Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm still kind of unsure how NN "training" is working. Is it recording footage anytime a beta car is driving and uploading that so that it gets better in the future? or is it only recording disengagements? Or only when we press the record button?
That's a simple question, but books could be written to answer it. Give some consideration to watching a few Dr. Know-it-all Knows it all? videos which are excellent (29.5K subscribers). As an aside please know that the name is (as he describes it) sort of tongue-in-cheek because as I remember it his family used to chide him talking about pontificating on a subject and say to him 'OK...Dr. Know-it all'.

This video seems related to your question but I haven't watched it since it first came out in July.

Last edited:
Plus, many roads which are narrow with no curbs or center lines.
Ofcourse - that happens everywhere, including CA. You can see a lot of even dirt road videos by Dirty Tesla (in WI/MN ?). Also, most neighborhood roads don't have center lanes (and a lot of them no curbs) in my place too (WA). Should handle just the same way.

The reason I'm asking is - the promise of the way Tesla is doing FSD is that - it should work equally well all over the US - given that maps are fine and there are no road conditions peculiar to local area.

After my fsd experience yesterday - and watching the video I made of my drive - here is my explanation : FSD videos we see on YouTube "feel" different than when we drive. May be if we had VR 360 videos of fsd drives - we would get a better feel. Anyway, definitely actually driving fsd (or earlier just AP) feels quite different (and scarier) than just watching youtube videos - even if the drive itself is similar.

I figure I'll throw my opinion in here too.

First things first - it's a beta, so I expected it to be rough. It did better than I expected in most places and worse in a couple (legitimately difficult spots, even for humans).

It's really quite good for normal commute traffic (I drive my daughter to school in the morning)... Much better than I was expecting.

It's not quite ready for neighborhoods with stop signs. It will make it - but it will piss off human drivers if they are behind you.

It's a solid beta. Can't wait to help them make it better. :)

While I languish with my 98 score, I have a curiosity question for those of you with the FSD beta release. If you choose not to engage FSD on a trip, is the driving experience--especially maybe the UI--significantly different from other recent software? I ask because I'm a beta kind of guy, and happy to deal with some new or even weird things. But my wife would rather just have a safe, reliable, familiar driving experience. So if she doesn't engage it, will she see the newer visualizations or otherwise notice a changed experience? Thanks!
You can turn off the enhanced visualizations and in fact, those can be saved in a different profile, so you can set one up for your wife. I have one when my wife is a passenger (she won't drive it).

EDIT: To be clear, in the settings you can deactivate the FSD Beta completely. That will disable the new visualizations.

Why do you think in your place it drives so much worse ? Is the map quite defective or the roads very peculiar compared to other parts of US ?
See my response below.
Totally agree, St G needs more beta testers. I never used to see roundabouts when I lived in California, I myself had to learn how to drive them when I moved here. C’mon, Tesla, I’ve got a 99 score, drop the download on me, happy to help:)
I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride. Send me a DM here on the forums if you'd like to go for an FSD amusement ride. :)
After my fsd experience yesterday - and watching the video I made of my drive - here is my explanation : FSD videos we see on YouTube "feel" different than when we drive. May be if we had VR 360 videos of fsd drives - we would get a better feel. Anyway, definitely actually driving fsd (or earlier just AP) feels quite different (and scarier) than just watching youtube videos - even if the drive itself is similar.
Yes, there is much to be said for the difference between watching a video where you can't feel what the car is doing vs doing it yourself. But what I'm talking about are experiences that would be noticeable just by watching video of them.

I'd never really thought too much about how our roads are marked here, but it does seem to really have a problem with one type of road that is very common here. Picture a road that is three lanes wide. One lane each direction, with a "left turning lane" down the middle. The turning lane is demarked by a solid yellow stripe closest to the straight lane, then a dashed yellow line. This pattern is repeated on the other side of the turning lane.

In most cases, my car refuses to enter the turning lane, and will try to turn from the straight lane (which really angers drivers behind me). But sometimes it will just flat out refuse to cross the yellow line to make the turn. At all. It'll turn on the turn signal, start to make the turn, then stop before it crosses the yellow line. It isn't consistent in this behavior, though, as sometimes it will cross the line and make the turn.

We also have this same type of road that is five lanes wide, with two lanes each direction, but with no lane demarcations between the two straight lanes, and a turning lane painted as previously described. So far, my car likes to take this right down the middle, rather than staying in the right lane.

We also have various other markings that I would consider "non-standard," but that's enough for now, as I haven't had a chance to test them all yet.

