Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is 2021.44.30.10 fad beta 10.9? Just looked at app and it was auto downloading.
I always have to approve. I have never seen a push without me having to authorize.

Update: it did not auto install, just auto download. 😑 I had to OK the install.

BTW is @jebinc still alive or did the authorities finally find his shack in the mountains and arrest him?

Last edited:
Went for a second drive yesterday during rush hour. (rush hour is a relative term, I think of it as a game of musical chairs, it doesn't matter how many chairs or people play the problem is there are always one to few chairs) Part of the drive highway and part city. I have added one additional setting to the AP, that is, I set the speed selector to a +10 mph, I have done this because I (my opinion) believe the greatest danger comes from behind the car. The car will accelerate until it gets within a certain distance of the car ahead but cannot control the distance of the following car. Also when entering a highway, who's speed limit is 70 mph, without increasing the allowed speed to 80 mph limits the cars ability to merge ahead of a vehicle traveling greater than the speed limit. I can still intervene with the right thumb wheel.
Drove about 10 miles one way had four interventions, one was the car did not appear to be exiting on the exit ramp (highway AP)( I did activate the right turn signal prior to the exit), car did not move into the right lane of a two lane left turning lane (FSD) (it may have moved but not soon enough for me), a straight section of road (FSD) with a car ahead turning right my car was going to pass on the left lane but there was a right turn ahead and I (my opinion) felt it would be to short a distance to get back into the right lane, and finally a right turn into a road at a higher speed with a car following.

WOW, 2 10.9 drives and it was 1st bad and 2ed maybe the worst ever (started 10.2). Just the lowest of the lowlights.

Drive 1) Stopped at red light (already had multiple disengagement) going straight in left lane, right lane is right turn only. As you go through the intersection you must veer over to the right (offset). Car decided since no one was coming to just go straight and drive on the LEFT side of a newly painted Double Yellow Line. Like it was proud it knew how to drive in England. Next was a left only that fishes through a couple of islands. All Betas have passed, some with hesitation and jerky but NEVER a fail......until today. Had a lead car (which makes it worse) and stated turning and then decided to just go straight. I just caught it before it hit the curb.

Drive 2) Crossing an intersection that has a near 100% failure rate.....but it added to it today. Was in the right lane as it was going across it started turning right (which it has done countless times). Realized it actually turned on the right signal at the last second which it has NEVER done. A car thought I was turning (my signal on) so was about to make a right in front of me. Luckily he stoped. Had several other stressful disengagement before and after but last straw was when car was pulling up to turn left and a car was trying to turn right onto the road I was on. My car heads straight over on the left side and then just came to a stop in front of the other car and didn't know what to do. Took over and hard right to get tout of the way. My stress was on high and had to let the dumb a$$ human drive the rest of the way.o_Oo_Oo_O

Hope drive number 3 and 4 are better.

WOW, 2 10.9 drives and it was 1st bad and 2ed maybe the worst ever (started 10.2). Just the lowest of the lowlights.

Drive 1) Stopped at red light (already had multiple disengagement) going straight in left lane, right lane is right turn only. As you go through the intersection you must veer over to the right (offset). Car decided since no one was coming to just go straight and drive on the LEFT side of a newly painted Double Yellow Line. Like it was proud it knew how to drive in England. Next was a left only that fishes through a couple of islands. All Betas have passed, some with hesitation and jerky but NEVER a fail......until today. Had a lead car (which makes it worse) and stated turning and then decided to just go straight. I just caught it before it hit the curb.

Drive 2) Crossing an intersection that has a near 100% failure rate.....but it added to it today. Was in the right lane as it was going across it started turning right (which it has done countless times). Realized it actually turned on the right signal at the last second which it has NEVER done. A car thought I was turning (my signal on) so was about to make a right in front of me. Luckily he stoped. Had several other stressful disengagement before and after but last straw was when car was pulling up to turn left and a car was trying to turn right onto the road I was on. My car heads straight over on the left side and then just came to a stop in front of the other car and didn't know what to do. Took over and hard right to get tout of the way. My stress was on high and had to let the dumb a$$ human drive the rest of the way.o_Oo_Oo_O

Hope drive number 3 and 4 are better.
maybe one step forward two steps back rather than the other way around this time.
I always have problems connecting what video channels like Dirty Tesla post and what I actually experience.
Never sure if channels like that have got into the habit of not showing the insane stuff or just that they've been in the beta program long enough for the dev-team to resolve the local issues.

