Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We think Tesla expanded the pool by around 1,000 to 1,500 people by allowing safety score of 100s into the testers....The email AND opt in buttons clearly tell you that the car may do unsafe maneuvers at any time and not to become complacent. This is early access beta. But some people seem surprised by the "danger" of FSD? This software is NOT ready for the masses! If you didn't understand that, you shouldn't be monitoring it. It's absolutely dangerous in it's current 10.2 state. Be careful. Be vigalant. Know it's dangerous and don't play if you can't be very cautious monitoring it. I think too many of us thought it was closer than it is. It's amazing. It's scary. It's bleeding edge. Be very careful out there and good luck to all!

I would’ve thought it’d be just as easy/easier to catch a yoke since it’s not round and you can just put your hand in its path to stop it?
This is why I'd like to get a video of it... it's a case of a picture is worth a thousand words. If you could watch a five second video of FSD spinning the wheel at max speed, you'd simply go, "Oh. I get it."

I do agree that they do need to bring onboard more testers, that's for sure. Where I think the mistake lies is in adding so many more testers as rapidly as they have, and have planned to add in the coming weeks. But then, it might be a case of "need input" (said in the voice of Johnny Five), and the more data they can cram into the AI, the faster it'll improve. So it might very well be a situation of where they really need more testers.

I just hope no one gets hurt.
I’m guessing they will hold at 100 safety scorers for a couple months. That’s still a fairly small subset of overall fsd owners

Reactions: gearchruncher
Where I think the mistake lies is in adding so many more testers as rapidly as they have,
Adding just a handful of new testers makes zero difference to how many new cases and how much new data they can get. They have currently added about 50% (about 2k testers earlier, including employees). In March Musk tweeted they will first add 2x and then 10x. That is when you start getting a lot of varied data that helps them train the network.

Another point that new testers may want to keep in mind is that FSD Beta does not recognize road closed signs or gates. Elon says this is coming as the neural nets get updated, but the beta will not stop for road closed signs. It's important to stay extra viligant around construction and signs blocking the road.
Personally, I plan to take over at construction zones. From Frenchie's videos we have seen multiple times the car trying to use the closed road.

It's kinda obvious all yokes were excluded. Evidence:

1. Multiple people on twitter with 100/100 saying the same thing
2. 6 members in this thread all with Plaids and 100/100 didn't get it
3. Teslafi only including "old" Model S/X with a regular wheel:

View attachment 720174
Yikes, you're still reaching conclusions based on limited evidence (whopping sample size of 8?). The S and X numbers are still miniscule (at least to me, but I'm not claiming at all to be an expert on fleet numbers). I'm sure someone can point out if the number/ratio S/X Beta installed compared to the overall Beta fleet installs looks reasonable. Or, is there a chance there will be a barfing out of S/X pushes? I sure hope so as I'm still waiting on my 2017 X.

Yikes, you're still reaching conclusions based on limited evidence (whopping sample size of 8?). The S and X numbers are still miniscule (at least to me, but I'm not claiming at all to be an expert on fleet numbers). I'm sure someone can point out if the number/ratio S/X Beta installed compared to the overall Beta fleet installs looks reasonable. Or, is there a chance there will be a barfing out of S/X pushes? I sure hope so as I'm still waiting on my 2017 X.
Jumping to conclusions based on logic and common sense, from multiple different sources (Twitter, TeslaFi, discord severs, this forum, another forum and now Reddit).

It’s not guaranteed that yokes are excluded from the beta but if you have the average IQ, it’s pretty damn obvious that this is the case. I might be completely wrong but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Adding just a handful of new testers makes zero difference to how many new cases and how much new data they can get. They have currently added about 50% (about 2k testers earlier, including employees). In March Musk tweeted they will first add 2x and then 10x. That is when you start getting a lot of varied data that helps them train the network.
Very informative, thanks for that!

From my limited experience with the Beta so far, it would appear that they are in desperate need of the type(s) of data they can get from my area.

I'm more than happy to oblige. :D

On a side note...

My cynical side is surfacing here for a moment...

Elon has stated that this ended up being much, much harder than he ever imagined.

After spending some time with the Beta, I have to wonder... I don't think they have yet discovered or wrapped their collective heads around how hard this problem really is to solve. They think they have, but they haven't.

I feel like it's a "blind man and the elephant" scenario. A blind man is introduced to an elephant for the first time. He uses his hands, and starts to feel the trunk. When asked what he thinks, the blind man says, "Wow, this elephant is very much like a snake!" Everyone has heard this story, right?

I kinda wonder if Elon et al have discovered what lies beyond the trunk yet.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced that this iteration of software/hardware is going to get us to level 5, or even 4. 3ish? Maybe. But the robotaxi dream? Nope.

Yeah... I really hope I'm wrong. There's a very good chance of that; I've been married for 27 years, so I haven't actually been right for 28 years now.

This is one of those times where I will be sooooo happy to have been wrong.

Ah well, it'll be a fun, interesting ride along the way. And I'll be supporting the effort by purchasing FSD with every Tesla I buy from now until Robotaxi starts service.

