Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My beautiful desert home: Google Earth

You think it's beautiful from space, you should see it in real life! :)

Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated in quite some time. Our house is eight years old now, and it's not shown on Google Earth yet.

Oh, and we also don't have two airports. The airport on the west side of town is no longer there. It was located on top of a butte, and was reminiscent of an aircraft carrier. We used to call it the "USS St. George."

As an example of how out of date Google Earth is, that runway was completely demolished in 2018.
Did they run out of road paint when they built your town? Because either that or it's been burned clean off the roads.

Anyone else’s FSD visualizations no longer expanded?? I tried toggling the expanded option off and on, but my visuals are no longer expanded when FSD is engaged, they are just regular sized
If the music player is already hidden, you might need to swipe up on the navigation directions to minimize them.

Last edited:
I wonder if Tesla actually needs us to test the beta. If so, they do a really poor job of letting us know what they're interested in. With that, I don't think they want / need us to test?
The early testers that posted on YouTube fell into two camps. Some were looking for the most challenging edge cases while others were just driving. There was commentary in several videos saying that the guidance the testers got was to 'just drive normally' which would help the AP team. I will assume that for us newbies just using 10.2 will be useful to the process. That's what I intend to do.

Mine uploads clips as soon as it comes home and joins wifi again. The car only has 64 GB of onboard storage and probably a small % that's actually free, and the clips are really large (many gigs), so I think on a longer drive without Wifi it will quickly run out of space to store them.

Highways are now worse with FSD. Some lane wondering which I haven't had for a long time. One reason why I am going to recalibrate the cameras. I am optimistic FSD will improve after that.

Hey! Please let us know the method you use to recalibrate and also the result! Maybe we all need to recalibrate? We are moving from sensors to full vision soooo maybe a hard recalibration is needed to help get rid of some of the weirdness

• Funny
Reactions: edseloh and KArnold
Highways are now worse with FSD. Some lane wondering which I haven't had for a long time. One reason why I am going to recalibrate the cameras. I am optimistic FSD will improve after that.
Do you have a radar-equipped vehicle? Because as I understand it radar-equipped vehicles are running a different vision-only version of NOA now, and that might well be different than the radar plus vision. Even though they obviously both use vision for lane lines, they appear to be different code (not just layered and merged in some way which renders lane line following unmodified).

Just a thought for why behavior might change. I have a radar-equipped vehicle and have noticed no change in NOA performance but I have a very limited time period of evaluation (about 10 minutes).

People have been asking whether disabling the beta reverts to the non-Tesla Vision version. I haven’t had a chance to check this yet. I suspect it does not allow to run the radar (my interpretation of the intro email) but it is easy to confirm. Does any one with a radar-equipped vehicle know if you can set cruise speed above 80mph if you completely disable the FSD beta in the Autopilot menu?

The requirement to run vision-only (if disabling the beta does not allow radar use) is the only disadvantage to being in the beta program, it seems. In Southern California and the Southwest in general, sometimes it is nice to be able to exceed 80mph (slightly).

sounds like you should just worry about yourself and not how others spend their money.
yeah, I will admit that if I hadn't dropped whatever (7? 8?) last year I wouldn't be dropping $199/mo. Well maybe one month but that would be it. I figure I took a gamble. I tend to keep my cars awhile. The Outback before the MY was the shortest ever at six years. So I have hope that I"ll get an FSD that will actually get me to the store before the kids try to take the keys away*

Maybe I'd feel different if I had bought this say 5 years and several cars ago, but figure it's done. "What me worry" to quote the all-knowing AE Neuman.

* another Tesla Advantage. No keys for them to take

Went for a short drive. Got some unexpected issues.
- On a wide road with side markings but no center line, the car wanted to drive in the center, which looks really bad. But the, when a car came in the opposite direction, it bailed out asking me to take over immediately.
- On another road with side markings but no center line, the car slowed down unexpectedly. I pressed the accelerator - and it disengaged ?!
- On other streets with no side lines (and no center lines), it behaves as expected. Driving somewhat towards the center/right and waving in and out for stopped cars and oncoming traffic.
- It was very hesitant at the start of a small round about - but completed it finally, but very jittery. The main difference is - we look at the round about, see that there is no traffic and proceed without hesitating at the start (ofcourse the turn won't be jittery)
- Handled a couple of stop signs smoothly.

I need to drive alone (without kids) and during non-peak hours to figure out what's happening with sudden slowdowns and disengagements.

@Phlier Is the problem you have with unmarked roads like the issues above ?

May be I should start a separate thread to keep track of all the issues. May be even a common spreadsheet ?

If they don’t need us to test, my car is sure uploading a ton of worthless data.

Edit to add: If you are on a metered internet connection, you DO NOT want the FSD Beta if uploads count against your usage bill.

How do you know? I thought it was interesting to see. Is there somewhere to see what's being uploaded? Or do I put up another wifi dedicated to just the car and look at that?