Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 10.2 last night. My main concern is that it's driving way too close to the center of the wider unmarked 2-way streets in my neighborhood - anyone else feel that way? Almost a car width too far to the left and closer than I feel comfortable when there's an oncoming car.

Finally, mapped but hard-to-see turns (e.g. into a store parking lot that's mapped correctly on the nav) are a bit chaotic with the steering wheel movements as well as the overall speed, though I was impressed that it was able to find the right entrance in the first place. I ended up disengaging right after making the turn because it was moving a bit too quickly onto the sloped entrance.
That has been my experience as well. My neighborhood has unmarked streets and the car seems to try and drive down the exact center. It does move over when there is oncoming traffic but not as quickly as it should and it can spook the other driver. And these roads are curvy so sometimes you can't see an oncoming car until the last second.

There's also a stop sign intersection and because there are no painted center line it approaches the intersection while in the middle of the road. Which isn't good because it blocks other drivers from making a turn onto this road. And it will sometimes veer sharply left as it approaches the stop sign which basically blocks the entire road. I did email Tesla about this.

I also noticed similar behavior with the turns. FSD Beta has missed a few turns for me especially if they are small entrances or are partially occluded. It would be okay if it just drove and rerouted but sometimes it misses the turn and just slams the brakes in the middle of the road/parking lot. Also it misses some turns because occasionally it will change lanes away from the turn 0.1 miles from the next turn and "miss" which is also strange.

Another issue I've been having is FSD Beta trying to pass vehicles that are waiting for a light. I'll be waiting at a red light behind a bunch of cars and FSD will suddenly try to swerve out of the lane and "pass" the car in front of me which is totally inappropriate.

I did my typical commute from Southern NH to Boston. Used AP/FSD the whole way. Zero phantom braking! On old AP w/ radar, I'd get about 2 phantom braking events at signs or overpasses. I've heard others say it's been worse on vision only, but.... not in my experience. My follow distance was set to 2. I could verify that I was running vision only because the visualization rarely showed a car in front of the car I'm following.

Reactions: impastu
I did my typical commute from Southern NH to Boston. Used AP/FSD the whole way. Zero phantom braking! On old AP w/ radar, I'd get about 2 phantom braking events at signs or overpasses. I've heard others say it's been worse on vision only, but.... not in my experience. My follow distance was set to 2. I could verify that I was running vision only because the visualization rarely showed a car in front of the car I'm following.
Some phantom braking issues have gone away - others have been reintroduced.

Reactions: impastu and nvx1977
Dirty Tesla mentions in this video that months ago, the AP engineering team reached out to the testers to assure them that they are getting the data they need from all the participating cars wrt disengagement events. Their advice was to just drive safely. I assume that meant safely with FSD engaged. Here's the vid, which also has some pretty interesting situations. In other vids he's made, he's mentioned that it's not necessarily to heavily use the AP snapshot button, esp if a disengagement makes it obvious. I bet every hard braking event is sent. no need to snapshot.

Dirty Tesla mentions in this video that months ago, the AP engineering team reached out to the testers to assure them that they are getting the data they need from all the participating cars wrt disengagement events. Their advice was to just drive safely. I assume that meant safely with FSD engaged. Here's the vid, which also has some pretty interesting situations. In other vids he's made, he's mentioned that it's not necessarily to heavily use the AP snapshot button, esp if a disengagement makes it obvious. I bet every hard braking event is sent. no need to snapshot.

With 15x more testers, I wonder if the snapshot button becomes more relevant for the engineers. So many people disengage for various reasons, many of which have nothing to do with fsd beta performance.

In their email to us testers, they only mention the button.

Well I figured it was time to try one of the more difficult local rotary's. Even following a car into the rotary it failed as soon as FSD saw both dotted and dashed lines crossing. Took about 6 disengagements to make it around the rotary. Pretty much a disaster but to be fair everyone struggles with this rotary. On another simpler rotary FSD still hasn't make it into the rotary, after 8 tries. Just sits and slightly creeps but there is only so long you can wait with a car behind you before needing the go pedal.
Drum Hill Rotary.png

Agreed. That describes my last FSD experience theee days ago. Don’t plan on letting it drive again until 10.3; and that may be short lived as well. By software development methodology definition, “beta” software would never be this unrefined. This is Alpha at best, running on the development server, not production server.
I'm giving myself a breather. Last one today was after a good navigation to the grocery store (almost), it nicely made the left in to the shopping center drive and then out of nowhere decided to take a 'U' turn and go backout to the highway. Regardless of the oncoming traffic. I guess it prefers a different grocer. And I'v always coddled it. Park it way out in a corner by itself

• Funny
Reactions: EVNow and impastu
On my last drive today FSD adhering to the 30mph drove right past a right hand turn. It will always fail this turn at this posted speed limit. I have to reduce the speed to 20 mph before it will barely make the turn, However, for a turn this obstructed it should slow to 5mph or less, creep and then turn. That is how everyone drives it. Sent photo and additional info to Tesla's FSD beta team.

Most people talk about creeping when pulling out but there are cases where you have to creep turning into a street. Welcome to streets designed during the horse and buggy era!

FSD Right Hand Turn.jpg

There was zero traffic around so I let FSD make a right on red. It creeps for 10 seconds with the steering wheel flailing around to totally different angles like its parallel parking or something. Car is sticking out like halfway in the intersection and its still creeping so I just hit the accelerator finally and it turned.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and impastu
After playing with fsd beta for 2 days, I’ve decided I’m going to just check on its progress every update rather than using daily. My car has used its friction brakes more over the last 2 days than my entire time of ownership (almost 2 yrs, over 20k miles). The fsd brakes a lot unnecessarily and much later/harder than I or most humans would. Also gets in the way of other drivers who get on my bumper and generally causes the drive to be more much more stressful…which is ironic since the Tesla is the most relaxing to drive car I’ve driven.

I've noticed the same behavior on some residential streets which have no lines. At 30 mph (the speed limit) it jiggles the wheel but misses the turn. Set the speed to 10 or 15 and it makes the turn perfectly.
Mine does that too even with clear visibility, it wont enter a certain side street that is slightly raised above grade, not quite flush with the main road. At least it won't turn left into it, but a right turn works with a lot of jerkiness.

Mine does that too even with clear visibility, it wont enter a certain side street that is slightly raised above grade, not quite flush with the main road. At least it won't turn left into it, but a right turn works with a lot of jerkiness.
The slope issue on turns has been mentioned here previously. It's almost like the upslope road appears foreshortened to the vision system and this distortion is affecting car's ability to make the turn. The visualization shows everything as completely flat.

But Bill... honestly, though... "typhlotic?" You must be an old guy like me?
Age is SO subjective? Are you trying to chronologically date me? I have been told that I don't look old enough to be so accomplished, but I will tell you that I'm way older than the internet. I do remember, a long time ago, sitting behind Jesus in second grade. Oh sugar! That will probably offend some people. Sorry in advance.