Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alan and my method works best, I think, but there is a downside to always holding the wheel. If there is a legitimate emergency, where the car needs to make a big correction to avoid say an obstacle or pedestrian that darted in front of the car, the grip could disable FSD and prevent the car from completing the maneuver. I personally have not had such an event in the 10 months I've been using Beta, but I do acknowledge the possibility.
But presumably the driver would complete the evasive maneuver…since they are driving. In addition, braking (often the most important part!) would still be enabled due to Tesla’s design decision (perhaps why they made that choice).

I do not think this is a downside, because to date, there is no evidence I have seen that FSD has faster reactions than a human.

When that starts happening, we can revisit.

Perhaps this could be an issue in AP if someone drifts into you on the freeway, but even in that case I suspect Tesla has adjusted things to accommodate natural driver reactions (probably increasing override force required). Never has happened to me so no idea.

I keep my hands on the wheel, and apply pretty constant, but light, torque. I almost never get a nag. I know what the car is going to do as it's driving, so when a turn is coming where the wheel must make a larger move, I loosen my grip and let the wheel slide in my hands, then tighten up the grip a bit when the maneuver is finished.
I bought a steering wheel spinner knob and installed it on the lower right of the wheel. when the car is in auto mode I rest my right hand on the spinner knob. If the wheel is turning I can keep a grip on the small wheel and when driving on interstates I can rest my hand on it so the car feels constant resistance on the steering wheel. When I try to grip the wheel lightly I often become to relaxed and get a warning so this works best for me.

I bought a steering wheel spinner knob and installed it on the lower right of the wheel. when the car is in auto mode I rest my right hand on the spinner knob. If the wheel is turning I can keep a grip on the small wheel and when driving on interstates I can rest my hand on it so the car feels constant resistance on the steering wheel. When I try to grip the wheel lightly I often become to relaxed and get a warning so this works best for me.
Aren't those often referred to as "suicide knobs"? :)

Yes. Not sure why. I'm sure someone here will tells us.
Your wish ...

Reactions: old pilot
Alan and my method works best, I think, but there is a downside to always holding the wheel. If there is a legitimate emergency, where the car needs to make a big correction to avoid say an obstacle or pedestrian that darted in front of the car, the grip could disable FSD and prevent the car from completing the maneuver. I personally have not had such an event in the 10 months I've been using Beta, but I do acknowledge the possibility.
I’ve had very poor luck doing that - I either pull too hard and disengage or don’t pull hard enough and get nagged

Your wish ...

20220916_145403.jpg

Reactions: Dewg
I have actually noticed regressions with 10.69... roundabouts in my neighborhood were handled smoothly with 10.12, now 10.69 keeps randomly braking in the roundabouts.
Phantom braking in general around residential streets seems to be more frequent.
It's now ignoring speed bumps that it used to recognize before.
In my local plaza parking lot it used to slow speed to 15mph, now it keeps the main road speed of 30mph when entering the parking lot. GET OUT OF MY WAY!
Also driving MUCH closer to parked cars than 10.12 was.

So far (to me) it seems like the only improvement is the creep boundary, and the unprotected left turn, stop in the median.

I have only driven in my neighborhood since 10.69, but so far it is handling the neighborhood much more poorly compared to 10.12
@valem , I agree that my experience with 10.12 was much better, so far. I have many roundabouts in my neighborhood and 10.69.2 has been scary.

Reactions: KArnold
don’t pull hard enough and get nagged
Not pulling hard enough, and getting nagged from time to time, definitely happens and is just part of using it. And that will certainly happen if you keep your hands off the wheel, anyway!

I would recommend just practicing the holding of the wheel until you get a feel for it. It’s not bad and you can keep your hands in a position of control while also allowing the system to do its thing. It definitely gets easier with practice, as you dial in to the requirements.

Having hands in position allows for easy disengagements with minimal fuss and you can just engage again right after. If the hands are off the wheel, these can be rougher, due to the delay by not having instant steering wheel feedback and getting to the wheel, having to get to the stalk, etc.

So it’s great for increasing disengagements, and getting us on the fastest path to good quality drives.

Just got V. 2022.20.17 which is Beta 10.69.2.2 Did a short drive to the store and back, about 16 miles. Had one phantom slowing. It did the right unprotected oblique angle turn OK and the right turn into the store parking lot. Return was a protected left and unprotected left both done well. Until I have driven this same route several more times I will reserve judgment. I do like the creep lines and verbal announcements.

Reactions: Electroman
Not sure if this is a bug with the Tesla app or the car firmware, but when 10.69.2 was pushed the app would refuse to tell me that there was a software update ready until I physically sat in the car and checked on the screen.

Sure enough, the same thing happened and I’m sitting in my car waiting for 10.69.2.2 to install because the app wouldn’t say no matter how many times I refreshed and relaunched.

Not sure if this is a bug with the Tesla app or the car firmware, but when 10.69.2 was pushed the app would refuse to tell me that there was a software update ready until I physically sat in the car and checked on the screen.

Sure enough, the same thing happened and I’m sitting in my car waiting for 10.69.2.2 to install because the app wouldn’t say no matter how many times I refreshed and relaunched.
I learned of the update (10.69.2.2) from my app.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Happy to report that 10.69.2.2 , so far in just a few trials, has outdone 10.12.2 in my neighborhood Roundabouts and far superior to 10.69.2.

I still think the steering wheel is jerkry, trying to make its mind up which lane to choose. I can't imagine what the vehicle behind me thinks what drugs I'm using, jerking back & forth.

I see many significant improvements in 10.69.2.2 (compared with pre-10.69) but I still often experience a major issue involving lane selection and missing turns mostly on 6 lane roads (3 lanes ea direction) in my area of Phoenix, AZ (Gilbert.) For example, with an upcoming left turn (> 0.5 mi. until turn) showing in the navigation, while the mapping looks correct and the lane recognition looks correct, the system "chooses" to remain in the center lane or in the right most lane until it is way too late to make the lane change to the left turn lane - typically starts trying to get over with just 50 ft or less from the stop line. When there is any traffic at all, there is just not enough distance to make the two or more lane changes all the way to the left turn lane. The blinker comes on but basically all the other vehicles to my left are almost fully stopped and block / make the lane change impossible. Then, the system seems to try to figure out alternate paths and the path prediction jumps right and left, the blinker switches right and left and the steering wheel twists back and forth. Oddly, on some seemingly identical routes, it performs perfectly, but on these numerous others it consistently misses the turn. I've disengaged and submitted snapshots so hopefully this will somehow be addressed in the near future.