Bah... this is all so difficult to try and describe; definitely a case of a video being worth a thousand words. The problem is I don't have a GoPro, and my wife doesn't like riding in the car when FSD Beta is being used, so I don't really have a way to take any videos.

So for now, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that it really is as bad as I'm saying. Unless, of course, you want to take a road trip to the beautiful red rock desert and try it yourself. It is really nice this time of year.:D

Last edited:
Totally agree, St G needs more beta testers. I never used to see roundabouts when I lived in California, I myself had to learn how to drive them when I moved here. C’mon, Tesla, I’ve got a 99 score, drop the download on me, happy to help:)
Oh, I forgot to mention...

You know the Bloomington roundabout(s) at the I-15 exit? L O L

I'll just leave it at that. ;)

Reactions: jebinc and impastu
See my response below.

I'd be more than happy to take you for a ride. Send me a DM here on the forums if you'd like to go for an FSD amusement ride. :)

Yes, there is much to be said for the difference between watching a video where you can't feel what the car is doing vs doing it yourself. But what I'm talking about are experiences that would be noticeable just by watching video of them.

I'd never really thought too much about how our roads are marked here, but it does seem to really have a problem with one type of road that is very common here. Picture a road that is three lanes wide. One lane each direction, with a "left turning lane" down the middle. The turning lane is demarked by a solid yellow stripe closest to the straight lane, then a dashed yellow line. This pattern is repeated on the other side of the turning lane.

In most cases, my car refuses to enter the turning lane, and will try to turn from the straight lane. But sometimes it will just flat out refuse to cross the yellow line to make the turn. At all. It'll turn on the turn signal, start to make the turn, then stop before it crosses the yellow line. It isn't consistent in this behavior, though, as sometimes it will cross the line and make the turn.

We also have this same type of road that is five lanes wide, with two lanes each direction, but with no lane demarcations between the two straight lanes, and a turning lane painted as previously described. So far, my car likes to take this right down the middle, rather than staying in the right lane.

We also have various other markings that I would consider "non-standard," but that's enough for now, as I haven't had a chance to test them all yet.

Bah... this is all so difficult to try and describe; definitely a case of a video being worth a thousand words. The problem is I don't have a GoPro, and my wife doesn't like riding in the car when FSD Beta is being used, so I don't really have a way to take any videos.

So for now, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it that it really is as bad as I'm saying. Unless, of course, you want to take a road trip to the beautiful red rock desert and try it yourself. It is really nice this time of year.:D
Please keep us up to date on your perceptions of the robot "learning" your region's street architecture. Will be interesting to hear.

Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
This is very common on the west coast too. Even for me some of the most used roads are of this type.

Currently, fsd beta does not handle turning lanes. You can clearly see this in Chuck Cook's video (where on unprotected left, it won't come to the middle and wait).

May be when you go with @sdmack he can record the drive on a phone ;)

Reactions: impastu and Phlier
So I'm still kind of unsure how NN "training" is working. Is it recording footage anytime a beta car is driving and uploading that so that it gets better in the future? or is it only recording disengagements? Or only when we press the record button?
It's always recording, I don't know if it's uploading everything. Even boring data it collects from it working is useful though for testing regressions.

Reactions: impastu
Yes, but in those videos, (at least the ones I've seen), the car actually *makes* the turn. Often, mine just won't cross the line.
Oh - you are saying the car interprets the lines as non-crossable ? What do the lines look like .. you can probably find some image on the web and post here (or give the link of the google map with such markings). Will be interesting to see whether we have those marking and what it does here.

BTW, definitely send the feedback on this to fsdbeta.

ps :

Here is the standard 3 lanes with middle turn lane. My guess is its the same all over US. I'll check if the car handles this here in WA.

1140-multilane-two-way-left-turn-driving-resource-center.imgcache.rev.web.1000.570.jpg

Last edited:
I hope @jebinc doesn't mind me going off topic... yet again. :D

But I had something happen yesterday morning that's being a bit of a pain...

On my very first drive with FSD Beta, I saved a rather exciting video of a motorcycle nearly crashing. It was good enough that I actually wanted to take the drive in to the house and transfer the footage. As I no longer have my Raspberry Pi setup to do this for me automatically, I had to actually remove the drive from the car and take it in the house. Just as I've done so many times before.

So I un-mounted the drive (medium long press on the dashcam icon until the icon goes away), then, as I'm in the process of removing the device, I get a notification on the screen about there being a problem with a USB device, and to remove it. I kinda thought it was odd at the time, but didn't think too much about it.

I took the drive into the house, transferred the footage, and had Windows do a disk check on it. No problems found. Took the drive back out to the car and plugged it in.

The Viewer app launches just fine, lists the files on the drive, and also plays them just fine.

