Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon to be owner. Recently ordered a M3 LR with plans for adding AB. Blue, black interior, FSD. Est delivery June 12th-30th. I had considered the performance model but wasn't interested in the lowered suspension and larger wheels/summer tires living in the Cleveland area. The LR AWD plus AB seemed ideal to me and didn't even know it was an option until recently since Tesla doesn't seem to advertise it. I know I should wait and see how I like it without AB but I don't see any situation where I'll say to myself I don't want it so plan to add it as soon as I pick it up. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but has anyone been concerned that this option won't always be available since it brings it so close to the performance model and hence eat into its sales?

Soon to be owner. Recently ordered a M3 LR with plans for adding AB. Blue, black interior, FSD. Est delivery June 12th-30th. I had considered the performance model but wasn't interested in the lowered suspension and larger wheels/summer tires living in the Cleveland area. The LR AWD plus AB seemed ideal to me and didn't even know it was an option until recently since Tesla doesn't seem to advertise it. I know I should wait and see how I like it without AB but I don't see any situation where I'll say to myself I don't want it so plan to add it as soon as I pick it up. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but has anyone been concerned that this option won't always be available since it brings it so close to the performance model and hence eat into its sales?
I have always wanted to test drive a M3 LR+AB, however, Tesla just won't have such specs available. The closest I can compared to is M3P vs MYP (should be almost as quick as M3 LR+AB), and I have driven both. M3P is quicker from a dig or low speed roll without question. I don't think Tesla will cut off AB since it is easy money (no additional cost) for them and it serves a perfect middle ground between performance and LR.

Thanks, makes sense. On the other hand you would think they would mention it on their site if they really wanted to try and make money from it.
That's because there is more margin for them when a customer buys a Performance. By not advertising it, that helps upsell on the Performance for people on the fence. For people who just go with the AWD, it's extra profit for Tesla when the user discovers it later. I think this is even more obviated by the fact they create artificial separation in the 0-60 specs by having the AWD listed without the 1' rollout and the P3 with.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I think this is even more obviated by the fact they create artificial separation in the 0-60 specs by having the AWD listed without the 1' rollout and the P3 with.
Yeah I have noticed that. A bit of false advertising really. I was thrilled to find out about the AB option as it's only the added acceleration that I would have wanted form the performance model and not the other upgrades so I'm getting everything I really want this way. While I know that there is still a slight difference between LR+AB and performance it's not as significant as advertised. 0-60 in well under 4s for a 50-60K car is truly amazing. So excited to get this car and drive it daily.

AB doesn't "eat into sales" because it's free money for them. Do they not want an extra $2000? People not buying the performance will continue to not buy the performance. But they might pay an extra $2000 for a boost.

I've just received my new LR, and AB upgrade does not appear in upgrades section. I can see EAP and FSD, but not AB. Anyone knows why? Is it available in Spain? Is it available for all LRs? Maybe it will appear in the future? :(

How long have you had it? Might take a few days to register everything in their system and become available. You can also try rebooting the car itself as well as your app/phone. To reboot the car hold both buttons on the steering wheel down until the screen goes blank then release. I haven't heard any particular information about it being limited to only certain places.

Reactions: pep_dj
Hey guys first post on the forum, just wanting to confirm acceleration boost is available in Canada correct? I believe the answer is yes based on what I have seen on here but just wanting to double check.
I have been on the fence between the LR-AWD and the Performance models but the $10K price difference is really hard to justify when I know its a want not a need. I have no intention of utilizing track mode and the $2700 acceleration boost sounds great for me.

Thanks, apologies if this has been asked and I missed it.