Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have an accelerator and a way to disengage if necessary? Or did those disappear in 10.5 too? No need to brake early. Just press the accelerator to get through it, possibly while disengaging.
I run into the same situation as OP that you quoted often enough that I’m checking the mirror while approaching any busy intersection (stop sign / stop light). Disengaging is the best if you can do it quickly and coast the rest of the way using regen / normal braking. Modulating early braking with the accelerator is hard because if you don’t let go gently enough it’ll slam the brakes again, making you look stupid twice in a row haha

Another related complaint is the car needs to pull out further forward when making an unprotected left; almost got rear ended the other day because someone was following too closely and he didn’t appreciate that my car stopped at the stop line instead of proceeding further into the interesection, oops. Swerved around with inches to spare. No change in 10.5 - the good unprotected left earlier today was started from behind the line, but luckily there was no one behind me when I pulled up to the green light

Tesla pushed out the update again and that helped alot.
Besides the update I recalibrated cameras, reset the screen and powered off/on in that order. Drives were actually very good after that. Certainly my best drives regardless of FSD version.
  • In my neighborhood with several tuns only .1 mile apart FSD did not speed up as quickly only to have to brake hard to make the next turn. Nice.
  • Slowed down much sooner on sharp corners. Previously on 1 corner it would try and take it at 35mph only to drift into the other lane before slowing down.
  • Improvement at 3 and 4 way stop signs
  • General improvement on 90 degree turns. Much sooner with very little jerkiness.
  • Rotary, almost managed to enter without stopping but at least the delay before creeping forward was less. Still a lot of improvement needed. The only way to really test it is to make sure nobody is behind me. Easier said than done.
  • Seemed a little quicker to move into the right lane
  • Smoother stops when approaching lights.
  • Very little phantom braking/slowness but that maybe because the drives were at night. Will see what tomorrow brings.
In summary as bad as 10.4 was 10.5 is a welcome improvement. As I read thru other postings it still is amazing how much variation there is from one car to another.

Besides the update I recalibrated cameras, reset the screen and powered off/on in that order. Drives were actually very good after that. Certainly my best drives regardless of FSD version.
  • In my neighborhood with several tuns only .1 mile apart FSD did not speed up as quickly only to have to brake hard to make the next turn. Nice.
  • Slowed down much sooner on sharp corners. Previously on 1 corner it would try and take it at 35mph only to drift into the other lane before slowing down.
  • Improvement at 3 and 4 way stop signs
  • General improvement on 90 degree turns. Much sooner with very little jerkiness.
  • Rotary, almost managed to enter without stopping but at least the delay before creeping forward was less. Still a lot of improvement needed. The only way to really test it is to make sure nobody is behind me. Easier said than done.
  • Seemed a little quicker to move into the right lane
  • Smoother stops when approaching lights.
  • Very little phantom braking/slowness but that maybe because the drives were at night. Will see what tomorrow brings.
In summary as bad as 10.4 was 10.5 is a welcome improvement. As I read thru other postings it still is amazing how much variation there is from one car to another.

here's a virtual high five! 🙌 Boston area is not hopeless :D

As I read thru other postings it still is amazing how much variation there is from one car to another.
almost certainly due to local roads rather than the car. Majority of early beta testers (pre safety score) seemed to be west coast, so I reckon of your local roads are like that you may have better luck.
Biggest issue for me right now is the many sharp corners that have side roads joining at the corner. No road signs because we have right of way and the side road has a stop sign. 10.5 like 10.4 will come to a full and complete stop while signalling. Then it waits for at least 5-7 seconds before very, very slowly creeping round the corner. All this with no other cars on the road.
I have four of those in succession leaving my neighborhood - its painful and really starts the journey off on the wrong foot.

What does this even mean? Was it supposed to be sarcastic or something..since when I translate it back to Russian it usually gets lost. I’m pretty good with humor but sarcasm is harder for me.
Just saying you can intervene anytime; there’s no reason anyone has to know you are using FSD Beta, and in fact for Tesla, it’s best that no one knows. They get the best data that way I suspect, if there is any value in that data.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I took my 130 round trip yesterday. 65 miles each way about 50 % each highway and city. Trip out, 1 intervention, and it wasn't necessary, I was in a double left turn on the inside next to a 18 wheeler and felt too close and I took over and moved in a foot or two. Would grade trip 1 almost an A +..
Trip 2 on the return, exact same trip but coming home, 5 interventions, mainly having to hit go pedal.One time was the car weaving into to a right turn lane for a few seconds when I was supposed to stay straight. Another the car didn't plan to get in line for a left turn lane that was congested and just blew past it and had to re route. Trip back,, B -.....Overall, I would say 1 step forward, and no steps back... making progress, even for us yokers!

Reactions: RabidYak
EVERY time, I do and I sent a bunch of increasingly NASTY bug reports… at one point I think I MIGHT have even said “what is this s..t” but hopefully, I didn’t actually.

On another note. I noticed that my 10.5 FSD release notes said that one had THREE disengagements before it would revoke FSD, but I’ve read that some people say It’s only TWO. Are there different thresholds for different folks, cars, drivers? Does more chances mean you’re a WORSE driver or a BETTER driver?
My 2017 X definitely says TWO. I wouldn't be surprised if vehicles with no interior camera say two while vehicles with an interior camera say three.

My 2017 X definitely says TWO. I wouldn't be surprised if vehicles with no interior camera say two while vehicles with an interior camera say three.
I have an interior camera and my control panel says 2. Unfortunately, I‘ve already had one disengagement - eyes on the road, hands on the steering wheel but was on the phone so I didn’t notice the command to apply slight turning pressure on the yoke. As a result, I use FSD very sparingly now.

I only took a few short drives with my 3 LR RWD. I did notice significant improvement in car positioning on unmarked roads; it no longer seems like it wants to ride down the middle. Not enough other driving to judge beyond that.
One fun thing I've noticed as that 10.4 and now 10.5 seem to handle metered on-ramps,... maybe. These are the ramps where a traffic light is present to allow only one car at a time to proceed to the highway. The one ramp I've taken actually has two lanes with alternating lights. FSD seems to 'respect' the light for it's lane and doesn't try to proceed when the light for the opposing lane flips to green. It also didn't try to go through the green when there was a car in front of me (for which the green was intended). But that may have been more to do with how quickly the green flipped back to red.

There are also a fair amount of issues I've encountered that can be blamed on bad map or navigation data.
Here's an example of what I've been emailing [email protected] after capturing a video clip. I hope this gets to the right folks as I think these types of issues should be easy to address...
-----------------------------------------
Date and Time: 16-Nov at about 609 PM, Video clip captured.
VIN: xxxxxxxx

GPS
39°56'17.9"N 75°21'01.8"W
39.938313, -75.350501

Navigation from northbound Sproul Rd to Southbound Highway 1 can be done via a left at those GPS coordinates (it is a traffic light).
In-car Nav recommends continuing North and then a U-turn.

In-car
unnamed.png

Google Maps (correct) routing:
unnamed (1).png

went for a drive in a different part of town, just through someone else's neighborhood for a change ;)

I'm convinced the cars gets analysis paralysis at those T junction stop signs making unprotected lefts.
It sits there an uncomfortably long time, sometime 7-8 seconds with no traffic in sight.
Several times it felt like it was waiting for a car to show up, then when one did it would seem to wake up then make the left turn.
We made two right turns at traffic lights today. Both with cars in front.
First one was a right on red. It stopped at least 30 feet from the car in front. When that car turned we just sat there with a clear road in front and 40-50 feet to the junction and no traffic coming from the left. I gave up at that point, then re-engaged after the turn.
Second one the light turned green while we were waiting and it treated it like it was still red. Prodding to go pedal got it moving.
So a whole bunch of WTF this morning with many disengagements and pedal assistance.
However, sweeping small roads that meander along are much better, as are most unmarked/no centerline roads. They are much better than before.
Also much, much better is merging traffic, folks cutting in front or coming in from side roads. The car doesn't freak out like it used to - so much better.
Definitely need the student drive placard

