maybe California doesn't count? Sorry if I misunderstood you.

• Funny
Reactions: DocHolliday
If somebody asked me 2 years ago, if I'd own an electric car, I would have mocked you probably and just laughed. But after driving a Model 3 Performance in 2020 just before Covid, I knew I had to get one. But, yesterday I finally made the change. I did it NOT to save the environment, I did it because it's simply a better daily driver to me than nearly any other vehicle in its price range.

I sold my 2018 Fiesta ST for a 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor. What better to accompany and compliment my 900+whp 03 Cobra, being completely polar opposites."

Wall charger installed and charging at 11kW. Everything is as expected!

Ordered 5/18, Delivered 6/23

View attachment 677472

View attachment 677473

View attachment 677474

Shot a youtube video of the dat as well for those curious

Picked up my White Long range Model 3 on 8/16- ordered on 6/19. The car was in perfect condition. It was so weird that this whole car buying experience I really haven't spoken to anyone face to face. I ordered online without test driving. Someone from Tesla called me twice. Once to congratulate me and see if I had any questions when I first ordered and the second was to tell me that my delivery date was near and that he would send me an email. I drove to pick up my car with my son, who had already picked up his Tesla a month or so before. I opened my app when we arrived and I clicked accept delivery. We started walking the parking lot and one of the workers that were unloading cars asked if we had received the text to "pick up" and we told him yes and that we already had the app updating and he said great and drove off. LOL We pushed the trunk open button to figure out which car was mine. We checked out the car and drove off. LOL I don't like talking to people anyway so it was great for me but I expected that there would be a little more interaction! I'm not complaining though. I love this car!

Picked up my M3 SR on 7/26 in Eatonville, Fl and was out the door start to finish in 40 minutes (and 30 minutes of that was for my inspection). Could not find ONE thing to complain about! Fit, finish, paint, gaps, etc were all PERFECT! I commented to the delivery rep that I was pleasantly surprised of the quality because of all the past comments of problems at delivery I had seen.... he said they have started to minutely inspect the cars with numerous QC people at the end of the production line to flag problems before they get loaded for transport. Don't know if that is true, but mine was perfect. LOVE THIS CAR!

Reactions: voxel and RISC601
I recently picked up a white m3sr+, I had to leave in a rush since they took a little longer than expected so I had to return to the Tesla store later that afternoon.
I noticed that my left rear window trim had a small misalignment but the rest was very well aligned so I rather not request repair on that window trim.
I also had red specks on the paint all over the car that seem to be removable by buffing the car, they will do so, I also had a loose driver seat cushion that will get fixed (hopefully).
Nothing major but all these issues should have been checked prior to delivery, I understand that they are backed up but at the end of the day we are paying full price and should receive our cars after been properly checked by them, not the customers.

I recently picked up a white m3sr+, I had to leave in a rush since they took a little longer than expected so I had to return to the Tesla store later that afternoon.
I noticed that my left rear window trim had a small misalignment but the rest was very well aligned so I rather not request repair on that window trim.
I also had red specks on the paint all over the car that seem to be removable by buffing the car, they will do so, I also had a loose driver seat cushion that will get fixed (hopefully).
Nothing major but all these issues should have been checked prior to delivery, I understand that they are backed up but at the end of the day we are paying full price and should receive our cars after been properly checked by them, not the customers.
0 chance I'd let Tesla attempt any sort of paint correction on my car

Shout out to Jenny at the Colma, CA location. Great SA, responsive and patient. Handled my various “you sure you don’t know when I get a VIN?” emails well. Followed-up after delivery to see how everything was going.

Had an interesting experience at pickup. Showed up right at my scheduled time. Could not find any Tesla employees anywhere. There were a bunch of us waiting. Finally found someone who called someone to come get me.

Guy asked me to sit down and send the payment (I was using plaid to pay online). I asked if I could look at the car first before I paid and he had this weird look and said "ah, okay. If you really want to". I asked if it was weird to look at something first before paying $45,000 and he said "yes, it is is bit unusual here". He then told me they allocate 15-20 minutes per pickup to which I told him I would take as long as needed to look at the car.

After that things went fine and I love the car and the guy turned out to be nice, just a little off. I just cant help but thinking how bizarre it is that everyone at Tesla thinks you should be grateful for the privledge of buying their product. This attitude towards customers needs to change ASAP or they will eventually get run over by competition.

So to add in my recent delivery experience. Got the day before text/email detailing pickup location and time. Day of delivery I got a text stating it would be delayed an hour or so because they were busy, etc. When the 'ready' text came, my wife and I drove to the pickup location which was a large parking lot behind a church maybe half a mile or so from the service center. Several rows of new Teslas in various states of preparation and exactly zero Tesla employees....lol. A couple other folks getting their car and that's it. Thankfully I ordered red/white or I might still be reviewing VIN's to figure out which one was mine. Small printed sheet saying 'Congratulations and welcome to the family' on my center console and rest of paperwork on front seat.
Lack of employees gave us plenty of time to look over the car from the outside. It looked great so went ahead and accepted delivery. Got in, did final check over, set up driver profile and drove off. Maybe 30 minutes total.

Surreal but strangely satisfying experience and diametrically opposite from my last two BMW deliveries.

M3P red/white/no FSD....order 8/16, VIN ~8/29, delivery 9/14.