Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woohoo...strikes reset with 10.8.1! Interesting that they've set it to 5 now. I wonder if that's to account for the stricter attention monitoring. Or maybe it's a reset with the intention of permanent FSD lockout if you hit the new threshold. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
It seems that the strike limit is 5 if you have a in-cabin camera and 3 if you do not.

I don't know what changed over night, but as of this morning 10.8.1 is pretty much unusable for me.

This morning on the way to work, I saw a forward collision warning (set to early) and then shortly thereafter I kept seeing an "automatic emergency braking is disabled" message. I went in to autopilot settings, toggled AEB off and on and it seemed to go away. After that, three separate times I saw the "big red hands - take over immediately" symbol without any sort of indication as to why or what went wrong - it looks like there may be some crashing going on in the 10.8.1 FSD software... They weren't strikes counted against me thankfully. I get to work, park and while sitting still the AEB is disabled message popped up again. Went out to pick up lunch, same scenario - every time I engage FSD I get the 'red hands - take over immediately' warning (no further mention of AEB being disabled though). I tried the dual scroll wheel reboot and the problem persists. I don't know else to try at this point.
I guess FSD was just having a bad day yesterday, everything was fine today... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I found 10.8.1 the best FSD Beta experience I've had in my short time, since getting FSD Dec 30th.

I have a 6 mile trip I do 3-5 times a week from my house to Beaver Creek Ski Resort. There are many Roundabouts along the way. Today MX was less timid approaching then entering each Roundabout. It was also more confident being in the proper lane to make left & right turns. There was much less snow on the roads and less snow piled up along the shoulder which may also have been a factor adding to the positive experience.

Previously I was feeling disappointed with my few prior experiences but am feeling much more confident and encouraged with this Beta.

FSD beta 10.8.1 seems like a further step back from my initial test runs. I've had FSD for 2 years and have been a beta tester for about 4 months. I have to be honest that I'm not seeing that their regression testing has progressed to a point that the product is inching closer to wide release anytime soon. It could be several years at this rate. things like right turn, inability to quickly change lanes to merge onto freeway ramp, changing lanes in middle of busy intersection with cars approaching and turning. all things that are extremely dangerous actions and have not improved in 4 months of beta testing. I think Tesla has committed to vision based with cameras and collection of data to improve training and inference for machine learning. However, I think the hardware may ultimately be a limiting factor and lead to a rethink and new design. I don't see them solving these incredible challenges through software updates alone.

I found 10.8.1 the best FSD Beta experience I've had in my short time, since getting FSD Dec 30th.

I have a 6 mile trip I do 3-5 times a week from my house to Beaver Creek Ski Resort. There are many Roundabouts along the way. Today MX was less timid approaching then entering each Roundabout. It was also more confident being in the proper lane to make left & right turns. There was much less snow on the roads and less snow piled up along the shoulder which may also have been a factor adding to the positive experience.

Previously I was feeling disappointed with my few prior experiences but am feeling much more confident and encouraged with this Beta.
Curious if 10.8.1 stops at each roundabout before entering? FSD for me has never entered without stopping, but at least it only stops now for about 2 seconds. It used to be close to 10 seconds so at least it is improving.

Reactions: impastu
Curious if 10.8.1 stops at each roundabout before entering? FSD for me has never entered without stopping, but at least it only stops now for about 2 seconds. It used to be close to 10 seconds so at least it is improving.
My experience is that it enters (too fast) without stopping, but it doesn’t recognize a roundabout or anticipate the curve so it stops or slows down half way. I think this is fixable with programming. They just have to smooth out the turning. They also need to look at the map and anticipate a roundabout and not just try and navigate de novo.

That said, FSD is great and I drive with it every day on the most aggressive settings in congested urban traffic. I’m sure I make fewer unintentional lane departures (I notice all the other drivers who leave their lanes).

Reactions: FSDtester#1
only if off-highway, as it doesn't count against you if the classic AP/NOA interface is active. And it's hard to hit 80mph off freeway. not really a concern.
It'll be interesting to see what the rules are, when we have single stack FSD "maybe next month"...! With 75 mph speed limits on highways, it's pretty easy (even necessary/safer sometimes) to push it over 80 on occasion. If that starts to be a 'ding', I'll have to stop using it on the highway. 😞

Just like the minor bug fix version number and Release Notes suggests I believe 10.8.1 is fundamentally the same as 10.8. Every drive is unique and anecdotal and people "seeing" improvements is probably placebo and coincidence. Of 4 drives I had yesterday 2 seems about the same, making the same incorrect maneuvers along the route. 1 was *worse and 1 was a disaster. But in fairness I allowed Navigation (usually override it here) into a congested area just to see how it would do. Nice timing since there happened to be an accident there, with lanes blocked in all directions and people aggressively fighting to get around it. Not sure how FSD or any autonomous system will ever be able to handle this type of situation. May just end up sitting there until the road is cleared.

*Swear I'm suffering from anthropomorphizing since just like almost every drive that starts by making a bone head move and seems to become befuddled and make mistake after mistake on the same drive. Just like a teenager that has lost confidence. Seems to need a "time out" to recompose.🤣🤣🤣

It'll be interesting to see what the rules are, when we have single stack FSD "maybe next month"...! With 75 mph speed limits on highways, it's pretty easy (even necessary/safer sometimes) to push it over 80 on occasion. If that starts to be a 'ding', I'll have to stop using it on the highway. 😞

prolly best to just disengage, pass, then turn it back on. I have to do this anyway when moving into a crowded lane because AP/NOA is too timid.

things like right turn, inability to quickly change lanes to merge onto freeway ramp, changing lanes in middle of busy intersection with cars approaching and turning. all things that are extremely dangerous actions and have not improved in 4 months of beta testing.
Strange experience you're describing there. Outside of the crazy issues I had with 10.7 (must have been a bad deployment), every release I've had seems to be a mild improvement, and they seem to be stacking up nicely. I've also seen comments by others in this very thread and/or on reddit that specifically note improvements on every single issue that you've mentioned.