Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys for some reason I am having an issue coming up with something good for warning plate. I don’t want a bumper sticker because stickers stick….

View attachment 722111

I need some brainstorming….

I think you might want to reconsider.

If an accident occurs that you’re not at fault for the other party could still claim your self driving vehicle caused the collision and probably have a good case with that evidence. Maybe I’m just paranoid.

Guys for some reason I am having an issue coming up with something good for warning plate. I don’t want a bumper sticker because stickers stick….

View attachment 722111

I need some brainstorming….
The first day I think I let it do it’s own thing a bit too much an ended up having some dude road rage me pretty hard…lesson learned, I am not allowing it to do its own thing anywhere near anybody now, so a bumper sticker or something saying FSD is useless for me.

Reactions: impastu
Ok. I've been on a few drives now with FSD beta and my mind is truly blown. It's amazing that we are actually seeing cars mapping and driving through their environment real time with only cameras. Yes I have interventions and the pendulum swings back and forth between amazing and completely stupid but it's an incredible sight to behold. I'm thrilled to be part of this!

Good for you!
The particular scenario my car was trying to slow down too much to try and get over to an on ramp to the free way…normally I would have just gunned it and got in front of somebody, but the Tesla wanted to play it slow and see if anyone would let it in…they wouldn’t. Guy behind me was a dick, but it’s not worth it to deal with it. Take over and either get on there or just wait for the next on ramp.

Gotta say after using Beta for almost a week now and having just completed a run to Apple Pan in LA and back, I LOVE Beta. It works so damn well. That doesn’t mean no interventions, btw. I intervene all the time, similar to how I used AP. One weird glitch is that a decent portion of the time, as I am a block or two away from a right or left turn while in the proper lane, the car tries to change lanes in the opposite way it’s supposed to go for no discernible reason. I just override and stay where I am.

Sometimes it slows/is twitchy while attempting a turn so I just smoothly hit the go pedal or turn the wheel myself with zero issues. Sometimes it wants to do something that doesn’t make sense to me in the moment so I take over. I have noticed after the fact sometimes that what I thought was an error was in fact the car wanting to take a different route than what I expected, but I am of course maintaining situational awareness and not looking at the screen so I don’t know what the car was trying to do until after I’ve taken over.

So far it’s been a beautiful ADA for me. Once I stopped expecting it to do everything for me and just smoothly intercede when I think it is necessary (the car may in fact do fine if I don’t intervene, but I don’t care enough to gamble on it) and just treat it as a driving aid instead of Full Self Driving, it’s just amazing. It’s AP on steroids, and since my AP usage already was predicated on me keeping my hands on the wheel while maintaining situational awareness at all times taking over smoothly at will, this hasn’t been much different except Beta is more capable. Im probably lucky due to my location in SoCal, but damn I love it. Now to hope it doesn’t randomly try to kill me sometime soon now that im in love.

I should mention that a big reason I love Beta is that it fixed some issues AP had for me. I live on the top of a hill, and the main streets leading down have 25 mph speed limit signs meant for semi trucks going downhill, but the car would read those as regular 25mph signs, so AP was essentially unusable since at best I could adjust to 30 mph while every other non-semi was going 50+. Beta still sees the 25mph signs and sets the speed low, but I can adjust to 50+ easily so it’s usable. There were also several intersections where AP would decide to swerve from one lane to another that Beta no longer does. And one section of a three lane road that AP for some reason wouldn’t see the left lane but would think the middle lane was the left lane, the right lane the middle lane, and the sidewalk the right lane for no apparent reason Beta now sees correctly. So far, Beta in SoCal (which I assume is one of those “overfit” areas) is by far and away the greatest damn driving aid I could imagine having that isn’t actual full self driving that would let me read/watch tv/sleep in the backseat.

Shout Out: Those tracking data uploads from using beta FSD.... What tool are you using to track network usage and reporting/graphing?
@Phlier

Only certain routers would easily give you a data usage report for any connected device.

