Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm following this thread because I've been on the fence about purchasing the "boost" since it was made available. I would pay $4k today if we got track mode or at least something better than "slip/start." Seems to me the extra acceleration is great for the drag strip, but otherwise the base LR AWD requires "easing into" the accelerator around corners (and seemingly way too long after the corner) to keep traction control from cutting power.

I'll post this invalid. Was going onramp and a little elevation drop. Thought that was why it was invalid but just noticed it says low GPS. Probably would be invalid for elevation (-2.35%) since it is WAY quicker then it should be but.....

IMG_4037.png

I'd love to think that's the case. :) Back seats were very easy to remove and only took about 10 minutes. I'll put a quick how-to in this reducing weight thread later as I took some pics of the process.

Once my new front rotors from MPP (that shave another 5 pounds per rotor) come in soon I'd imagine I'll be even quicker. I'll probably do a drag strip run after that as well to get a good 1/4 mile time.
How much does the back seat weigh? Is it worth the, although minimal, effort?

How much does the back seat weigh? Is it worth the, although minimal, effort?

57.2 pounds for the back seat. I would say it's worth it if you're wanting to drag race the car and push the limits of what's possible. For me it's just a matter of the savings that add's up all around from other things I've done and I have more to come in that regard (CF trunk, suspension bits).

I've removed 108 pounds total, roughly half of which is rotating mass (rotors/wheels).

Annotation 2020-05-17 161312.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
At the time I was buying, it was $11,000 more to get the P3D-, and the only listed benefit was 1 sec quicker 0-60.

So I remain pretty happy I got half that for $2000.

This is exactly why I didn't buy the performance as well. $10,000 for 1 second didn't make financial sense at all even with PUP. I'm still happy with what I got and for $2K getting halfway there is a stab to all those people that did pay the 10K. Now I'm waiting for the nail in the coffin and I have another $2K saved for it.

While keeping the factory warranty? And, for a car that was already sub 5 seconds to start? The quicker the car, the harder 0.5s is to come by.

The post I was responding to was not about preserving the factory warranty. It is understood that any modification can potentially void the factory warranty, especially tunes. My response was in reference to the outdated belief that increasing HP/Tq is extremely expensive. That is true with normally aspirated engines but just not the case with todays turbo engines. It is very easy and inexpensive to do and there are many tuners doing it. And yes, for cars that are already sub 5 sec cars. Of course as you get faster it becomes harder to achieve the same gains but a lot of that is traction limitations. AWD cars can benefit more than RWD and take longer to get to that point of diminishing returns. All in all I think the "Boost" upgrade from Tesla is great, especially since it maintains the factory warranty. I got it and feel it was worth the $2000. Of course I would like more(full unlock to P), but I can live with this and be happy.

This is exactly why I didn't buy the performance as well. $10,000 for 1 second didn't make financial sense at all even with PUP. I'm still happy with what I got and for $2K getting halfway there is a stab to all those people that did pay the 10K. Now I'm waiting for the nail in the coffin and I have another $2K saved for it.
We got 5k back (plus sales tax back) you may remember. So it was 6k for stealth performance. So really 4K more than AWD with boost, I guess, which is a big difference. Plus we have track mode, which they vastly improved in a recent update. So i feel incredibly fortunate that i got the stealth, and then the 5k, which i immediately gave back to them when FSD went on sale March 2018 for 5k.