Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I probably Solved.
Strange but I made a deep RESET and all returned good on pedal sensitivity.
Car changed like CHILL to STANDARD in feeling on pedal.
This is very strange...
BTW WOT at first attempt is good considering 55-60% SoC
upload_2020-11-28_22-4-35.png

I think something is wrong with your butt dyno. My part throttle acceleration with the accel boost feels like the car dropped a few hundred pounds. The torque feels a lot more meaty and it’s even more effortless to get going.

[QUOTE="conv90, post: 5161363, member: 98690.
I'm the only one experiencing this situation?

I haven't experienced any drop in throttle response. It's the opposite.[/QUOTE]

I probably Solved.
Strange but I made a deep RESET and all returned good on pedal sensitivity.
Car changed like CHILL to STANDARD in feeling on pedal.
This is very strange...
BTW WOT at first attempt is good considering 55-60% SoC
View attachment 612626

I haven't experienced any drop in throttle response. It's the opposite.
[/QUOTE]

Very nice result considering the SOC indeed! Congrats!

Reactions: TyH2009
This is easy. Tesla will just make this upgrade non-transferable, hence there's nothing to list when you upgrade ;)

Can anyone tell me [definitively] if the acceleration boost upgrade transfers with the car when sold? Please reference any literature if possible. This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing it. Thank you.

(I've searched through other threads and the 125 pages of this thread for some keywords and not found an answer)

Can anyone tell me [definitively] if the acceleration boost upgrade transfers with the car when sold? Please reference any literature if possible. This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing it. Thank you.

(I've searched through other threads and the 125 pages of this thread for some keywords and not found an answer)
Just like all the others like FSD or EAP If you trade it to Tesla it will be removed, if not it stays.

If you sell it to a private party, the features like FSD and Boost stay with the car. If you trade it in, Tesla gives you some credit for it during trade in but when they sell it to another customer, they will remove the feature as to charge the new customer for it.

Acceleration Boost stays with the car when you sell it. If you sell it back to Tesla they can do what ever they want. However, Tesla does sell used cars on their site that have Acceleration Boost. My guess is if Tesla took a trade in with AB and paid accordingly, then they would try to recover their cost by selling the car with AB and price it as such.

Here is a screen shot of a car on their site today.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 10.46.14 PM.jpg

I understand your doubt. It makes a guy who thought he was pretty up on Tesla appear a little slow. Here’s what I can state truthfully. I paid for a LR AWD EAP Model 3. Couldn’t afford the Performance model. Picked up car on perhaps busiest Model 3 delivery day in history, September 29, 2018. It was a total madhouse. My paperwork took very little time. It was dark when I received vehicle and quickly went over interior with CS. Drove off that night, loving my car. I think at some point I noticed Track Mode in driving screen, but it looked greyed out. I remember remarking that it was a “tease” by Tesla because it was “there” but wasn’t functional (didn’t know at the time depressing the brake turned it on). Other than badge visit (which I documented) and tire rotation in 8/19, I haven’t had reason to bring car in. Yes, the car is ridiculously fast, but unless I drove a P and non-P back to back, how would I know difference? If anything, my story illustrates how important the TMC forums are to Tesla owners. I spent hours on the phone with multiple Tesla CS reps during December and January. You would think one of those guys would be able to see the P in my car description. I question whether most CS reps even know what a stealth is. I’ve gone over all my paperwork from sale (I hold onto sales records for a while) and there is ZERO indication that I have a P. I consider myself to be one of the luckiest guys on Earth. I like to say now that Elon got my personal note noting my 50th birthday in 8/18 and silently bumped me up. The reality is I probably just got lucky. Tesla needed to fill orders, they had some 3s programmed with P specs but had more non-P orders to fill and randomly gifted some Steaths (or they just screwed up). If you knew how many hours I wasted on phone with Tesla CS trying to solve Acceleration Boost in December and January, you would know I’m being sincere. I am eternally grateful to Tesla for my secret upgrade and eternally grateful to this site for the knowledge base. If that doesn’t float your boat, keep hating.......

Well, its happened to me as well, this is exactly the same situation I went thru!! I've been searching online many different tesla forums to see if this happened to anyone else and glad I came across this thread.