So far I found 1:

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1
I recommend always disabling it using the gear shifter (assuming you don’t have the yoke) so that TACC is disengaged and you don’t have to tap the brakes and can then decide whether you need to turn more or less, brake, or accelerate. Always do it the same so you aren’t surprised TACC is still going.
How do I disable using the shifter?? Lol. I've always pulled it quickly twice to enable autopilot and then hit the break to disengage it?

I recommend always disabling it using the gear shifter (assuming you don’t have the yoke) so that TACC is disengaged and you don’t have to tap the brakes and can then decide whether you need to turn more or less, brake, or accelerate. Always do it the same so you aren’t surprised TACC is still going.
Gotta disagree there... I think Tesla logs whether it's steering, brake, or stick that disengaged. I'd REALLY HOPE that the steering correction is logged and reported as part of snapshots and disengagements (w/ the resulting snapshots). So, I disengage with stick when I mean "I want to go somewhere you don't" (know it's going to take the wrong lane, take a bad route and want it to reroute, etc). I disengage with wheel to say "Yo the lane is over here", and the brake to say "Yo, how about not sniffing that car's butthole".

Most of the time, I'm not surprised by TACC still running, and intend for it to do so. Sometimes, though rarely... TACC is on and it accelerates unexpectedly, and I brake that too. I respond really quickly to AP being stupid, not like most videos I see where the driver is ... pretty much letting FSD do its thing...

Hard to tell what the correct behavior would be, but honestly I'd lean towards steering breakout = TACC disengage as well, being something Tesla should implement. If braking disengages steering (and often, I wish it wouldn't), then having steering not complement disengaging acceleration as well is asymmetrical. Both modes ought to complement each other.

tl;dr: Tesla most likely uses the mode of disengagement as data, but I really believe they should disable TACC as well when disengaging by steering wheel.

Last edited:
How do I disable using the shifter?? Lol. I've always pulled it quickly twice to enable autopilot and then hit the break to disengage it?
😳😳😳 yikes, lol

The shifter stick is a two-step stick. In each direction there's a half-step and a full-pull.

Full-pull up for "R".
Half-pull up and hold while stopped for "N".
Half-pull up briefly to disengage AP.
{neutral}
Half-push down once for TACC (the acceleration/braking part of AP).
Half-push down twice for AP/FSD (TACC + Autosteer).
Half-push down to confirm AP/FSD lane changes immediately.
Full push down to go into "D".

Frantically half-tap down to confirm or try to re-engage AP to accidentally trigger

Reactions: BitJam and Phlier
unless anyone comes ok with something better soon this is what I’m rolling with

BAF8003F-8031-490C-9D98-ED19BCC240D7.png

😳😳😳 yikes, lol

The shifter stick is a two-step stick. In each direction there's a half-step and a full-pull.

Full-pull up for "R".
Half-pull up and hold while stopped for "N".
Half-pull up briefly to disengage AP.
{neutral}
Half-push down once for TACC (the acceleration/braking part of AP).
Half-push down twice for AP/FSD (TACC + Autosteer).
Half-push down to confirm AP/FSD lane changes immediately.
Full push down to go into "D".

Frantically half-tap down to confirm or try to re-engage AP to accidentally trigger
One correction: Half-pull up and hold for one second will shift to N when moving or stopped. Its a safety feature in case of a malfunctioning accelerator.

unless anyone comes ok with something better soon this is what I’m rolling with

View attachment 722177

I have FSD Beta and I would go with something that expresses patience and is apologetic.

This feels elitists and I think the reality is that other drivers should not have to "deal with it", rather we as FSD Beta testers should be dealing with it.

Edit: or something funny like "Student AI Driver, Robot Overlord in Training"

Last edited:
The first day I think I let it do it’s own thing a bit too much an ended up having some dude road rage me pretty hard…lesson learned, I am not allowing it to do its own thing anywhere near anybody now, so a bumper sticker or something saying FSD is useless for me.

Yeah I think we should be intervening often to 1) stay safe; 2) have the car behave how others in your area expect it to behave. Both of these are notably different than how we optimized for Safety Score, but I think of it as a new game with different rules. If we had the capability to game one system, we should be able to do the same with the other system.