Reactions: impastu
(10.9) Several drives today, overcast roads wet. Settings were normal, average and +10 to posted speed. First drive about 4 miles with unprotected left turn and protected right turn both done well, gentle curving four lane road where the car stayed in the left lane which is what I would have done as well knowing that in about one mile the right lane ended (that's a +1, in the past the care always went into the right lane just before it ended.) Car drove to the entrance of the parking lot of the store and made a successful unprotected left into the lot (+1)
Second trip from store 1 to store 2. Car made and unprotected left, little traffic, and navigated using a route I would not have selected because of an unprotected left turn onto a very busy road, I made the unprotected left when we got there. Trip three was from store 2 to home, The car mad a protected left and an unprotected left, about a 7 mile trip with no interventions except for use of accelerator on one unprotected left.

maybe one step forward two steps back rather than the other way around this time.
I always have problems connecting what video channels like Dirty Tesla post and what I actually experience.
Never sure if channels like that have got into the habit of not showing the insane stuff or just that they've been in the beta program long enough for the dev-team to resolve the local issues.
I don’t know about you, but I have certain routes that FSD can handle almost perfectly, and others where it fails constantly. I’m sure the YouTubers probably use routes that they are comfortable using FSD on, hence it looks better than it is.

But I do agree, some of the behaviors I see FSD making on the YouTube channels are like so awesome, when my car freaks out and tries to swerve around what I imagine is most likely a ghost lol.

I don’t know about you, but I have certain routes that FSD can handle almost perfectly, and others where it fails constantly. I’m sure the YouTubers probably use routes that they are comfortable using FSD on, hence it looks better than it is.
I also think they let it ride more than most of us do. Most of us disengage at the first sign of trouble, whereas they will let it go and in the video it is difficult to tell.

BTW, all those raw 1x videos that WholeMars puts out including one yesterday where he just let it drive until he had to takeover (after a full 70 minutes) shows how easy it would be for MobileEye/Cruise etc to put out raw 1x videos on youtube showing successfully driving for an hour.

If thousands of us can't experience for ourselves / have independent youtubers from all over the country put out videos in all sorts of circumstances, we'll not understand the real state of these AV companies.

Last couple weeks we averaged about 13GB/day upload whereas before holiday update 10.8, it was about 3GB/day. I wonder if some of that data has made it into 10.9 as there's some problematic large intersections here that the most recent version seems to complete without issue now instead of wanting to drive into oncoming traffic on 10.8.x.

My technique for sending feedback was to go through all possible left turns of a tricky intersection and hitting the video snapshot button about 10 seconds after exiting the intersection.

Although unclear if regressed in 10.9, but two unprotected left turns resulted in a left-occluded cross traffic driver giving a "WTF" glare.

Just to add to my post above (6185). Did 2 more drives and they were closer to past Beta drives (thank goodness). Even went through a couple of Roundabouts and seemed about the same, stopping before entering and a little jerky still. All my driving was in congested city so no way to test phantom braking. Was overall happy and almost home and........Oops it DID it again. Was making a left turn and no traffic coming the other way and Beta turned into the outside opposing traffic lane and started to drive with the double yellow line on the right side. A car turn onto the street so I had to disengage and not see what Beta would do but..........One of the first rules of the road you learn is TO SATAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE and keep the yellow Lines to your left. Come on Beta this is PRE driving 101.

Also did have one (so anecdotal) right turn at speed and 10.9 decelerated to the perfect comfy speed at just the right rate to make the turn. Didn't come in hot and brake hard while turning. Again it is a sample of one but hope others are seeing this. Dislike the Granny turns we used to have and the PANIC turns we just had in 10.8.

Last edited:
I'm still on 10.8.1 and recently had this happen while using FSD Beta: The driver of this car thought it'd be a great idea to blow through their stop sign as I was going through the intersection with the right-of-way. I slammed on the brakes and prevented a collision. There was no time at all to let it play out to see how FSD Beta would've handled it.

1642711126148.png

First day driving with 10.9 as I haven't left the house since I got it Monday lol.

