Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you @MagnusMako and @Snowball316 for the info. My concern is to regret not having bought the P if the acceleration feeling is not similar, or regret not having bought the LR if the difference is not noticeable and having wasted money. I think I'll only get the answer by trying the LR, but the problem is I doubt there is a LR + AB available to test... Anyway, thank you for your answers

Thank you @MagnusMako and @Snowball316 for the info. My concern is to regret not having bought the P if the acceleration feeling is not similar, or regret not having bought the LR if the difference is not noticeable and having wasted money. I think I'll only get the answer by trying the LR, but the problem is I doubt there is a LR + AB available to test... Anyway, thank you for your answer
Bjorns video did it for me on the acceleration tests 90% down to I believe ~10%. The performance only beat the standard long range dual motor above ~50% Soc So getting the AB gets you that much closer I’d have to go back and watch his video to see where the P. crosses over with reported LR AB TIMES.
I don’t think the lr with AB has the suffers the same 0-60’draw backs as the P. But I haven’t seen a video to confirm or deny it. Either way don’t let that p get below 60% or you might get beat by a LR AWD.

Bjorns video did it for me on the acceleration tests 90% down to I believe ~10%. The performance only beat the standard long range dual motor above ~50% Soc So getting the AB gets you that much closer I’d have to go back and watch his video to see where the P. crosses over with reported LR AB TIMES.
I don’t think the lr with AB has the suffers the same 0-60’draw backs as the P. But I haven’t seen a video to confirm or deny it. Either way don’t let that p get below 60% or you might get beat by a LR AWD.

What do you mean by 'drawbacks as the P'? Unless there is a difference in the 2021 cars - the P has always been faster than the LR+AB at all SoC levels' (except maybe below 20 or 30% where it hardly matters). I know this has been tested before and I know I've tested it myself as well.

I think one or two software updates ago there was a patch to 'fix' cold weather performance, and that might have addressed what was found in this video. Can't say for certain because I don't think anyone has done a test like Bjorn since this particular video. Also, most places are starting to warm up so testing these frigid temps aren't as likely.

For myself, I opted out of the P/stealth model because during the item of order the "range" was less and I asked myself if acceleration was that important to myself. I had the opportunity for a stealth configuration, but declined the option as i preorder lrawd and I did not want to push my delivery date further back as ordered in Sept and schedule to pick up in Dec 2020 in fear I lose my rebates.

Keep in mind was I am located bay area and traffic prior to covid-19, so my average mph commute home was 30-40 mph stop and go. I did not see any value (in my usage) for quicker acceleration or track mode. Lucky for Long Range users we have the option to boost our acceleration.
Thank you @MagnusMako and @Snowball316 for the info. My concern is to regret not having bought the P if the acceleration feeling is not similar, or regret not having bought the LR if the difference is not noticeable and having wasted money. I think I'll only get the answer by trying the LR, but the problem is I doubt there is a LR + AB available to test... Anyway, thank you for your answers

Another thing to potentially consider with P3 models is the cost of insurance in the long term. That was the deciding factor for me in going with a LR AWD and then later opting for the AB, rather than an additional $5-6k for P3 model up front. Then, my insurance would have gone up by $50 more each month after.

I've tested today both, the LR first (without AB), and the P later. Although it's very similar, the difference is noticeable. But I can't decide...

Pros of the LR:
- Better range
- Cheaper (and also the maintenance: tires, insurance...)
- Higher ground clearance (less risk of damage)
- Easily damageable 20" wheels...

Cons of the LR:
- P is faster...

I can't decide... and now I've read what @Hybrid_GHOST said, about LR+AB performing better at low SoC levels...

And I've not tested LR+AB, so I don't know how similar is the acceleration feeling between it and P...

I can't decide! Aaaagh! :(

I've tested today both, the LR first (without AB), and the P later. Although it's very similar, the difference is noticeable. But I can't decide...

Pros of the LR:
- Better range

Cons of the LR:
- P is faster...

I can't decide... and now I've read what @Hybrid_GHOST said, about LR+AB performing better at low SoC levels...

And I've not tested LR+AB, so I don't know how similar is the acceleration feeling between it and P...

Same here. Ordered Performance.
Why? Bigger battery on here EU. Much cooler exterior.

Pros of the LR:
- Better range

Cons of the LR:
- P is faster...

"Easily damageable 20" wheels" ...except the LR only comes with 18" or 19" wheels. 20's are on the P.

Clarification:

Pros of the LR:
- Better range
- The 19" are more resistant than the P 20" wheels (a pothole can damage them)
- It seems more comfortable for long trips due to the suspension
- It seems that LR+AB performs similar to P when SoC is below 50%

Cons of the LR:
- P is faster...

Reactions: MagnusMako
Another thing to potentially consider with P3 models is the cost of insurance in the long term. That was the deciding factor for me in going with a LR AWD and then later opting for the AB, rather than an additional $5-6k for P3 model up front. Then, my insurance would have gone up by $50 more each month after.
yes I forgot about this. When I asked for quote a P model insurance was $50 more than LR. So I can confirm

Reactions: P-Lo801
No 353 Lr
315 P .. you could prob get it a lot closer if you got aftermarket 18s on the P.. but add another ~2k For that. The ride on the LR is pretty stiff and we have pretty decent roads in Tennessee. Granted the 20’s do look a lot better wheel gap wise but the 18s aren’t bad

don’t forget if you plan to keep the car for a while to plan for degradation over time/ charge cycles and winter range loss.

Thank you. Finally I'm going for the Long Range + Acceleration Boost because of the reasons exposed above. I can live being 0.6 secs slower from 0-60 :)
Can’t go wrong either way. It’s an amazing car.. you may find yourself not even getting the AB. Car is pretty quick as is.
someone else may have already mentioned this but the P uses rollout time(1ft), The LR doesn’t. Someone’s posted best times gotten some where, and I think the LR no acceleration boost has hit 3.9x with rollout

edit: @MagnusMako hit 3.94 via draggy

Last edited: