Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they use Google for map data, they have their own but I don't know where they source changes from. And last I heard they use TomTom for speed limit data.

OSM is used for parking lot smart summon. (Which is done on their servers in the cloud so an update on the car isn't necessary to see changes.)
Thanks Mike. Do you know if individuals can make changes to speed limits on TomTom?

Thanks Mike. Do you know if individuals can make changes to speed limits on TomTom?

It seems like they support users making changes:

MapShare Reporter

With the TomTom MapShare Reporter you can report the following map changes:

• Speed limit - add or update a speed limit.
    You can add a speed limit or update an existing speed limit using the following options:
    Select Speed Limit , then Add a speed signboard to indicate the road on the map where a speed limit must be added.
    As well as maximum speed and standard information, you can also provide more details in your report, for example type of vehicle or time restrictions. Select Add more details to see the full list of report items.
    Select Speed Limit , then Update a speed limit to indicate the road on the map where the speed limit needs to be updated.
    As well as maximum speed and standard information, you can also provide more details in your report, for example type of vehicle or time restrictions. Select Add more details to see the full list of report items.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja and EVNow
Variations in darkness of the pavement seems to cause this, even the shadows of trees across the street.

however in an interesting twist, I had a ton of these soft phantom braking events during an overcast day, which makes the road contrast issues negligible. Visualization shows nothing warranting caution. no false detections of pedetrians as mailboxes, trash bins, etc. Wish the car could give us feedback for the braking events so we know the reasoning. That context could help us submit better reports.

however in an interesting twist, I had a ton of these soft phantom braking events during an overcast day, which makes the road contrast issues negligible. Visualization shows nothing warranting caution. no false detections of pedetrians as mailboxes, trash bins, etc. Wish the car could give us feedback for the braking events so we know the reasoning. That context could help us submit better reports.
I agree that would weaken the shadows, but any variations in the pavement like patches and resurfacing would still be visible.

Reactions: nvx1977
I went a couple of days of not using the FSD beta on either of my cars...used it today and pretty much saw the same issues over and over again that drive me crazy (driving near the middle of unmarked roads and proceeding way to slowly at all the intersections near my house)

Reactions: zigmeister
Could you document the next time it happens, so maybe we can figure out what's different about those streets? Did the speed limit sign in the visualization show 15 mph? It's possible that the difference is in the quality of the mapping data.
Good idea, I might've narrowed it down to one of the roads near me. Will see if I can reproduce tomorrow. The speed limit sign in the visualization shows 15 mph, though I'm not sure if it is due to construction in the area.

... it doesn't indicate that protected lefts must have a no right on red for oncoming traffic at all. If you're posting code, I'd like to see that bit out of curiosity. Regardless, I agree that it indicates that any lane can be used on a protected left, and that could make a right-on-red accident the fault of the "right-turner" even though the "left-turner" was crossing lanes, but that delves away from defensive driving discussion anyway. As you likely understand, defensive driving is about avoiding accidents, not avoiding fault (which is why the "left-turner" should use the leftmost lane or at least avoid the rightmost one for the discussed situations), and IMO, FSD should be both law-abiding and defensive.
No, we were talking about completing a LEFT TURN onto a multi-lane street. In many areas where two dedicated left turn lanes are protected with an arrow, it means for sure the people in the second lane will by definition be turning into a lane other than the leftmost. This could create a hazard for a driver facing the red light while the left turn arrow from the other direction is illuminated. Thus, it's not unusual to see "No Right on Red" signs in that circumstance.

If I make a left turn (assume from the leftmost lane) and turn into the right lane after determining the lane is clear, as I complete the turn, if someone is turning right (they MUST turn into the rightmost lane by law after determining it's safe) it's an interesting question about fault. But I agree that the California law seems overly liberal with respect to the lane a vehicle turning left may enter at completion of the turn.

Reactions: mxnym
Hard braking or small slowdowns ? Small slowdowns keep happening - but I've not had a "real" phantom braking in a while ... (except in that one downhill road).
While approaching a traffic light yesterday, FSD Beta braked quite hard. There was one car ahead of me waiting at the light when I approched. However, there were easily 5 car lengths between my car and the car ahead. Luckily there wasn't anyone behind me. Even though I reacted quickly with the go pedal, that could've caused a wreck given the severity and randomness of the braking.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
While approaching a traffic light yesterday, FSD Beta braked quite hard. There was one car ahead of me waiting at the light when I approched. However, there were easily 5 car lengths between my car and the car ahead. Luckily there wasn't anyone behind me. Even though I reacted quickly with the go pedal, that could've caused a wreck given the severity and randomness of the braking.
You are on 2021.36.5.3, right? I think many have noticed the car approaches stopped traffic too fast and then slows down too hard, but if you had a FCW-hard breaking, that's unusual.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I went a couple of days of not using the FSD beta on either of my cars...used it today and pretty much saw the same issues over and over again that drive me crazy (driving near the middle of unmarked roads and proceeding way to slowly at all the intersections near my house)
Yep. Similar experiences with me as well. What’s up with the 25-27mph max speed on unmarked roads, even when the posted speed limits are displayed? If I let FSD drive that speed on those unmarked roads, I get a lot of swerving (not terrible, but not normal at all). If I intervene and hit the go-go pedal and accelerate to say, 40-45mph, it actually behaves much better. Stays to the RIGHT side of the road, and swerving stops.

Reactions: mxnym and geekfam
I think it was going slowly because it's very much still a baby 🐣 beta driver in 💩 diapers. It had no legit reason to be holding up traffic, and that's why I gave it a little go pedal. 🤣
I get that - just saying FC was the reason why it wasn't going fast. Basically when there is more uncertainty, then their is more hesitation.

Yep. Similar experiences with me as well. What’s up with the 25-27mph max speed on unmarked roads, even when the posted speed limits are displayed? If I let FSD drive that speed on those unmarked roads, I get a lot of swerving (not terrible, but not normal at all). If I intervene and hit the go-go pedal and accelerate to say, 40-45mph, it actually behaves much better. Stays to the RIGHT side of the road, and swerving stops.
Unmarked roads = higher uncertainty.