Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once you get your LR you may want to wait a couple of weeks before you add Acceleration Boost. That way you will get a good feel for what the difference is since the normal LR is a already a very fast car. Also, you have 48 hours to return/refund the AB if you decide the difference is not worth the cost. However, it seems most who buy AB keep AB.

Never sure with Tesla @danarcha. However, it shows in the Tesla app that it is a refundable purchase for all upgrades, but only once. (bottom of screen shot)

IMG_0782.PNG

yes try the car first without AB, that may be suitable for your application and needs, you can always purchase AB afterwords.
Can’t go wrong either way. It’s an amazing car.. you may find yourself not even getting the AB. Car is pretty quick as is.
someone else may have already mentioned this but the P uses rollout time(1ft), The LR doesn’t. Someone’s posted best times gotten some where, and I think the LR no acceleration boost has hit 3.9x with rollout

edit: @MagnusMako hit 3.94 via draggy

Reactions: pep_dj
I really hope this is real, I will be in for sure as I have a LR AWD.

Tesla is readying a new option, internally called "Acceleration Boost“, costing $2,000 for Model 3.
We don‘t know yet in which form it will see the light of day. Stay tuned!

Tesla Change Tracker on Twitter
This is for real. It is mostly for fun, but it out drags a motorcycle from a stoplight. Need to catch a green to yellow light? No problem. Need to merge with the 90mph traffic on the Interstate and there is a Prius in front of you going 35mph? That is why you bought the Acceleration boost.

I test drove a brand new M3 LR and P last week, as I'm in the process of ordering one and wanted to decide. The P came first, and I was shocked how smooth and non-harsh the ride was. Point into a corner, and go. I thought I had just been up-sold to the P. But then I drove the LR, and I was again shocked how strong the acceleration pulls. At low speeds, and when overtaking on the highway. It pulls very strong. The LR's 18" MSM4 tires scrubbed significantly more when doing moderate acceleration & turn from a stop, but I'd be opting for 19" tires anyway -- prefer them to 20" for cost reasons, and I like the 19" rims much better than the 20" P rims.

At the end of the day, I do like the lowered handling of the P better, but is it worth 9.5k more? Still debating, but leaning strongly toward LR. I'm not a track guy; I just like a high performing and well handling car.

Reactions: Hybrid_GHOST
I
I test drove a brand new M3 LR and P last week, as I'm in the process of ordering one and wanted to decide. The P came first, and I was shocked how smooth and non-harsh the ride was. Point into a corner, and go. I thought I had just been up-sold to the P. But then I drove the LR, and I was again shocked how strong the acceleration pulls. At low speeds, and when overtaking on the highway. It pulls very strong. The LR's 18" MSM4 tires scrubbed significantly more when doing moderate acceleration & turn from a stop, but I'd be opting for 19" tires anyway -- prefer them to 20" for cost reasons, and I like the 19" rims much better than the 20" P rims.

At the end of the day, I do like the lowered handling of the P better, but is it worth 9.5k more? Still debating, but leaning strongly toward LR. I'm not a track guy; I just like a high performing and well handling car.
Your thought process is much like mine - I'd rather the LR w/ boost and mountainpass coilovers. You get slightly less pull from 0-30 digs, but better handling and looks (from a drop perspective) than the P and you have $4k leftover at the end of the day.

Anyone here running 245/40/19 size tires with 19s? I'm curious if you've logged any dragy times to see if the 0-60 was affected by the slightly larger diameter.

I'm also curious about anyone running 265/35/19 or 255/35/19 with 19x9.5 wheels. I'm mulling over a set of new wheels and i'm curious how the 0-60 times are impacted by these varying sizes, since i've read that 18" can shave off .1 seconds just merely being slightly smaller in diameter.

Hi,

Anyone know the minimum level of charge required to get the full potential of the acceleration boost? Eg would i still get the quickest time of 0 to 100 in approx 3.9secs at 40% charge or would i only get it at 100%, 90%, 80% etc?

