Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand how anyone can say that they don't feel the difference with the acceleration boost. I kept reading that under 30mph there wasn't much power but my butt dyno (and dragy) says differently. It pushes me back in the seat during launch and is noticeable throughout the range. Passing power is silly. Although I've never thought the lr awd to be a slouch, this is a step-up for sure

If you're looking for extra power and have the resources, its a no brainer. As others have mentioned, it doesn't effect regular daily driving at all but when you want to, it can get pretty rude
What I’ve been trying to tell people is my honest opinion is that if your on the fence and your tight on cash it’s not worth it. To me it feels like another 5% free bump. It’s noticeable at 30-60+ mph but nowhere near the exhilaration and gut wrenching feeling you feel off the line 0-20 you get from a performance model. You naysayers and haters can disagree with me all you want but I’m trying to help people decide if it’s worth $2k if they have a budget and priorities like Urban. It’s worth it to me because I have the $2k to burn but I could live without it. My 2 cents.

What I’ve been trying to tell people is my honest opinion is that if your on the fence and your tight on cash it’s not worth it. To me it feels like another 5% free bump. It’s noticeable at 30-60+ mph but nowhere near the exhilaration and gut wrenching feeling you feel off the line 0-20 you get from a performance model. You naysayers and haters can disagree with me all you want but I’m trying to help people decide if it’s worth $2k if they have a budget and priorities like Urban. It’s worth it to me because I have the $2k to burn but I could live without it. My 2 cents.

I can't speak to how you feel- but it objectively measures as much quicker than one of the 5% bumps.

Each of those was 1-2 tenths of a second quicker 0-60. This is a full half second quicker.

I imagine same as any car-side software feature (including lifetime connectivity for those who have it)

It goes with the car in private party sale.

If you sell it back to Tesla they can remove it or not as they wish.

Lots of controversy around Tesla removing software if they buy the car.
I don’t see the issue at all though.

If I buy a car from someone, and decide to remove any physical items or software, then re-sell it, that’s my option since it’s now my car.

Why should that be different for Tesla.
Once you buy a car from anyone, you can do what you want to it, then re-sell it.

Reactions: mrau
Lots of controversy around Tesla removing software if they buy the car.
I don’t see the issue at all though.

If I buy a car from someone, and decide to remove any physical items or software, then re-sell it, that’s my option since it’s now my car.

Why should that be different for Tesla.
Once you buy a car from anyone, you can do what you want to it, then re-sell it.
The problem was Tesla went back after the sale and removed AP. You wouldn't want the former owner changing the 19" Sport wheels for the 18"s after you bought it.

As long as they do it while they have the car and disclose it fine. However there can be a problem if the original window sticker is left in the car since it would list FSD.

The problem was Tesla went back after the sale and removed AP. You wouldn't want the former owner changing the 19" Sport wheels for the 18"s after you bought it.

As long as they do it while they have the car and disclose it fine. However there can be a problem if the original window sticker is left in the car since it would list FSD.

I expect what happened is they flagged the car for removing FSD when they owned it on the back end of their systems...but it didn't push that TO the car immediately because Tesla internal IT is a dumpster fire of systems that don't talk to each other.

The car was sold on a Friday (Nov 15) and FSD car-side was removed on Monday (Nov 18)

That either means it was done on the back end BEFORE the sale, or there's some very organized conspiracy of malice at Tesla.

Any theory that requires high organization from Tesla is clearly wrong.

