Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. But, will I be the subjected to many more unexpected dollar costs for performance features during the life of my car. The oil changes savings for an ICE vehicle are now wiped out by connectivity, etc charges. What other unexpected charges are there in the future that cancel the savings from not owning an ICE vehicle?

Err... needing to pay for connectivity isn't "unexpected"

Tesla has been telling S buyers they would eventually need to do that since 2014.

And specifically Model 3 buyers that anybody buying the 3 after June 30, 2018 would have to pay for it too.

Are these new features truly optional, or will their absence block or be an impediment to distant, future standard OTA updates?

I can't think of anything in the universe more optional than a software update to drop your 0-60 half a second.

Ha Ha.
So now that you aren’t getting free stuff that no other manufacturer offers in any way, it’s a bad trend :)
Look up entitled in the dictionary, and let me know what you find. Lol.
This would be a fair statement if Tesla did not market their cars as having a competitive edge due to free over the air upgrades. If I bought a Ford I wouldn’t expect them to send free upgrades but Elon continuously touts how the car will appreciate in value through free upgrades. Next thing will be when they say everybody who paid for FSD has to pay another $5000 to enable robotaxi mode.

Performance and LR AWD they sported Identical model numbers

As I said...

Whether that is due to a software limit or hardware capability difference I have no idea.

As I'm sure you are aware, there is a LOT of debate about the 980s in the AWD in 2018 vs. the 980s in the P3Ds. It could have been a simple "aspirational" difference (which didn't actually happen) at that point in 2018 - and it has now pretty likely become reality. It is very clear, obviously, in any case, that NOW they do have different rear drive units with different kW ratings.

Sorry, a meager ten percent improvement is not worth anywhere near $2K to me!
Objectively it actually is

The Model 3 LR AWD currently costs $48,990 and has a HP rating of 446.7 ( as per wikipedia ) giving a cost per HP of 109.6HP/$. 10% of 446.7 is 44.67 which "should" cost $4895.83 so 10% for $2k is a bargain. HP ain't cheap look at the cost of a full exhaust and intake for an ICE car often over $2k all said and done and that's usually only around a 2-5% increase

This option of $2k for premium acceleration, plus the option of $10 per month for premium connectivity raises a fear of being a captive audience. I was willing to pay for the promise of FSD years before its availability because I believe in Elon’s goal of autonomous driving. But, will I be the subjected to many more unexpected dollar costs for performance features during the life of my car. The oil changes savings for an ICE vehicle are now wiped out by connectivity, etc charges. What other unexpected charges are there in the future that cancel the savings from not owning an ICE vehicle? Are these new features truly optional, or will their absence block or be an impediment to distant, future standard OTA updates?
Other cars have connectivity charges too.

and an optional OTA update that gives you a new feature isn’t the same as an oil change.

Objectively it actually is

The Model 3 LR AWD currently costs $48,990 and has a HP rating of 446.7 ( as per wikipedia ) giving a cost per HP of 109.6HP/$. 10% of 446.7 is 44.67 which "should" cost $4895.83 so 10% for $2k is a bargain. HP ain't cheap look at the cost of a full exhaust and intake for an ICE car often over $2k all said and done and that's usually only around a 2-5% increase
Except for the initial price you also get an entire car built around that HP, not just the HP... with the boost you just get HP. It doesn’t come with an extra set of wheels or anything.

• Funny
Reactions: ZappCatt and rlb4
As I said...

As I'm sure you are aware, there is a LOT of debate about the 980s in the AWD in 2018 vs. the 980s in the P3Ds. It could have been a simple "aspirational" difference (which didn't actually happen) at that point in 2018 - and it has now pretty likely become reality. It is very clear, obviously, in any case, that NOW they do have different rear drive units with different kW ratings.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I still contend that it isn't clear that they're actually different until I see some torn apart and compared. As I've mentioned in other posts I've seen different model numbers on identical parts before in the auto parts world, Incidentally I've seen this in the computer parts world as well

Except for the initial price you also get an entire car built around that HP, not just the HP... with the boost you just get HP. It doesn’t come with an extra set of wheels or anything.
Well I can justify that based on the fact that it's well less than HALF of what I calculated for the full HP cost. $2000 vs $4895 almost $5000 ( That $2895 could buy you those wheels easy ) AND that's why I backed it up with another example of the cost of performance upgrades on an ICE car for comparison.

Reactions: ZappCatt
So I purchased the upgrade this morning via Tesla’s website on my phone. It appeared to go through, as I got a confirmation screen. But when I went out to the car (which was connected to wifi)... nothing. No sport mode. And when I log in to my account in the website, it doesn’t show that I have Acceleration Boost, and I can still go to upgrades and select it again to purchase. Must not have gone through, but then why the confirmation screen. Anyone else encounter this issue?

I have a P3D- & I would buy an acceleration boost in a heartbeat to drop down to the mid 2s.

I know that the concern might be that there would be no point to buy a Model S if Model 3 Performance w/ acceleration boost has similar 0-60 but there are other reasons for buying S outside of acceleration. S is bigger, roomier, and has air suspension, etc. It has a much more "luxurious" feel when fully loaded compared to a 3.

Next thing will be when they say everybody who paid for FSD has to pay another $5000 to enable robotaxi mode.
I fully 100% expect this to be the case. When I bought EAP, the way it was worded, I would get all updates until you can type in an address and take your hands off the wheel. Well that clearly wasn't the case.
My guess is that full self driving will cover the car able to drive itself with human monitor. When the car can actually drive by itself, you can bet there will be a new Autonomous upgrade for probably 5-10k and that one will likely include robo taxi, eventually.

• Disagree
Reactions: ZappCatt
TL;DR; AWD Dual Motor driver here, shut up and take my money.

Genius move by Tesla, to roll out those free performance upgrades to get the 0-60 performance close enough to break the 4 second barrier with this upgrade. It wouldn't have the same ring to it if it just got us to 0-60 in 4.1, lol.

I can't think of any existing AWD Dual Motor drivers who are unhappy with this. Even the prospect of having this option increases the mental value of the car. I wish we could squeeze some other perk (throw in a free few years of Wireless or supercharging maybe??) or performance benefit out of this upgrade, but I do think it's ultimately worth it.

Importantly, you can't assess a linear percentage value to the performance boost here. You have to assume the value exponentiates as you get closer to a zero 0-60mph time. Would you pay 2k to improve 6 sec to 5.5 sec? Unlikely. Would you pay 5k to improve from 3.2 sec to 2.8? Heck yeah. This offer is the perfect upgrade storm. Just wish they didn't cut into my fledgling Cybertruck fund so soon in the game. :cool:

Thanks for your feedback. I got my 2019 LR AWD a few months ago. I wanted a Stealth, but there were none available and I didn't think anymore were going to be made (according to the Tesla SA's), so I settled. I knew then that I would have buyers remorse if any more Stealth's hit the lots, and they did, and then I did. This will help ease that remorse somewhat, although for the same $2k money, the performance isn't quite the same as the Stealth.
Since I have absolutely no valid reason whatsoever for needing that performance anyway, it is 100% fueled by that inner child that grins every time I am on an open road and stomp the Go pedal. It is also hella fun when my wife is in the car, and without warning I stomp the pedal and watch her head hit the headrest.
My wife won't let me press the go pedal more than halfway down when she's in the car...but that's ok because I spend 2 hours/day commuting so I'll still have plenty of chances to enjoy this myself. Plus it's fun to give the tesla grin to co workers. Like someone else said before, this update increases grin by 15% and I haven't bought/tried it yet because I'm on a work trip ;)

Reactions: Sherlo and ZappCatt