Feels like a thorns & roses report :D

There are also a fair amount of issues I've encountered that can be blamed on bad map or navigation data.
Here's an example of what I've been emailing [email protected] after capturing a video clip. I hope this gets to the right folks as I think these types of issues should be easy to address...
-----------------------------------------
Date and Time: 16-Nov at about 609 PM, Video clip captured.
VIN: xxxxxxxx

GPS
39°56'17.9"N 75°21'01.8"W
39.938313, -75.350501

Navigation from northbound Sproul Rd to Southbound Highway 1 can be done via a left at those GPS coordinates (it is a traffic light).
In-car Nav recommends continuing North and then a U-turn.

In-car
View attachment 736841

Google Maps (correct) routing:
View attachment 736842
What does TomTom navigation show ?

See this post & thread.

Had a comparatively bad drive in the morning dropping off kids.

Its the same route I've done 20x over the last month with FSD - there is some variability, even with same release. So, have to wait for a few more drives for a reliable report.

- On the first right turn from stop, suddenly jerked the wheel to the left - so got disengaged. While I've written a lot about the jerkiness when turning right from a stop, none of the wheel action has been this much.
- At an intersection where the side roads have stop signs, the shoulder starts out very broad and then narrows. On rainy nights, the car had got confused once and gotten into the shoulder - but today in broad day light on a dray day, the car decided to use the shoulder rather than the lane it has taken every day. Second disengagement.
- At a signal when going straight, the car decided to go only 100 ft or so and then stop. Not sure what happened - had to take over. Unfortunately hadn't turned on the camera. So, third disengagement.

Apart from the above 3, had some usual disengagements.

- At a traffic signal where the car needs to turn right, it is supposed to be no-turn on red (the signal says "right turn signal"). But most people turn and honk if someone doesn't. Had to disengage here because, the car stopped well short of the intersection and for me to even press the go pedal, I need the car to creep. Not sure we can control the creep by pushing the go pedal, without the car deciding to take off at the wrong time.
- Roundabout that is not in the map

Other observations ..
- The car seemed to keep more to the left right on unmarked roads. Could be just the normal variability.
- When finishing the drive at home, the car came closer to the curb. New behavior or just by chance ?
- Turns when already moving have always been variable. Some smooth, others jerky. Today all the turns seemed jerky.

So, on the basis of this one drive, I've to say 10.5 was worse than 10.4. But need more observations to confirm.

Same route today - very similar conditions - different experience.

- On the right turn from stop, where it jerked left yesterday - there was no jerk today. Just a little wiggle and a turn like in 10.4.
- Creeping forward and turn on red continue to be difficult. Need to disengage.
- At a round about pressed the go pedal when it was hesitating and the car locked up instead of going forward. Had to disengage.
- Definitely stays more to the left on unmarked roads. Still strays towards the center for no reason sometimes. But, overall better than 10.4. A definite improvement on this one.
- Turns when moving continue to be a bit jerky, more jerky it seems than 10.4. Will have to analyze old videos to confirm.

Just had an absolutely awful drive. Roads were rural two lane roads, well marked, speed limits of 55. Phantom braking was the worst I’ve seen yet. It was sunny, no clouds, perhaps it was braking for shadows cast from trees, or differences in pavement colors (darker vs. lighter, where a section of road was repaired). FSD was basically unusable. The phantom braking was not the 1-2mph slow-downs, but rather 10-25mph slow-downs.

Other phantom braking: seemed to slow when approaching intersections or passing them. Seemed to slow for parked vehicles in driveways. Again, these were 10-2mph slow downs.

There were not many turns made, but the one right turn which it should have no issue with was terrible. Car stopped as if there was a stop sign, and would not complete (or even start the turn). I had to gas it for it to complete the maneuver.

It’s strange, I don’t have an issue with phantom braking in more dense areas or expressways, it’s on these rural roads where I see it the most. Sucks, cuz that’s were I live.

Edit: on curves to the right, still hugs the center lane markings. Car keeping too far left on those curves.

Last edited:
Reactions: eli_
Just had an absolutely awful drive. Roads were rural two lane roads, well marked, speed limits of 55. Phantom braking was the worst I’ve seen yet. It was sunny, no clouds, perhaps it was braking for shadows cast from trees, or differences in pavement colors (darker vs. lighter, where a section of road was repaired). FSD was basically unusable. The phantom braking was not the 1-2mph slow-downs, but rather 10-25mph slow-downs.

Other phantom braking: seemed to slow when approaching intersections or passing them. Seemed to slow for parked vehicles in driveways. Again, these were 10-2mph slow downs.

There were not many turns made, but the one right turn which it should have no issue with was terrible. Car stopped as if there was a stop sign, and would not complete (or even start the turn). I had to gas it for it to complete the maneuver.

It’s strange, I don’t have an issue with phantom braking in more dense areas or expressways, it’s on these rural roads where I see it the most. Sucks, cuz that’s were I live.

Edit: on curves to the right, still hugs the center lane markings. Car keeping too far left on those curves.
Same here. Almost never using FSD now since the phantom braking is SO ANNOYING.

• Love
Reactions: jebinc
Same here. Almost never using FSD now since the phantom braking is SO ANNOYING.

I just received 10.5 as a new FSD Beta addition, so first time using any of the Beta versions, and on the short out and back loop I did from my house to test it out I had double digit phantom breaking incidents.

Some were so slight that you could barely feel it, and some were pretty aggressive.

All of the streets are tree lined and have lots of shadows cast over the road.

Overall though it did a decent job... I'd give it a C+ for the trip... I had to goose the go pedal on a right at a red light when it started to pull out in front of someone coming down the road, and I had one disengagement at a T junction stop sign where the car was about to pull out in front of a car coming down the road at a pretty fast pace.

I'm looking forward to putting it through the paces over the next few days/weeks.

Reactions: FSDtester#1

Ditto, ditto, ditto ditto, ditto

Reactions: jebinc
Similar experience. My first drive yesterday was actually pretty good. It even did well in a one lane tunnel under some RR tracks, appropriately waiting it's turn.

Today was a different story. After starting out well for a couple miles, I was making a right from the top of a 'T'. The bottom has a stop and there was a pickup there. FSD decided to take it so wide I'm sure I was about to plow in to the side. Not even a side-swipe but a full headon in to the side of the pickup. Making a right from the end of that road is 3 lanes. Left, straight, and right. Had to disengage to get it to go to the right lane. Coming out of the parking lot next, the car was either going to bolt in to traffic. Not oncoming but continuous. Or it was going to edge way too far out to be safe. Hit the brakes and re-engaged 3 times before giving up and manually leaving that parking lot. Finally at the last parking lot, I backed out and engaged FSD. At this point I am parallet with the road I need to get on to . The car had a problem navigating out of the parking lot on to the main road but this time it was just steering. It went too far to be able to steer left to leave.

Thats interesting - I wonder why this happens.

On Freeways - its a different code and probably assumes people leaving their lanes or suddenly crossing in front of you is low.

Dense areas i.e. with a lot of cars - would probably help perception better e.g. if there is a road with a patch and thus two totally different shades, on an empty road perception would attach a higher probability of a non-drivable obstruction there. But a car is driving on that portion - perception would give that same area close zero % chance of being an obstruction. This is like having a lead car - which makes lane detection much easier (both for the NN and for us at night).