So first off, I'm not a troll. I have no intention of short selling and its not my intention to stir the pot. I am/was a first time poster (isn't everyone at some point). I found this forum by doing a google search about acceleration boost (because I'm looking for answers). I asked the question because it does seem like a contradiction. Its faster, I confirmed this by counting frames (rather than instantly throwing shade in forums). However my car absolutely has less punch off the line than it did before the boost (punch = slam you back in your seat and push your guts into your throat). Which I find odd again because the car is faster. I've also read through this post and others are saying that the difference is very noticeable. This disappoints me because I was hoping for a noticeable change and it didn't happen, quite the contrary, its less violent on take off. In the end I'm have no intention of asking for a refund (I have a faster car, and I'm well past the 48 hrs). I was just looking to see if anyone else had similar impressions as I did, or an explanation as to why it feels this way (Not hating on the upgrade or Tesla). Perhaps more power to the front motor alters the take off characteristics. BTW thanks for the warm welcome. ;P

So do you have draggy or Vbox results? I certainly don't think you're a troll but it doesn't make sense that the car is accelerating faster but you feel less push in the back. I suppose it's possible there's some adjustment or modulation of launch by the new firmware and that you were closer to the traction limits of the tire on launch and now somehow that's been backed off. But it's inconceivable to me that that's a single case result in other words that would have to be system-wide and that doesn't make sense either.

So this is a real head-scratcher.

Hence my question about Vbox and draggy. Always good to get objective data and they do measure launch Gs or at least I know for a fact that draggy does and plots it so you can actually see it.

Reactions: MagnusMako
After I bought Acceleration Boost and didn't sense much difference and thought it was inconsistent. I bought a Dragy and found that I was getting sub 3.9 constantly. Subjective feelings don't necessarily reflect objective facts.
I noticed wet and/or cold roads/tires cause the traction control system to limit power as well. SoC has some, but not as much effect as traction control kicking in. YMMV.

I finally pulled the trigger after hemming and hawing for a while, and then I carried away testing...

Bottom line: Like most everyone, I can definitely feel a difference. The difference was more pronounced if I consciously tried not to tense up before hitting the pedal. It's a harder pull for sure and definitely feels more exhilarating. No regrets here!

I don't have a Dragy, so I did my testing with the Science Journal app on my Pixel phone which let's you record data from the accelerometers on the phone. The phone was clipped via USB into the charger during testing.

Testing setup:
I started at 90% charge and it was about 40 °F outside. I drove around a bit on local roads before testing, but still had 5 or so dots when starting testing, but by the last couple runs, there were no dots for both pre and post testing. With both pre and post, I started around 87% and ended testing around 81%.

I didn't have a great area to test, so I tested from a full stop at red lights on a local 4 lane road. Often, I was nervous about getting all the way to 60 and let off the pedal some towards the end.

I did my runs pre boost, charged to 90, bought the upgrade and did the runs post. I ended up with 5 runs pre and 11 post.

Results:

PeakAccell.jpg

This is a box and whisker plot of the peak acceleration of my 5 pre, 11 post, and single run from a friend's P3D run.

AvgAccell.jpg

This is the acceleration averaged across the runs. Again, 5 runs pre, 11 post.

RawAccell.jpg

Same data with the raw individual runs. Average for each are the thicker lines.

My takeaway is that AWD+ is closer to P3D than it is the AWD. After the boost, it accelerates with more force, hits the peak force faster, and maintains a lot like the P3D. Caveat here is that all I got was a single run on the P3D. Of note, there was no difference in the runs from 5 dots to 0 and no difference from 87% SoC and 81% Soc, but who knows what role the cold roads, battery warming and losing charge all played.

Hopefully this helps people make a decision. Stealth wasn't an option when I bought and this is the next best thing. Definitely happy with the purchase.

It is NOT an option for the car. It is an add on upgrade after purchase. You probably can get before you drive off but you will need to close on your car and then go into the app and buy the upgrade.
I did this... Bought the upgrade as I drove off the lot. BUT Apparently the software on my (brand new 2020 LR) car does not support the accel boost. So they took my money, but 2 weeks later, I still haven't gotten the software update yet, so I still don't have the accel boost!

The service center basically just told me that I have to wait until the latest software is rolled out to my configuration... But no info was provided as to what m"configuration" means, or when that will be.

How odd. What version are you on? Did you go into the car software settings and click advanced? If you have, go to where your car has a WiFi connection for a while, go back to standard and then back to advanced. For me the instant I clicked purchase my car rebooted for the upgrade. It was wild. Good luck