Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I tried FSD Beta out this morning, from the period before dawn into sunrise, so I experienced what it was like in darkness and with some sunlight. I drove in my local area to nearby grocery stores and McDonald's. Here's my observations: [ Content respectfully edited for length ]

Thank you for the report!! Keep 'em coming. Maybe some videos? As someone who won't get the beta for quite some time (my current score is 88, sigh), I would love to hear more from everyone, to live vicariously through y'all.

Thanks again!

For those of you worried that yoke equipped cars are excluded, I don't see that happening. There's just no evidence of it other than you haven't received it yet. I think this is just taking a loooong time to roll out. I'm also still waiting (although I drive a yokeless 2017 Tesla). Gotta be soon, right?!
It's kinda obvious all yokes were excluded. Evidence:

1. Multiple people on twitter with 100/100 saying the same thing
2. 6 members in this thread all with Plaids and 100/100 didn't get it
3. Teslafi only including "old" Model S/X with a regular wheel:

1633964227311.png

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Nothing here. Yokes were definitely excluded if all 3 of us didn’t get it, including @MarcG

EDIT: Looking at Teslafi, not a single yoke car got the update.
Yeah, I had a feeling this was coming. A few weeks ago I called out several times on various TMC threads that I thought it would be pretty tricky to catch a mistake FSD made while turning a corner, since the yoke is so oddly shaped.. maybe Elon has been reading my posts, sorry guys 🙃

If you hate your car so much why don't you sell it? It's in the money, sell it for what you paid for it. Otherwise you don't hate it. Or...or..

You don't actually own any Teslas and are just trolling.
It is possible to own a Tesla (or in the case of @jebinc , several) enjoy them, and still not agree with everything that Tesla does.

Do you ever argue/disagree with your wife? Yet you still love her, right?

It isn't always sunshine and rainbows, Mr. nativewolf. We are allowed to still love our Teslas yet still have disagreements with them.

It is you that is the troll, my friend.

Last edited:
For those of you concerned about the aggressiveness has anyone tried changing the settings like Driving>>Acceleration to CHILL or Autopilot>>Customize NOA>> speed based Lane changes to Average or Mild? Not sure either will make a difference. I'll try to test later today.
Didn't matter to me. I have been on chill since the scoring, and my acceleration today on FSD was anything but chill. Not that I am complaining.

We have a 3 and a Y. On the 3 (my car) I had 138 miles yesterday with a total score of 100. In fact, I had 6 straight days of 100 scores from like Wednesday thru Sunday with over 500 miles. Yet didn't get the email or the software download this morning.

So frustrating, cause I've been driving like my mother-in-law for 2 weeks now.

On the Y the score is 93, since it's my wife's car and she refuses to drive like her mother - maybe that's the issue somehow??

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
If you hate your car so much why don't you sell it? It's in the money, sell it for what you paid for it. Otherwise you don't hate it. Or...or..

You don't actually own any Teslas and are just trolling.
@nativewolf Never said "I hated the car," so please stop trolling by putting words in my mouth (fingers on my keyboard) that I didn't say (or type). What I'm "disappointed with," and think is "Horshite," is more a human thing, not the car. Tesla/Elon didn't release the FSD beta to any yoke cars it seems. Why? Because they/he don't trust the yoke that they/he forced (because it was not an option to get a wheel, and still isn't) the yoke on all refreshed MS LR and Plaid purchasers? Seems like it, as of now... And, to add insult to injury "they/he" didn't disclose this up front - No THAT is real stinky Horshite!

So you think that people who paid the most for their cars should get first dibs? If so, then that's a very elitest opinion.
No

I'm saying their highest paying customers should not get burned like this. It was a huge dick move to exclude all yokes without telling us. We should get it equally like everyone else who got 100/100, not first dibs.

Keep in mind that my opinion is based on a one hour drive with FSD Beta, but I whole heartedly agree. This IS going to hurt someone. When it's good, it's good, but when it's bad, it is O M G BAD. In some areas, it drives waaaay too confidently, and in others it's meek as a sheep. And it can go from being good to very, very bad in the blink of an eye.

IMO, this wasn't/isn't ready for wide beta release. Not even close, really.

If not someone active in this topic, it'll definitely be some newly added beta tester. I must say that I'm quite disappointed in it, really. Keep in mind that I'm out in the sticks with edge case driving being the norm where I'm at, but even on well marked, lit, painted, etc. streets it did some really odd (and very unsafe) things, in addition to some real head scratchers where you're just left thinking "what the hell is it doing?" But yes, someone is going to at least do some property damage before the day is out with this thing.

Yes. You can turn off FSD Beta and go back to the public standard release AP at any time.

That kinda depends. To say that I'm not impressed is a huge understatement, but I'm going to stick with it just to hopefully accelerate this thing's learning curve. So I'm going to be beating on FSD Beta all day every day until it either submits in a puff of blue smoke from the motherboard or until it learns to drive competently. The jury is still way out on which way it's gonna go, honestly.

The enhanced visualizations are dependent on the FSD Beta city street stack driving them. The enhanced visualizations are showing you what the FSD Beta city street stack makes of its surroundings, and shows you the planned travel vector on the screen. You can't have the enhanced visuals without that stack currently running.

That's a long way of getting to a short answer: No, you can't have enhanced visuals without running the FSD Beta. I guess you could just not engage the AP and use the visuals, but there isn't a way to use the old school AP stack and run it on autopilot and have the new visuals at the same time.

So now that the replies to all the quotes are done, my one hour drive experience in a nutshell...

For the most part, I agree with the guys that have posted so far. It is way too confident when it shouldn't be, and way underconfident when it needs to be more confident.

And in certain situations, it is very hard to keep your hand on the wheel to keep the thing tamed, as it can spin that wheel at some pretty serious RPM's.

As much as a Tesla Fanboi as I am, I have to say... Elon seriously messed up by expanding the beta this widely.

It's just not ready yet.
@Phlier Nice balanced review!

Reactions: Phlier
It is possible to own a Tesla (or in the case of @jebinc , several) enjoy them, and still not agree with everything that Tesla does.

Do you ever argue/disagree with your wife? Yet you still love her, right?

It isn't always sunshine and rainbows, Mr. nativewolf. We are allowed to still love our Teslas yet still have disagreements with them.

It is you that is the troll, my friend.

Now isn't that the truth!

Reactions: Wolfsbane
Man this thing is fascinating. I haven't done any drives this morning, but it's driving last night was aggressive. I hope they come out with a quick update to dial that back a little bit. It was whipping through turns. Tesla needs to learn to read the "Stop" on the stop signs - rolled through every single one. I'm impressed it does a good job, but it clearly needs a lot of work. But I'll keep driving and testing! That's why I wanted it!

Sounds like you don't like the car. Personally I would not want beta testers who were attracted to the idea of the Plaid cars. I'm surprised you'd think otherwise. Your constant whining about yoke is ...incredibly childish. Altogether I can only surmise that the rollout of the beta is better managed than I thought and that you are likely still not a tesla owner.
@nativewolf Never said "I hated the car," so please stop trolling by putting words in my mouth (fingers on my keyboard) that I didn't say (or type). What I'm "disappointed with," and think is "Horshite," is more a human thing, not the car. Tesla/Elon didn't release the FSD beta to any yoke cars it seems. Why? Because they/he don't trust the yoke that they/he forced (because it was not an option to get a wheel, and still isn't) the yoke on all refreshed MS LR and Plaid purchasers? Seems like it, as of now... And, to add insult to injury "they/he" didn't disclose this up front - No THAT is real stinky Horshite!