I'm done with FSD for good after today. For the second time now on a straight road it has sharply turned across the centerline. Today there was oncoming traffic not that far off either. Quickly disengaged, but this seems like a serious showstopper to me.
I've had this happen twice to me with 10.8.1 except there was no oncoming traffic. The one time I was surprised at the force it applied while doing it, I had my left hand on the bottom left part of the wheel with my elbow on the armrest and it actually bent my wrist and pulled my arm away from the armrest. Usually I keep one or both hands on the wheel with my elbow on the arm rests so that all I have to do is tense and my hand will basically jam against the wheel and disengage but this time it actually pulled my arm away from the armrest. (to be clear it wasn't like it was applying so much force it couldn't be countered it was just much more force than normal and it was so sudden that it was able to cross the centerline before I could yank the wheel to take back over) In my experience so far other than that time it's always been very easy to disengage even by accident, I had never had to actually pull the wheel like that to get control before, again not that it was fighting me (the report of that person saying the car overpowered them and forced itself into a crash comes to mind so I just want to make sure people understand that's not the type of thing I am talking about.)

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1

But I do agree, some of the behaviors I see FSD making on the YouTube channels are like so awesome, when my car freaks out and tries to swerve around what I imagine is most likely a ghost lol.
Something I find interesting is there is a route I take to get to a store and the entire way there my car does it with no real interventions other than maybe once tapping the acceleration for convenience, then every time on the way home, same route just in reverse its terrible. Last time on the way there, one tap of the go pedal, the way back 5 disengagements and 3 times stopping it from making a lane change for no reason which would put it in the opposite lane we need to be in for the upcoming turn.

10.9 musings:
  • Overall, positive experience with 10.9 so far. On my normal routes to/from work (10 miles), it's doing pretty well now. I think it will try to kill me only 1 or 2 times. This is down from 10+ interventions from back in 10.5. :)
  • Since 10.8, whenever car is going to turn left or right from a stop or slow speed, it first turns the opposite way a bit, then makes the turn. My corners are rounded, so this shouldn't be necessary to get a better approach angle.
  • When starting from a stop, the car will accelerate a tiny bit, pause, then accelerate some more. It's as if it's seeing if the intersection is clear (it is) before proceeding at normal acceleration. It's more subtle in 10.9, at least.
  • Phantom breaking in less places, but also feels a bit different when it does occur.
  • The ease at which the car will go into the opposite traffic lane to get around a parked car is pretty scary, but smooth. I would be more cautious and have intervened when cars are nearby just to be safe.

Last edited:
I'm still on 10.8.1 and recently had this happen while using FSD Beta: The driver of this car thought it'd be a great idea to blow through their stop sign as I was going through the intersection with the right-of-way. I slammed on the brakes and prevented a collision. There was no time at all to let it play out to see how FSD Beta would've handled it.

View attachment 758023
"There was no time at all to let it play out to see how FSD Beta would've handled it."

You answered the question. FSD didn't handle the situation, or at least not as quickly as you needed. Glad you took control and that you're ok.

I'm having a time (and NOT a good time) with 10.9. Today had the same problem (only worse since I had a lead car) with the car going straight and on the left side of the double yellow line. There was even a car in the other turn lane (like in pic). Looked like an idiot driving towards him. On my next drive first car almost hit construction cones and was jerking the wheel back and forth instead of smoothly changing over the lanes. Then was on 17th St bridge and car needed to change lanes and was driving with signal on but would not change lanes (no traffic hindering) looked at display and the path was back and forth between changing lanes and going straight. AND while coming to a Red Light and did NOT stop. Had to jam the brakes to keep from running through it. Then at the next light made an (nicely timed) unprotected left and then went straight into the opposing traffic lane. No one was coming so let it play out. It then turned on the right signal and got into the left correct direction lane but needed to make a right at a Stop sign. It then tried to get into the right lane at the last second and pulled angled to the Stop Sign blocking both lanes.

That is 6 short drives with 5 times it has driven into the (clearly marked with double yellow lines) opposing traffic lanes. Plus all the other disengagement. Can't understand why 10.9 is sooooooo much worse than 10.2-10.8 for me. PLEASE let drive #7 be an improvement.

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 12.25.07 PM.png

Last edited:
After reading a few posts of members saying their car crossed a double yellow, I thought that would be scary as shiz, thank goodness that has never happened to me. I guess I should stop thinking because for the 1st time since using fsd since September my MS crossed a double yellow on a curvy 35 mph road and if I didn't have a death grip on the yoke I would of likely hit the car coming in the opposite direction. The car made it about 6 inches over the line before I reacted. I am sure it scared the hell out of the other driver. The point of this post is to be super careful with this build. Especially when you have cars or people around you, and thanks for all the comments because I will admit I have been 2 fingers on the yoke most of the time. After reading the posts, I am keeping both hands on yoke and foot hovering near brake and go pedal.

Reactions: nvx1977