Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience is that it enters (too fast) without stopping, but it doesn’t recognize a roundabout or anticipate the curve so it stops or slows down half way. I think this is fixable with programming. They just have to smooth out the turning. They also need to look at the map and anticipate a roundabout and not just try and navigate de novo.

That said, FSD is great and I drive with it every day on the most aggressive settings in congested urban traffic. I’m sure I make fewer unintentional lane departures (I notice all the other drivers who leave their lanes).
Normally when approaching a roundabout the map will show the roundabout on the display. If not then your map information is incorrect which probably explains why it enters too fast without stopping. FSD probably just thinks it'a a sharp curve.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
A little bit more on roundabouts with 10.8.1. An ice storm prevented me from testing much with 10.8, but the releases supposedly are the same with regard to FSD beta. I was able to navigate a number of single lane roundabouts easily, but the traffic level was low to modest. FSD beta no longer comes to a complete stop before entering, unless there's traffic in the circle.

It has also stopped using its turn signal before entering a roundabout. Even if using the turn signal when entering is a legal requirement in some jurisdictions, it's confusing to other drivers and the last thing we need is more confusion with regard to roundabouts.

Multilane roundabouts are still a major disaster. Even with no traffic, FSD beta tries to use the roundabout's center lane if the navigation tells it to use either the 2nd or 3rd exit. I find it hard to believe that the cause is faulty local mapping. It seems like a logic error.

If I was to suggest something to the FSD beta team, it would be to always use the outer loop in a double lane roundabout. This seems counterintuitive if any of the feeder roads are multilane but for now I would always have FSD beta use the right lane when entering a multilane roundabout.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
If I was to suggest something to the FSD beta team, it would be to always use the outer loop in a double lane roundabout.
where I come from that would be very bad logic... would very possibly lead to accidents.

double and triple lane roundabouts in UK have often have designated lanes for particular routes... to take the wrong lane would be carnage!

A little bit more on roundabouts with 10.8.1. An ice storm prevented me from testing much with 10.8, but the releases supposedly are the same with regard to FSD beta. I was able to navigate a number of single lane roundabouts easily, but the traffic level was low to modest. FSD beta no longer comes to a complete stop before entering, unless there's traffic in the circle.

It has also stopped using its turn signal before entering a roundabout. Even if using the turn signal when entering is a legal requirement in some jurisdictions, it's confusing to other drivers and the last thing we need is more confusion with regard to roundabouts.

Multilane roundabouts are still a major disaster. Even with no traffic, FSD beta tries to use the roundabout's center lane if the navigation tells it to use either the 2nd or 3rd exit. I find it hard to believe that the cause is faulty local mapping. It seems like a logic error.

If I was to suggest something to the FSD beta team, it would be to always use the outer loop in a double lane roundabout. This seems counterintuitive if any of the feeder roads are multilane but for now I would always have FSD beta use the right lane when entering a multilane roundabout.
FSD for me always stops whether there are cars or no cars in the roundabout. Maybe because they are all multi-lane roundabouts.

10.8.1. Claims say the AP functionality has not changed since 10.8. I beg to differ. This evening, a right turn that all other beta releases has handled perfectly fine was a horrible experience. Plowed into the right turn at about 40mph (which I intervened). Waaaaaay uncomfortable and unnatural. This was a first. Also, left turns seem to be swinging way right to complete them. Totally unnatural behavior (not all, bit some). Some 10.8.1 tidbits are better, some are like WTF?

10.8.1. Claims say the AP functionality has not changed since 10.8. I beg to differ. This evening, a right turn that all other beta releases has handled perfectly fine was a horrible experience. Plowed into the right turn at about 40mph (which I intervened). Waaaaaay uncomfortable and unnatural. This was a first. Also, left turns seem to be swinging way right to complete them. Totally unnatural behavior (not all, bit some). Some 10.8.1 tidbits are better, some are like WTF?
I’ve had this happen multiple times since 10.8, not just 10.8.1. Definitely a regression.

10.8.1. Claims say the AP functionality has not changed since 10.8. I beg to differ. This evening, a right turn that all other beta releases has handled perfectly fine was a horrible experience. Plowed into the right turn at about 40mph (which I intervened). Waaaaaay uncomfortable and unnatural. This was a first. Also, left turns seem to be swinging way right to complete them. Totally unnatural behavior (not all, bit some). Some 10.8.1 tidbits are better, some are like WTF
Click link here on my 10.8 post from Dec 27 and see 10.8 was the same.