Thanks in advance, I'm considering the boost, probably would not get it if the boost was only activated at 100%, that would be just one boost per charge, which i doubt is the case but thought to ask.

Reactions: Snowball316
Mountain pass performance tested it here

See also the sticky thread on acceleration boost which likely goes over this too

(moderator note: posts moved into master thread mentioned. Thanks for pointing the OP of the separate thread to the sticky thread on topic)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here running 245/40/19 size tires with 19s? I'm curious if you've logged any dragy times to see if the 0-60 was affected by the slightly larger diameter.

I'm also curious about anyone running 265/35/19 or 255/35/19 with 19x9.5 wheels. I'm mulling over a set of new wheels and i'm curious how the 0-60 times are impacted by these varying sizes, since i've read that 18" can shave off .1 seconds just merely being slightly smaller in diameter.

245/40r19 effectively changes the final drive from 9:1 to 8.9:1. 255/35r19 goes to 9.1:1 and same ratio as stock for 265/35r19. Since that's only a 1% change, it shouldn't be too significant, but lots of marginal gains add up.

Also, tire weights can vary significantly. The Conti DWS06 can be several pounds lighter than the Michelin PS AS 4 and Pirelli P-Zero AS+ in the same size (not to mention the tread width differences between these tires). It was what I planned to run if I had chosen the 19x9.5 with 265/35r19 setup.

Ultimately tho I went with 245/40r19 tires on 19x8.5 for a variety of reasons, but less expensive tires and a lot more all-season tire options was a large part of it (I really like the Pirelli P-Zero AS+ and it doesn't come in 265/35r19). Plus, the main advantage of wider tires is really only seen on the track where you gain much better temperature management.

Overall, I would bet a good decrease of a few lbs per corner, plus a smaller diameter tire could definitely add up to a 0.1s 0-60 difference or maybe even slightly more. For fastest acceleration, a lightweight 18x8.5 with 245/40r18 would probably be perfect. And also one of the cheapest options. But then there would be a 0.6" difference in tire diameter that might not look as good since it doesn't "fill the wheel well".

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier and P-Lo801
Mountain pass performance tested it here

Thanks, very informative. Shame its the long range rwd version and not the lr awd with acceleration boost, but i guess it will be similar?

245/40r19 effectively changes the final drive from 9:1 to 8.9:1. 255/35r19 goes to 9.1:1 and same ratio as stock for 265/35r19. Since that's only a 1% change, it shouldn't be too significant, but lots of marginal gains add up.

Hey, I appreciate the response. Would you mind expanding more on the drive ratio and what these numbers mean as it relates to real world energy usage and performance? For instance, i've been told that 245/40 tires may actually improve range for higher speeds because it takes less energy, but it would affect range at lower speeds. That's why I was wondering how it would affect the 0-60.

And how come 255/35 is the same ratio as 265/35?

Reactions: cmmd11483
Hey, I appreciate the response. Would you mind expanding more on the drive ratio and what these numbers mean as it relates to real world energy usage and performance? For instance, i've been told that 245/40 tires may actually improve range for higher speeds because it takes less energy, but it would affect range at lower speeds. That's why I was wondering how it would affect the 0-60.

And how come 255/35 is the same ratio as 265/35?
I meant that 265/35/19 is same as 235/45/18 (both are 26.3" diameter). Since a taller tire has a slightly lower final drive, that changes the gearing to essentially be slightly more efficient at higher speeds. It's such a small difference though that most people don't worry about it, but it may be significant enough to be detectable with very accurate measurements (ie not completely negligible)

Reactions: P-Lo801
I meant that 265/35/19 is same as 235/45/18 (both are 26.3" diameter). Since a taller tire has a slightly lower final drive, that changes the gearing to essentially be slightly more efficient at higher speeds. It's such a small difference though that most people don't worry about it, but it may be significant enough to be detectable with very accurate measurements (ie not completely negligible)

So theoretically, at what higher speeds would 245/40 size tires be more efficient?