Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my impressions on the performance boost after pulling the "trigger" very early this AM in my garage. Seconds later, my car buzzed, whirred and the screen went blank, followed by a quick reboot. Once my TM3 regathered its composure, I looked onto my driving menu, and lo and behold, "CHILL | STANDARD" became "CHILL | SPORT" Voila' Game ON! I slept well afterwards like a seven year old kid on the night before Christmas!

My Setup: 2019 LRAWD with Performance Boost, 9/2019 build, stock 18" Aero Rims with the Primacy tires, 990 rear motor.

I just went out for a "drive" earlier this evening after the boost was applied early this AM.. 80% SOC, 51F, flat roads and man.. you've gotta be half-dead NOT to notice the difference at launch, and especially from 40mph up.. TONS more oomph there.. Of course, not quite P3D levels, but sheesh it feels like 80% of the way there, in spite of the numbers others have reported.. To me, it's the feeling, not just the numbers... This will keep me happy for a good while. I can now feel the blood rush to the back of my 'noggin now right after liftoff.. o_O I did about eight or so launches, and now, stuff flies all over the cabin during acceleration!

Prior to the upgrade, the launch off the line felt a little "casual" until you were at speed.. Now, there's more of a rush to it. I need to test it out on the same test route that I used to test drive a P3D a couple of months ago for a comparison. The P3D felt like "teleporting" in Asteroids, to the other side of the intersection. I still need to compare that, as I was on an open road to test today. In everyday driving, my wife took it out for an errand, and unknowingly noticed the power just casually around town too. She usually drives in "Chill", but I had it in "Sport", soooo.. "Hey hubby, how come it's so fast now?" :D

In short, IMHO, the upgrade is TOTALLY WORTH IT, for those that feel stuck with LR AWD, with the desire for more acceleration and not willing to go through the hassle of selling it for a P3D.. (me).

I have ZERO buyers remorse here for this upgrade. My wife even approves.. :eek:

Of course, for those that haven't yet pulled the trigger on purchasing a Model 3 yet, try to get a Stealth or Performance version.. even more thrills.. Otherwise, this "Acceleration Boost" package is a worthy upgrade, IMHO.

Attention Tesla Upgrade Product Managers: Thank YOU!! Track mode package please for autocrossing, and MORE POWER please!! =) (Don't worry.. It's okay,, because the Performance will be upgraded soon with 100kWh Battery Ludicrous mode, if the tea leaves read correctly!)

Last edited:
Here are my impressions on the performance boost after pulling the "trigger" very early this AM in my garage. Seconds later, my car buzzed, whirred and the screen went blank, followed by a quick reboot. Once my TM3 regathered its composure, I looked onto my driving menu, and lo and behold, "CHILL | STANDARD" became "CHILL | SPORT" Voila' I slept well afterwards like a seven year old kid on the night before Christmas!

My Setup: 2019 LRAWD with Performance Boost, 9/2019 build, stock 18" Aero Rims with the Primacy tires, 990 rear motor.

I just went out for a "drive" earlier this evening after the boost was applied early this AM.. 80% SOC, 51F, flat roads and man.. you've gotta be half-dead NOT to notice the difference at launch, and especially from 40mph up.. TONS more oomph there.. Of course, not quite P3D levels, but sheesh it feels like 80% of the way there, in spite of the numbers others have reported.. To me, it's the feeling, not just the numbers... This will keep me happy for a good while. I can now feel the blood rush to the back of my 'noggin now right after liftoff.. o_O I did about eight or so launches, and now, stuff flies all over the cabin during acceleration!

Prior to the upgrade, the launch off the line felt a little "casual" until you were at speed.. Now, there's more of a rush to it. I need to test it out on the same test route that I used to test drive a P3D a couple of months ago for a comparison. The P3D felt like "teleporting" in Asteroids, to the other side of the intersection. I still need to compare that, as I was on an open road to test today. In everyday driving, my wife took it out for an errand, and unknowingly noticed the power just casually around town too. She usually drives in "Chill", but I had it in "Sport", soooo.. "Hey hubby, how come it's so fast now?" :D

In short, IMHO, the upgrade is TOTALLY WORTH IT, for those that feel stuck with LR AWD, with the desire for more acceleration and not willing to go through the hassle of selling it for a P3D.. (me).

Of course, for those that haven't yet pulled the trigger on purchasing a Model 3 yet, try to get a Stealth or Performance version.. even more thrills.. Otherwise, this "Acceleration Boost" package is a worthy upgrade, IMHO.

Attention Tesla Upgrade Product Managers: Track mode package please for autocrossing.. =)
But, if you get the Stealth now, for that extra 0-60 oomph, that will also drag along with it a higher insurance premium than a non VIN coded P. The AWD+ isn’t a terrible choice, even when going new. YMMV.

But, if you get the Stealth now, for that extra 0-60 oomph, that will also drag along with it a higher insurance premium than a non VIN coded P. The AWD+ isn’t a terrible choice, even when going new. YMMV.

Hmm.. that may depend upon the insurance company. When I checked with mine, there was no difference between trim levels for my TM3 back in 9/2019 when I asked. They just had one quote for the TM3, or maybe I'm just in a different demographic that seems to have a lower risk to them.

• Informative
Reactions: omkar

You continue to post this, repeatedly, as if it is fact across all insurance companies. I'd love to see all of the data you have on this outside of your own insurance company. My insurance company does not differentiate AWD vs P.

