Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just turned them on where I would have, three blinks or so, then turned them off. Then turned them on again after entering the left turn lane.
For me, the normal behavior of the turn signal is to come on late. Most of the time, the signal does not come on until well in the turn lane, but there are times when it works ok. I counted almost 6-1.0 seconds from when I would normally turn them on.

I have sent feedback that they could double this time. Big issue for cars following close who don’t know I am going to turn.

From all of the videos I've watched FSD seems to perform much better at lower speeds on residential streets. It may take a while for it to "know" the correct speed for these scenarios and in the meantime testers will have to control the speed manually.
Agree. I didn't appreciate the reliance on the mapping data speed limit and how much it affects FSD. Humans drive based on the conditions around them while FSD just zooms to the speed limit which often times is too fast in a residential neighborhood. Good example is the first street I turn onto which has a posted 30mph speed limit. Nobody drives that fast and if you do you're likely to get yelled at.

Reactions: impastu
Looks like the safety score is gone from my app. Is it like that for anyone else?
Been working for me. I have only had one outage the entire time and that was when Tesla scraped the 100's for the release. Has not been unavailable for even a few minutes before or after.

2,182 miles with a 99%
anybody else find it kind of funny that people that don't even drive their cars more than 4 miles a day want the FSD Beta 🤦‍♂️

Last night after a 15 hr work day my car drove me 28 miles home, with zero interventions. There wasn’t much traffic at 10 pm but it was an amazing experience. I had no unprotected left turns and no construction zones to “test” the limits of the system. 😁

It does feel really good when FSD does something well. It's like glimpsing the potential of where it will be some day.

Update,
Calibrated my cameras with no improvement. Model Y. Just emailed FSD beta team to see if they might take a look at the car.
First drive after calibration
  1. First intersection with no other cars, turned left fine then immediately disengaged no idea why,
  2. Went 50 meters and FSD took a very tight on ramp to the interstate. Assume a mapping error but immediately the ramp speed limit showed 65 while still in a tight curve to merge onto the highway. FSD disengaged itself.
  3. Drove 3 miles to my normal exit ramp (major interstate- 495) and FSD would have completely missed the exit if I hadn't taken over. If this was during the day with typical traffic I would have definitely missed the exit even if I took over. On NoA I've taken that exit dozens of times with no problems.
  4. Finally drove a mile or two with no problems but when trying to turn into my small street it went straight for some bushes. I let it go, FSD disengaged itself and stopped abruptly so I had to takeover. The turn is normally taken at 10mph or less but FSD tried it at 25 which is way too fast and is why it couldn't make the tight turn. My street does not display any speed limit and the street I was coming down has a speed limit of 30 which is too fast. Nobody ever drives that fast on it.
Overall as you'd expect FSD is a disappointment to say the least.
Unless I hear back from Tesla I'm hoping for the best when 10.3 comes out.
I initially got many disengagements on turns in FSD, until I realized I was doing it. If you are gripping the wheel while it is jerking back and forth during a hesitent turn, FSD will easily disengage. Let the wheel do its thing without gripping it during the turn. . Keep your hands on the wheel but don't grip it like you would to prevent a nag. It doesn't take much of a tug to disengage as it did before without FSD in AP. If you need to intervene, you can easily then grab the wheel, but otherwise, let the wheel turn under your hanfs without gripping it.

I have 10.2 beta and for the first time ever I had the windshield wipers and the cleaning spray come on automatically during a drive. It was very sunny out this morning with no rain at all. I am 100% sure I didn't engage the spray.
This seems to be one of two changes designed to ensure good vision. The other change is the auto high beam headlights can't be removed from auto.

• Informative
Reactions: edseloh and impastu
@jebinc just one middle of the night thought…yes I’m that boring…wonder if there’s an internal debate about yoke behavior when in FSD. Maybe some in Tesla think it would be more intuitive (and safer) to have yoke at rest while robot is driving and then have a transition in wheel position through a driver-prompted disengagement? If this is being debated it would make sense to restrict rollout to yokes until debate (and possibly programming) is resolved so as not to have a small but growing population have to fundamentally retrain.
AFAIK, the yoke is still connected to a steering column, so this isn't even possible. Also, while I don't have a yoke, I think all this fear of "getting hurt by the yoke" is overblown. The only time the steering apparatus can spin at a "dangerous speed" is when you are moving very slowly. When you are moving very slowly, disengaging by a light touch on the brake should be inconsequential, and then you can grab the yoke that isn't moving anymore anyway.

!!!

So using the freeway and fsd to get youre score up is risky because as you disengage for a moment to exit or enter, you will be punished big for unsafe follow!
Not necessarily, I've seen multiple suggestions that you have 3 seconds after a disengagement before the metrics count. I also have experience that says this is plausible. There is a construction area where I leave FSD on if there is a vehicle in front of me so I don't get unsafe following, and it disengaged yesterday while it was following way too closely. I re-engaged within one second and the app still showed 0% unsafe following for that trip.

you have enough miles to qualify so don’t feel like you have to drive. I don’t think you need more padding. I’m guessing though that Elon isn’t gonna release any more until 10.3 however. He said maybe next week…which might mean next month.
Why are people acting like the old "Elon time" thing is still "the norm"? This 2 week release cycle has pretty much stayed on track for months up until recently, and then it's only lost days. Specifcally, 10.1 was about 2 days behind and 10.2 was about 3 days behind (which probably means that the time between 10.1 and 10.2 was actually 15 days, since it technically wasn't started until 2 days late). If they are close enough next week on Friday, it could come out Sunday night (normal 14 day cycle), but if they push it out a full week (to 19 days after the previous release), it would still come out on the 29th (or, you know, 0:00 PDT on the 30th, technically).

The other change is the auto high beam headlights can't be removed from auto.
Do you know if this is true on the S and X where the switch is mechanical? I mean, is it ignoring that switch's input? Seems like a bad time of year to be force-automating that based on a drive I had the other day, hard to monitor the vehicle's behavior when you can't see anything because it turns on high beams in the fog.

Do you know if this is true on the S and X where the switch is mechanical? I mean, is it ignoring that switch's input? Seems like a bad time of year to be force-automating that based on a drive I had the other day, hard to monitor the vehicle's behavior when you can't see anything because it turns on high beams in the fog.
Great question...does anyone know (and since I have a MX I'll try to test this later today).

Last edited: