Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have no idea of how disappointed I am. I know 3 of my closest friend with Tesla FSD passed away in recent months never got to use it. 2 of which worked with top 3 automaker as a sw developer. It wasn't until they started to look deep inside of Tesla sw/hw that with the current component's, there was no way in hell that FSD LV/4/5 was not even close within the reach of completion.

Back in 2016 EM stated that all its vehicles going forward will be produced with all the hardware necessary to achieve full self-driving capability with future software updates which was completely a LIE. Nvidia computer that powered its original self-driving hardware suite didn’t have enough computing power, and the TESLA ended up upgrading the computer twice. Yours and mine don't have the computing power to achieve full FSD. Samsung's FSD HW4 will make it closer but not until HW5 or HW6 comes completed. So yeah Tesla Cybertruck will probably have the HW4 or better known as FSD Computer 2 so I'm stoked about it.

I'm paying $199 subscription of my half baked FSD and god knows how sickening some of you poor souls that purchased at $4k to $10k on an option that will not be even ready to be safely used until probably in next several years. Any yet, you sit there taking it like a champ. I'm so proud that you are taking it for the team. LOL. Stop being a pu$@#y. Take actions and demand what you paid for and stop making excuses for Tesla.

Let me see if we got this straight: You whine and complain about those who paid for FSD several years ago, and then attempt to get the sympathy votes, something about friends who have died without getting a chance to try it. Then you admit you didn't actually buy FSD. Why are we not surprised?

Ten posts, and already on most member's ignore list. Great work! Why do I think you do this in other forums and groups?

Went for a short drive. Got some unexpected issues.
- On a wide road with side markings but no center line, the car wanted to drive in the center, which looks really bad. But the, when a car came in the opposite direction, it bailed out asking me to take over immediately.
- On another road with side markings but no center line, the car slowed down unexpectedly. I pressed the accelerator - and it disengaged ?!
- On other streets with no side lines (and no center lines), it behaves as expected. Driving somewhat towards the center/right and waving in and out for stopped cars and oncoming traffic.
- It was very hesitant at the start of a small round about - but completed it finally, but very jittery. The main difference is - we look at the round about, see that there is no traffic and proceed without hesitating at the start (ofcourse the turn won't be jittery)
- Handled a couple of stop signs smoothly.

I need to drive alone (without kids) and during non-peak hours to figure out what's happening with sudden slowdowns and disengagements.

@Phlier Is the problem you have with unmarked roads like the issues above ?

May be I should start a separate thread to keep track of all the issues. May be even a common spreadsheet ?
I've had the same experiences when there isn't a clear middle line. Have you read or seen anything that talks about how Tesla will solve this issue (given that most neighborhoods don't have center lines)?

Yes, that’s it exactly.

I've had the same experiences when there isn't a clear middle line. Have you read or seen anything that talks about how Tesla will solve this issue (given that most neighborhoods don't have center lines)?

Keep reporting - they will fix it.

If you look at the different scenarios
1. Roads with marked side & center line
2. Roads with marked center but no side line
3. Roads with marked side but no center line
4. Roads with no marked center or side lines

My guess is - they handle all the scenarios except (3). They are treating (3) as a single lane - thats why the car freaked out when it saw an oncoming car.

Keep reporting - they will fix it.

If you look at the different scenarios
1. Roads with marked side & center line
2. Roads with marked center but no side line
3. Roads with marked side but no center line
4. Roads with no marked center or side lines

My guess is - they handle all the scenarios except (3). They are treating (3) as a single lane - thats why the car freaked out when it saw an oncoming car.

The roads in my neighborhood have no side lines but have those "stick up" yellow tabs. The car will sometimes see it as a centerline under some cases. But for the most part does not. So car sees it as 4 but reality is 2.

Therefore it tends to "center" but still stay a bit left, which puts the driver's wheel exactly on the yellow tabby things and drives over them. (reported).

Had a big FSD win on my drive home! Busy 5 lane road (2 lanes each way with center turn lane). Made a left turn at light into the left lane and had about 1 mile to get over to right lane for a right turn. This is a turn onto another major-ish road, so the right lane started backing up pretty early as we sped past a couple dozen cars at 40mph in the more open left lane. I thought, "no way" was FSD going to do this with all this traffic and its hesitations and cautiousness.

We had a few hundred yards left to the get over and I was about to drop out of FSD and take over when it highlighted two cars in light blue color ahead in the right lane with a reasonable gap between them. FSD did a smooth acceleration to match the gap, and quickly and smootly signaled and changed lanes. I swear it was probably better than I could have done. My wife was in the car too and looked over at me with a big grin and thought it was pretty sweet compared to the other struggles she had witnessed on our trip home. :)

I've experienced the same thing, although sometimes it handles it pretty well. What I have noticed is on streets in my neighborhood that have no middle line that are roughly 4-5 car widths wide, with cars parked on each side of the street, it handles that pretty well. My car stays to the right, perhaps a little closer to the parked cars than I would, but when I did a drive with my wife as a passenger, she said there was plenty of room. But on streets that are even wider, but still have cars on both sides, my car will meander into the middle of the road, sometimes past the middle before coming back over to right at the stop sign at the end of the street.

Reactions: EVNow
What’s with the double blinkers?? It seems like a lot of times when I’m about to make a turn..the car will put the blinkers on a bit too early and then turn the off and then turn them back on right before the turn. Seems really weird, but I haven’t reported it

Reactions: Aaf0052
What’s with the double blinkers?? It seems like a lot of times when I’m about to make a turn..the car will put the blinkers on a bit too early and then turn the off and then turn them back on right before the turn. Seems really weird, but I haven’t reported it

I had something similar, in left turn lane stopped at a light (not the first car). 1 left turn only lane, 1 left/straight lane, 1 straight lane, 1 right turn only lane.

While sitting there it kept turning on and off the blinker. Some times one click, then pause. three blinks, pause, one click, etc. Did that for the one or two minutes sitting there.

@MorrisonHiker. Boy, this tweet is sure making its rounds…. As has been reported by @MarcG this guy is in the Tesla EAP program, has a safety score of 95 and is running a firmware version later than the public release. Seems like Tesla is hard at work trying to close the gap and avoid a PR disaster.
Yes, Vincent is well known - 120k+ followers on twitter. IIRC, he is part of a podcast that Musk has appeared on. More like an influencer than your average button pusher.

Yet - its good he got it. That means other yokers will get it too ... "soonish".

ps : Oh yes - he is the "Tesmanian". He is part of the Third Row podcast.

The Third Row is a team of passionate Tesla enthusiasts who share the common goal of bringing the truth about Tesla to the world, in a fun and entertaining way, through a weekly audio/video podcast.

We are members of the Tesla community including Sofiaan Fraval, Omar Qazi (AKA Steve Jobs Ghost), Vivien Hantusch, Galileo Russel (HyperChangeTV), Vincent Yu (Tesmanian), and Kristen (K10).