Hmm.. that may depend upon the insurance company. When I checked with mine, there was no difference between trim levels for my TM3 back in 9/2019 when I asked. They just had one quote for the TM3, or maybe I'm just in a different demographic that seems to have a lower risk to them.
Good point. Mine is AllState, and there is a difference. Quite a large one, which is why I’m okay with the AWD+ upgrade. Risk wise, no tickets or accidents on record, and retired.

Reactions: MattUNI
You continue to post this, repeatedly, as if it is fact across all insurance companies. I'd love to see all of the data you have on this outside of your own insurance company. My insurance company does not differentiate AWD vs P.
It’s a topic widely discussed across many forums. At the end of the day, it’s best that each person contact their own insurance company as there are many individual variables and insurance company policy differences across different states. It’s not true to tell everyone that the rates are the same or not to expect a difference in insurance premiums between P AWDs and non P AWD either. Or to remain silent on the matter.
I believe others will chime in to report their insurance companies do have different rates for the two models - especially now that Tesla makes it easy for them to do so with the “C” code in position eight in the performance VIN... :rolleyes:

Agreed, the insurance factor is variable for each person. Age, driving record, insurance company, etc. For example, I own both and SR+ and 3P+, the difference in the premium is about $9 a month between the cars.

Here are my impressions on the performance boost after pulling the "trigger" very early this AM in my garage. Seconds later, my car buzzed, whirred and the screen went blank, followed by a quick reboot. Once my TM3 regathered its composure, I looked onto my driving menu, and lo and behold, "CHILL | STANDARD" became "CHILL | SPORT" Voila' Game ON! I slept well afterwards like a seven year old kid on the night before Christmas!

Attention Tesla Upgrade Product Managers: Thank YOU!! Track mode package please for autocrossing, and MORE POWER please!! =) (Don't worry.. It's okay,, because the Performance will be upgraded soon with 100kWh Battery Ludicrous mode, if the tea leaves read correctly!)

Now if Tesla could shave about 800-1000lbs that would be a wild ride and pickup a lot of efficiency in the process.

Reactions: jebinc
Agreed, the insurance factor is variable for each person. Age, driving record, insurance company, etc. For example, I own both and SR+ and 3P+, the difference in the premium is about $9 a month between the cars.

They quoted me the Standard range, LR AWD and Performance, they could care less about the car been performance, they raised the price on the LR AWD and Performance due to the cost of the car, not how fast it is. "State Farm"

I had to drop my long term insurance carrier when i got the model 3 non-performance because they considered it a performance. They wanted $300/month when i was paying only $100/month on a corvette z06 with 650hp that went 0-60 in 2.95 sec (lol).

The text shows up for me, a P3D- owner, and it’s unclear whether it was supposed to be hidden for people with my trim or whether it is an option everyone can buy. Especially if it’s $2k, which is exactly the premium over the LR AWD to get a stealth...

View attachment 489612

This feature does not show up in my UPGRADES, and I own a PD3, 2020, just picked it up last Tuesday. It says I have all of the eligible upgrades.

What does yours say? Our PD3’s already go 0-60 mph 3.2 seconds.

Attachments

• 5E0F2033-88F1-415A-81D4-52FEE7FADFFF.png
    5E0F2033-88F1-415A-81D4-52FEE7FADFFF.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 537C4C30-3B0D-454F-B1D5-9AAF3C00A374.png
    537C4C30-3B0D-454F-B1D5-9AAF3C00A374.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 64
Well folks, I did it. Such an impulse purchase - but tbh I’m thrilled with it. I really don’t think the numbers accurately portray how fast this feels now. I know it’s not a P3D....but holy crap it’s damn close!

If you’re an AWD LR owner just do it. I swear the smiles and giggles are worth it.

Someone else said it earlier and I agree. Before the upgrade, it accelerated “well” now, is almost consider it punishing post update. It’s not a full on performance but wow!!! (coming from a 340i) driver this feels so much faster)

IF you’re the type to have picked a 340i over the [bmw]M3 then you absolutely must get this update. No regrets at all!!

This feature does not show up in my UPGRADES, and I own a PD3, 2020, just picked it up last Tuesday. It says I have all of the eligible upgrades.

What does yours say? Our PD3’s already go 0-60 mph 3.2 seconds.
Well I posted that before the acceleration boost was even live, and there was speculation that it might provide a boost to everyone, not just LR AWD owners. This turned out not to be the case. I definitely don’t have any text about the acceleration boost anymore, and I’m pretty sure no one except LR AWD does either.

Granted I’ve seen only one comparison between a “sport” AWD and “standard” AWD, but I’d be interested in how the comparison would be at closer to 40-60% SoC (not at 90ish%) I’d like to know that the gains are across a broad SoC range, and not just unlocked at say above 80%...

Reactions: pcons
I had to drop my long term insurance carrier when i got the model 3 non-performance because they considered it a performance. They wanted $300/month when i was paying only $100/month on a corvette z06 with 650hp that went 0-60 in 2.95 sec (lol).

Interesting, I had traded a C7 Grand Sport Convertible and it cost me about $15 more per month than the M3P+. State Farm.

Has anyone noticed after the acceleration boost a difference in how the car rides? I did purchase it, now notice it is not nearly as smooth as it was. Even if I change acceleration back to chill. Not sure if this is just in my head...
It now feels "telepathically connected to your brain" (at least for me). Overall drive is much better, IMHO. I suspect this has been the case for P owners all along as well.

Reactions: CitiesSprinter