But the dashcam features refuse to work. I messed with this all day long over the 500 miles I drove, and none of the fixes I tried helped.

I brought the drive back in the house, and it works just fine... No problems reading or writing files.

So today I'm going to try a few different USB sticks and see if I can get them to work.

But I'm curious... has anyone had this kind of problem happen to them? If so, what was the fix?

At this point, I'm thinking that the car itself might have a hardware issue, but I'm not gonna say for sure until I try using a few known-good USB sticks on it.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Oh - you are saying the car interprets the lines as non-crossable ?
Yes, exactly. Today I'll be paying closer attention to the screen to see how FSD "sees" those lines.

What do the lines look like
They are marked exactly as I described earlier... turning lane, with a solid yellow line closest to each straight lane. A dashed yellow line is right next to each solid yellow line, on the turning lane side.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
Oh - you are saying the car interprets the lines as non-crossable ? What do the lines look like .. you can probably find some image on the web and post here (or give the link of the google map with such markings). Will be interesting to see whether we have those marking and what it does here.

BTW, definitely send the feedback on this to fsdbeta.

ps :

Here is the standard 3 lanes with middle turn lane. My guess is its the same all over US. I'll check if the car handles this here in WA.

1140-multilane-two-way-left-turn-driving-resource-center.imgcache.rev.web.1000.570.jpg
That is it, exactly.

Where it really seems to have a problem with these markings is right after an island... if there's an island that prevents cars from using that part of the street, and right after the island ends, the turning lane starts, the car has a real problem with that.

Reactions: EVNow and impastu
I hope @jebinc doesn't mind me going off topic... yet again. :D

But I had something happen yesterday morning that's being a bit of a pain...

On my very first drive with FSD Beta, I saved a rather exciting video of a motorcycle nearly crashing. It was good enough that I actually wanted to take the drive in to the house and transfer the footage. As I no longer have my Raspberry Pi setup to do this for me automatically, I had to actually remove the drive from the car and take it in the house. Just as I've done so many times before.

So I un-mounted the drive (medium long press on the dashcam icon until the icon goes away), then, as I'm in the process of removing the device, I get a notification on the screen about there being a problem with a USB device, and to remove it. I kinda thought it was odd at the time, but didn't think too much about it.

I took the drive into the house, transferred the footage, and had Windows do a disk check on it. No problems found. Took the drive back out to the car and plugged it in.

The Viewer app launches just fine, lists the files on the drive, and also plays them just fine.

But the dashcam features refuse to work. I messed with this all day long over the 500 miles I drove, and none of the fixes I tried helped.

I brought the drive back in the house, and it works just fine... No problems reading or writing files.

So today I'm going to try a few different USB sticks and see if I can get them to work.

But I'm curious... has anyone had this kind of problem happen to them? If so, what was the fix?

At this point, I'm thinking that the car itself might have a hardware issue, but I'm not gonna say for sure until I try using a few known-good USB sticks on it.
@Phlier Don't mind at all; especially given the lack of additional downloads.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and Phlier
My beautiful desert home: Google Earth

You think it's beautiful from space, you should see it in real life! :)

Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated in quite some time. Our house is eight years old now, and it's not shown on Google Earth yet.

Oh, and we also don't have two airports. The airport on the west side of town is no longer there. It was located on top of a butte, and was reminiscent of an aircraft carrier. We used to call it the "USS St. George."

As an example of how out of date Google Earth is, that runway was completely demolished in 2018.

A couple of new observations from my 2nd day with FSD Beta:
  1. It does great at 4-way stops - stops with cross traffic is a bit hit or miss. At stop signs with cross traffic, there is a lot of creeping and then seems like full acceleration maybe in case a car is coming. Let's just say it gets up to speed quickly.
  2. It sometimes has trouble finding the stop line at weird angle intersections, but it will eventually find it.
  3. It is OK to push the accelerator to get it to make the go decision if you don't want to wait for it to finish creeping.
  4. There is no longer a 5 MPH over limit on surface roads. You could theoretically scroll it up to 80 miles an hour - I am not sure why they removed the limit. I think 10 over should be more than enough, but maybe it is to compensate for misread speed limit signs.
  5. It had slightly different behavior at the same turn on different days. Yesterday, it took an on-ramp so late, I thought it would miss the turn. Today, it was spot on. This is probably related to how it sees.
Which brings me to a point I have to remind myself all the time, just like a pre-flight, I have to make sure I clean all the cameras, especially the B pillar cameras which can get some grime on them quickly. If the car is making decisions solely by vision, I want it to have 20-20 vision, not me without glasses.

1634062949129.png