Also the swinging right or left behavior for an opposite turn started on about 10.5. Supposedly to reduce curb rash. It did get a little better in about 10.7 or so but still can be uncomfortable. Here is a post I made about this in November.

Last edited:
The mystery of the phantom braking on the 35 mph 1 mile road leading to my street has been solved. It is 2 lanes, with a double yellow line dividing each direction.
It slows down from 3 to 7 mph on every break in that line. So where the double yellow dissappears to allow for a left handed turn onto another street it slows every time. Someone mentioned this may be it a while back. Thank you to whomever it was. Now hopefully it can get fixed!

Normally when approaching a roundabout the map will show the roundabout on the display. If not then your map information is incorrect which probably explains why it enters too fast without stopping. FSD probably just thinks it'a a sharp curve.
I go through a lot of small roundabouts with no pedestrian markings.

What does a roundabout look like on the display, different from a normal road?

I go through a lot of small roundabouts with no pedestrian markings.

What does a roundabout look like on the display, different from a normal road?
The display should look something like this which confirms the map FSD is using has a roundabout coming up on your drive.
Roundabout screen shot.png

Any evidence that FSD beta is reading turn indicators in any way? 10.8.1 almost cut in line at a 4-way stop with this setup: 1st car crossing the intersection, 2nd car facing in my direction waiting to make a left turn onto the cross-street, 3rd car is me. I pull up as both cars are already at the intersection; 1st car is already crossing and the 2nd car is about to go. Instead, the beta sees car #1 cross and starts going just as car #2 begins making its turn. The turning car had a blinker on. I disengaged and snapshotted of course

The mystery of the phantom braking on the 35 mph 1 mile road leading to my street has been solved. It is 2 lanes, with a double yellow line dividing each direction.
It slows down from 3 to 7 mph on every break in that line. So where the double yellow dissappears to allow for a left handed turn onto another street it slows every time. Someone mentioned this may be it a while back. Thank you to whomever it was. Now hopefully it can get fixed!
Huh. That’s interesting. I’ll have to do some testing and see if that explains my issues with phantom braking. Never even thought of this. It also seems to brake sometimes for driveways or where roads “t” into the road your driving on.

Another big complaint (sure everyone see’s this): turns (some) just take too long to complete. It creeps forward for visibility when the rendering clearly shows no oncoming traffic in either direction. What are you waiting for???? I get if the b pillar cams cannot see, but if the rendering is showing nothing, why wait? I always intervene and hit the go-go pedal, especially if someone is behind me. This needs to be improved.

....Another big complaint (sure everyone see’s this): turns (some) just take too long to complete. It creeps forward for visibility when the rendering clearly shows no oncoming traffic in either direction. What are you waiting for???? I get if the b pillar cams cannot see, but if the rendering is showing nothing, why wait? I always intervene and hit the go-go pedal, especially if someone is behind me. This needs to be improved.
One of the more nerve racking problems of Beta. Hate pulling up to a Stop sign with someone behind me knowing even they can see it is clear but Beta wants to Creep and wait and Creep and wait until a car IS actually coming. I tell it to go and nothing (why doesn't it listen😅), they honk their horn but Beta doesn't care or get embarrassed, then I must intervene with the go pedal.

I keep getting pay attention when wearing sunglasses. how many of those in a row on a drive before you get a lockout ? If I disengage autopilot then reengage does the count start over ? I got locked out once already. 4 left and this thing is way too sensitive! But wondering if I get a pay attention warning I can disengage and re-engage and start the account over for that drive. Or do I have to go to park.

I keep getting pay attention when wearing sunglasses. how many of those in a row on a drive before you get a lockout ? If I disengage autopilot then reengage does the count start over ? I got locked out once already. 4 left and this thing is way too sensitive! But wondering if I get a pay attention warning I can disengage and re-engage and start the account over for that drive. Or do I have to go to park.
I know this is a dumb suggestion, but maybe you should try a test with a pair of cheap sunglasses. A lot of people wear sunglasses while driving and if Tesla's nag system didn't account for that, there would be a heck of a lot more complaints.

Tried the latest beta on the way home from the supermarket today. I've never been honked at so much in my life. It took a turn through an intersection at walking speed then preceded to try and cut someone off. A couple of miles down the road was a red light with cars stopped in front of it, it made no attempt to slow the car when I was approaching the intersection so I stepped on the brake because either they don't understand red lights or their algorithm is to stop at the last second rather than slowing gradually, it pulled the same stunt with the last version also.