The yoke was designed when FSD was still on schedule to be out of beta by now. It wouldn't make any sense to put a round wheel on just to beta test FSD when that would just block your view when watching movies once FSD is released.
With respect, thinking that you will EVER watch movies safely in your current car while FSD is running during your lifetime is living in a fantasy world. Face it: it's never going to happen in the car you are driving today. Never.

Just look at the development cycle: they have been promising FSD for 3-4 years, Beta (honestly Alpha) testing it for a year, and it is a rough rough cut by all the reports. Now they need neural training, but the underlying algorithms will all eventually need rewriting and expansion. It is in its infancy at best. Connectivity and bandwidth will always be a problem. The computers in our cars today are awesome, but wholly inadequate for level 4 or 5. People who watch movies while FSD is running will get into crashes.

FSD will be a toy and a social experiment for us all for decades. It is understandably and obviously in need of constant attention.

Last edited:
I'm new to Tesla and this forum and have been reading and watching videos posted here about the FSD beta version that many are trying, with great interest. If I didn't know what the conversation was about I would conclude you were discussing teaching your 16 year old pimply faced son, with a bad attitude, how to drive. I wish you all the best of luck and hope you are successful. The main reason I bought Tesla with the FSD is because, as we got older, it is nice to have a backup, another pair of eyes, to help with the driving. So please teach your son well.

On a side note...

My cynical side is surfacing here for a moment...

Elon has stated that this ended up being much, much harder than he ever imagined.

After spending some time with the Beta, I have to wonder... I don't think they have yet discovered or wrapped their collective heads around how hard this problem really is to solve. They think they have, but they haven't.

I feel like it's a "blind man and the elephant" scenario. A blind man is introduced to an elephant for the first time. He uses his hands, and starts to feel the trunk. When asked what he thinks, the blind man says, "Wow, this elephant is very much like a snake!" Everyone has heard this story, right?

I kinda wonder if Elon et al have discovered what lies beyond the trunk yet.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced that this iteration of software/hardware is going to get us to level 5, or even 4. 3ish? Maybe. But the robotaxi dream? Nope.

Yeah... I really hope I'm wrong. There's a very good chance of that; I've been married for 27 years, so I haven't actually been right for 28 years now.

This is one of those times where I will be sooooo happy to have been wrong.

Ah well, it'll be a fun, interesting ride along the way. And I'll be supporting the effort by purchasing FSD with every Tesla I buy from now until Robotaxi starts service.
You hit the nail on the head. This is a $6,000-$10,000 toy for all of us. It'll be fun, but a Robotaxi? Pleeease.

So you're writing off your entire investment because of a few third-party opinions of beta software? That's a bit premature I think...

I might get it, if they roll out the software to people with 92 driver scores before there's a high profile accident. It's clearly following the path of Smart Summon, stoplight control, etc. You use it a few times and realize that it's too stressful and limited in functionality to be usable on a daily basis.

If there is one “problem” that I doubt will be solved in the near future it is the bizarre routing choices and this is nothing new with the beta. I asked FSD to take me home and it tried all sorts of bizarre turns that no one but a complete stranger would accept. I could imagine letting FSD take me across the country with few interventions simply because I wouldn’t know the best routing choices. But close to home, I have a hunch I will be passing on letting FSD choose my routes for a long time, if ever. (That same issue makes robotaxis seem like a pipedream for a long time.)

So from skimming through the thread since I was last on it at 3 AM I guess nobody with a Plaid has got it yet? It’s all turtle 3/Y. So annoying. This is my 5th Tesla I’ve paid for FSD on. I’ve been driving my plaid like a grandpa for two weeks and heck I have a turtle 3 laying around that I bought for my sister that has FSD but I have not put any miles on it and she’s not old enough to drive yet. Hell if I would’ve known the car I spent 150k on wouldn’t get it I would’ve drove that turd that only cost me 50k. Better come later today or I swear I’m ordering a lucid but I’m gonna take my plot out and get a zero score. Their my venting is done

+1 it also seems like none of the earlier cars that had to upgrade to MCU2/AP3 got it either. So the early adopters and supporters get nothing...

willy-wonka-you-lose.gif

With respect, thinking that you will EVER watch movies safely while FSD is running during your lifetime is living in a fantasy world. Face it: it's never going to happen in the car you are driving today. Never.

Just look at the development cycle: they have been promising FSD for 3-4 years, Beta (honestly Alpha) testing it for a year, and it is a rough rough cut by all the reports. Now they need neural training, but the underlying algorithms will all eventually need rewriting and expansion. It is in its infancy at best. Connectivity and bandwidth will always be a problem. The computers in our cars today are awesome, but wholly inadequate for level 4 or 5. People who watch movies while FSD is running will get into crashes.

FSD will be a toy and a social experiment for us all for decades. It is understandably and obviously in need of constant attention.
While I do agree with the vast majority of your post, I don't agree with the timeline. Decades? Probably not. Decade? Probably.

They have yet to realize how much they have bit off, or how long it'll take to chew it up and swallow.

Elon thinks he has had his epiphany moment of how hard this is going to be to pull off. What he doesn't yet realize, is he has not had that epiphany yet.

With respect, thinking that you will EVER watch movies safely while FSD is running during your lifetime is living in a fantasy world. Face it: it's never going to happen in the car you are driving today. Never.
Ever is a long time.

People routinely overestimate what can happen in the short term, but underestimate what can happen in the long term.