Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 it also seems like none of the earlier cars that had to upgrade to MCU2/AP3 got it either. So the early adopters and supporters get nothing...

willy-wonka-you-lose.gif
I am confused by your remark. TeslaFi’s Firmware Tracker seems to show some “old” S and X owners in their data base got it.

I can't go out till the afternoon. So a quick question.

Do you engage fsd beta by putting a destination address and pressing the "navigate" like you do NOA ? What does the car do if you don't put in a destination address.

I guess I'm trying to figure out whether we can just use AP like earlier, too.
Yeah, in order for it to do the FSD thing, you have to have a destination in the NAV. Without a destination, it pretty much acts like current AP in functionality.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
With respect, thinking that you will EVER watch movies safely in your current car while FSD is running during your lifetime is living in a fantasy world. ...
Seriously you think this will never happen 10 years down the road? I'm pessimistic also for the short term, but after that it is often hard to see how much innovation happens. For watching movies, all that is required, is level 3. How hard will it be to implement this in stop and go traffic on limited access freeway? Doesn't seem that hard.

Reactions: DukeofURL
What does the car do if you don't put in a destination address.

In general it will follow the road straight. But if it comes up on an intersection that it can't go straight it will decide to turn left or right; though I think it normally goes right. (Elon has said in the future it will drive to what it thinks is your most likely destination.)

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
Couldn’t agree more. Why did they even give us the request button if they were going to pull this BS. 5th time I’ve paid for FSD. I swap cars every year and I have a turtle 3 sitting around waiting for my little sister to turn old enough to drive & hers but it has FSD as well. Heck I would have drove that if I would have known. But naturally like a logical thinker I thought that spending 150 K on a premium vehicle maybe just maybe we might get priority for once
I take your questions to be rhetorical in nature!

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier
Just took my maiden FSD voyage with a lunchtime trip to Home Depot in the Chicago suburbs. On the outbound trip, did a rolling start on the expressway (e.g. started with AP and let it hand off to FSD at the exit) and then on the inbound trip started in the Home Depot parking lot. Initial impressions:
  • Lane changes in both AP and FSD seem much more confident than before. Instead of the 3 blinker flashes before lane change, it will sometimes go immediately. For me, this makes it much more usuable because in traffic 3 blinks can mean the difference between an opening for lane change to no opening
  • Otherwise no real changes to AP on expressway, and remains usable enough to relaxing
  • FSD on local roads is fun if not unrefined. It feels like a step above the local street AP that was available prior but is definitely something that has room for growth over time
  • On the plus side compared to local street AP, FSD does not require a lead car to go through green lights and behaves very similarly to local street AP. On straight line travel, it's not bad and is very doable.
  • There is room for improvement turning on intersections. First is that it takes the turns very slowly, so much that I've gotten horns from impatient folks behind me on protected left turn lanes as it went slow enough to get the light to turn yellow. This seems very attainable as the system gets more data and takes turns more comfortably (like the AP lane changes did)
  • Also it tends to not make turns as I would, seeming to under or oversteer, getting close to the curb or next lane. I usually end up taking control so I couldn't say if it hits the curb
  • It is also difficult to maintain the right amount of torque on the wheel as it turns. As cited upthread, the wheel turns pretty quickly and can disengage itself if you're gripping the wheel to tightly. This will take some practice to feather the grip
  • Because of these points, on this maiden voyage I had a success rate of 0% on turns. I'll keep practicing though!
  • One thing that my route was unable to test were flashing intersection signs that FSD treated as a yellow light previously. I'll test this on another route I always take over the next few days.
  • All said, my opinion is that if you were used to local street AP it seems like a good incremental improvement. Currently it seems to be at the level for single drivers to train themselves how to use FSD on well-known routes, but maybe isn't best to use on unknown routes or with passengers. If I were to compare them, expressway AP is like riding an Uber in that it's trustworthy enough to get me from point to point but might make some decisions that I wouldn't. FSD is more like riding with someone on their learners permit, where I needed to be ready to take over.
Interesting stuff and I'm excited to see how this develops. It wasn't so long ago where AP was less refined and it's since become very usuable. FSD should grow similarly.
This almost 100% mirrors my experience. For suburb driving with low traffic, it's really not as scary as it might be for some of the other posters in cities or areas with weird lights and lots of construction, or narrow roads.

I disengaged most of the turns for the same reason as you. It disengages almost immediately with minimal torque, and i was worried about curbs. But I did get 1/3 clean left turns that had a curb in the intersection, and 2/3 right turns as well (on my short 7 mile drive)

Reactions: mikelipino
Can anyone please confirm if this is true with a source citing?
I can't confirm it but there seems to be a correlation. I have a Model Y with 100 score with over 1,500 miles. Was out of town and not able to push the beta button on Model 3 until week later. The Model 3 has 60 miles and 99 score.