Back in November 2018, I intended to order a regular Long Range AWD. I didn't even know about the stealths back then. As far as I could remember, I also always saw the red underline in the mobile app and also from the T logo about screen while in the car. In 2019, I can't remember when was it that Track Mode became available, I would see it as available in the Driving section but had thought it was just there for everyone, and only Performance owners had access to it, because it was always grayed out. I think one time I did turn it on while in the garage but had thought it was a mistake from the software updates or a bug that allowed non-performance owners access to try it out or something, I still didn't think much about it at that time. I had to google how to turn on track mode and it actually turned on everytime now, so it made me really wonder if I really had a stealth P3D-. Then just until a month ago, I was reading more about what the red underline meant and started searching online for answers. A regular dual motor badge was already installed on my car when I picked it up. Last week, I had some recalls completed at the Tesla service center. I told them my dual motor badge was missing the red underline. They checked and confirmed I indeed had a stealth and installed the dual motor performance badge for me without any charges. Also, this past may, I picked up my Zero-G referral wheels. And they gave me the set that has ET34, which is intended for performance models, instead of ET40 which is supposed to be for all other model 3 owners. I am wondering now if the reason I was given the ET34 wheels is because they saw I had a stealth version, or it could've been a mistake. I also needed my wipers replaced but they would not install them for me for free and would charge me install fee, kinda funny they install the performance badge but can't just install the wipers. They had it in stock so i installed them myself, pretty simple. I was a bit worried to ask but decided to take the chance. I didn't think they would take away the performance capability away from me since I've had the car for over 2 yrs now. My purchase agreement also doesn't say anything about it being a performance. But then I checked my online account and the details section does say Long range all wheel drive performance which totally shocked me because I didn't recall seeing this before. Its been a pretty awesome feeling verifying that I've got a stealth model 3. I always felt it was a fast car, but then again I didn't think much of it and thought it was just the way it was for a LR AWD. I've never been in any other non AWD model 3 so couldn't compare it to my own.

Acceleration Toggle button:

For all the people suggesting to go lighter on throttle to increase range vs having a toggle for Acceleration Boost.

The acceleration boost option changed range on model 3 LRAWD from 353 to 310 miles.

Torque is cranked up with acceleration boost, no light foot is going to get you 353....You can’t even charge to that range anymore.

Sometimes, I would like the extra 43 miles.

Acceleration Toggle button:

For all the people suggesting to go lighter on throttle to increase range vs having a toggle for Acceleration Boost.

The acceleration boost option changed range on model 3 LRAWD from 353 to 310 miles.

Torque is cranked up with acceleration boost, no light foot is going to get you 353....You can’t even charge to that range anymore.

Sometimes, I would like the extra 43 miles.

Estimated range on your display does not necessarily mean the range is reduced. Displayed range is consistently off from EPA and the reason some people go with percentage displayed. I’m not saying I know if it has an impact but I am definitely leaning towards the “it only makes a decision deference if you put your foot to the ground every time.” You get a reduced range in standard too if you are constantly accelerating. Could be wrong though. Wish Tesla would comment on the impact to range.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Estimated range on your display does not necessarily mean the range is reduced. Displayed range is consistently off from EPA and the reason some people go with percentage displayed. I’m not saying I know if it has an impact but I am definitely leaning towards the “it only makes a decision deference if you put your foot to the ground every time.” You get a reduced range in standard too if you are constantly accelerating. Could be wrong though. Wish Tesla would comment on the impact to range.

I do not drive that way, and I do not get the original 353 miles of range the car had since adding acceleration boost.

It’s a very simple change to software. Add a toggle to Reduce Torque to original settings to gain original miles from battery.

Put it in Chill mode to really reduce the power/torque and that should get you 500 miles.o_O

All that I’ve read, watched and experienced is that Chill Mode does not offer increase in range.

If someone can explain the loss of 43 miles upon the addition of Acceleration boost that a light foot or chill mode can restore I would be happy.

If you cannot, then join me in asking for the toggle switch to restore original range.

...If you cannot, then join me in asking for the toggle switch to restore original range.
...and nether would switching off Acceleration Boost. The actual range of the car will be the same if driven the same. It doesn't just use more power because it CAN use more power. It only uses more power if YOU press the go pedal harder and make it use more.

If you drive 2 AWDs, one the Acceleration Boost and the other without, with same wheels on the same road at the same speeds and acceleration the energy usage will be relatively the same since all physical elements are the same. Acceleration Boost doesn't just waste or need more energy because you bought it.

So any toggle switch to lower the power output will NOT increase the actual range of the car. It may change the displayed EPA range (I don't know and couldn't care less because I use % ) but it has nothing to do with my (or anyone else) actual driving range.

Now if switching to get it to say 110% then I'm all in.:D:D:D

Last edited:
...and nether would switching off Acceleration Boost. The actual range of the car will be the same if driven the same. It doesn't just use more power because it CAN use more power. It only uses more power if YOU press the go pedal harder and make it use more.

If you drive 2 AWDs, one the Acceleration Boost and the other without, with same wheels on the same road at the same speeds and acceleration the energy usage will be relatively the same since all physical elements are the same. Acceleration Boost doesn't just waste or need more energy because you bought it.

So any toggle switch to lower the power output will NOT increase the actual range of the car. It may change the displayed EPA range (I don't know and couldn't care less because I use % ) but it has nothing to do with my (or anyone else) actual driving range.

Now if switching to get it to say 110% then I'm all in.:D:D:D

How do you think it’s gets more power to go faster???? Magic????

Acceleration Boost did not give you a bigger battery,
it utilizes more battery power to give you a faster 0-60
So you get less miles for your total battery capacity

if your argument held water, the listed range from Tesla would not have decreased by 43 miles.

It’s Range was 353mi at 4.3 sec 0-60
It’s Range is now 310mi at 3.9 sec 0-60

do the Math.

When I put my BMW 3 in Eco Mode, which reduces power, I get more miles with the gas I have. Range increases
When I engage sport mode, which increases power, I get less miles with the gas I have.
Range decreases

it’s just common sense.