They both are on the same Tesla account.

Noticed others with multiple Teslas post they did not receive beta.

Anyone else add information?

@darknavi Nice!

Has ANYONE, with a refreshed MS LR or Plaid and a 100 score, get the beta FSD release? ANYONE?
Of course not. He pushed the request button on us and then delete it over a week and now we’re sitting around twiddling our thumbs wondering why we spent 150 K on a car but didn’t get it. I am beyond pissed

What do you mean bumped? Sounds like they just picked 1000 people with perfect scores. I'm sure your specific SKU is not a huge portion of the pool so none got picked this round.
Yeah 1000 people that coincidentally don’t have the yolk. What a coincidence. Not one single person with the yoke has got it. Such BS.

Super frustrating? :rolleyes:

Imagine how frustrated you'd be if you'd paid over $68k over the past 5 years for AP/FSD on a dozen different Teslas and had over 200k miles on Autopilot and didn't get it because you currently drive a Plaid with a measly score of 99. 😢
Wouldn’t be frustrated because it wouldn’t happen. No way I’d waste a Model Y’s worth of money on FSD while averaging almost two and a half Teslas a year(!) over five years. At that point I’d be waiting for the full release before giving Elon another dime for FSD (you do realize you can buy FSD after the fact, right?) because I have more sense than money, but you do you.

But message received, I’ll stop being frustrated about the fact that my brand new car arrived broken and it ended up preventing me from getting in the beta until MorrisonHiker tells me I’ve waited long enough and/or spent enough money.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

@momo3605 Good to hear you had success with the intersections. I'm sure I'll get some successes on subsequent trips.

And I thought the same about the first wave favoring suburb driving. It's in my head canon that the Safety Score isn't there to rate a driver. One could argue that if FSD is successful, you don't need a good driver (except currently to intervene). What the Safety Score is rating is the full driving environment, or how risky it would be to release FSD to the combination of driver and driving environment. If you think about it that way, of course the first wave will favor people in less risky driving environments, like suburbs and rural. After the company can assume the risk of that first wave, then it would add in waves that include more urban users.

I can't go out till the afternoon. So a quick question.

Do you engage fsd beta by putting a destination address and pressing the "navigate" like you do NOA ? What does the car do if you don't put in a destination address.

In my brief outing this morning I used it just as I did autopilot on the street before today. Major difference is stoplights, stop signs and turns now are done by the car. So you don’t need a destination address and I found use of destination addresses wasn’t helpful since the car still makes odd routing decisions. The one thing I did was back off a bit on speed at stoplights and turns just in case it craps the bed.

• Helpful
Reactions: edseloh and Phlier
Yeah 1000 people that coincidentally don’t have the yolk. What a coincidence. Not one single person with the yoke has got it. Such BS.

So what's the feeling on why no Plaid/S LR's getting the Beta yet? Is it entirely because of the yoke or something else to do with the car? They had the Button and the Safety Score.

What would make the yoke too big of a risk (in Tesla's opinion, not ours). I have my reservations about using a spinning yoke, but this is Tesla's system so what matters is their opinion.

Good you are not managing things.

Its not a wise decision to exclude your highest paying customers ...

Esp. because most of these buyers are also the ones who supported Tesla in the early days.
Exactly. Every single Tesla I have bought husband max start with every option. I’ve owned five all the way back to the early days and six if you include the one I bought for my sister that is sitting around until she turns 16. I even bought FSD for that car. Lucid is starting to look more and more appealing. At least they won’t give us these empty promises

Reactions: Sporty and jebinc
In my brief outing this morning I used it just as I did autopilot on the street before today. Major difference is stoplights, stop signs and turns now are done by the car. So you don’t need a destination address and I found use of destination addresses wasn’t helpful since the car still makes odd routing decisions. The one thing I did was back off a bit on speed at stoplights and turns just in case it craps the bed.
To me it seems quality of life of driving on a straight road with the car handling stoplights and stop signs is much improved over the production autosteer with it's traffic light control. There's nothing it really does WORSE than using the old autosteer on city streets.

So what's the feeling on why no Plaid/S LR's getting the Beta yet? Is it entirely because of the yoke or something else to do with the car? They had the Button and the Safety Score.

What would make the yoke too big of a risk (in Tesla's opinion, not ours). I have my reservations about using a spinning yoke, but this is Tesla's system so what matters is their opinion.

Plaid/LR S models also have a different UI compared to 3/Y and older S/X cars. I'm not saying that's the case, but they may not have put the finishing touches on that? Who knows...it could also be the yoke i suppose.

• Informative
Reactions: Dan D.