Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the FSD Beta on my Model Y this morning, and all the FSD Beta buttons are selected; however, no big screen showing the visualization, car stops at green traffic lights and is not making turns. So it’s behaving just like before. How do you activate the Beta features?
You have to go into the Autopilot settings to turn on both FDS Beta and the updated visualizations. Would've been nice if Tesla mentioned this in the release notes because I did the same thing :)

You have to go into the Autopilot settings to turn on both FDS Beta and the updated visualizations. Would've been nice if Tesla mentioned this in the release notes because I did the same thing :)
Thanks! Yes, for some reason everything was preselected when I looked at it after the update. I drove to the office and did a hard reset, then turned all those features off and on again. Visualizations are still not there. I’ll drive out and lunch time and check it out again. Thanks again for confirming the settings!

Reactions: impastu and jebinc
To the new folks getting added -- Please be VERY vigilant! The system makes a lot of mistakes. But correct it and hit the record button PLEASE!!

I have seen a BIG improvement in intersections it messed up at on MONDAY compared to TODAY on my way to work. So the recordings are helping improve the system. If we all do it religiously over the next few months, wow is all I can say!

Vehicles before August 2017 had HW2 which also came with different cameras. Yes, all vehicles right now need HW3 to get FSD Beta, so the question is basically asking if it works with the older cameras that lack the blue (?) channel. See Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade
Tesla has done a good job of slow playing the former HW2 owners (as opposed to the beloved HW2.5 owners). It took quite a while to get HW3 and MCU2 upgrades, too. By the time my car was upgraded I suspect many of the HW2 cars original owners no longer had the cars.

I plan to keep my 12/2016 S for at least another five years so it will be interesting to see how they handle my peers and me. We paid for FSD FIVE f’n years ago so if the old cameras or other hardware elements of our cars are insufficient I guess I will just hope they do the right thing and either update the hardware or rebate the cost of FSD. I’m not confident either will happen without legal action. (And if a hardware update is done, I would be shocked if that happened within six months.)

Fingers crossed for next Friday’s new batch of FSD installs.

Last edited:
I installed the FSD Beta on my Model Y this morning, and all the FSD Beta buttons are selected; however, no big screen showing the visualization, car stops at green traffic lights and is not making turns. So it’s behaving just like before. How do you activate the Beta features?
To get the big visualization you need to scroll the music bar off the screen.

Tesla has done a good job of slow playing the former HW2 owners (as opposed to the beloved HW2.5 owners). It took quite a while to get HW3 and MCU2 upgrades, too. By the time my car was upgraded I suspect many of the HW2 cars original owners no longer had the cars. I plan to keep my 12/2016 S for at least another five years so it will be interesting to see how they handle my peers and me. We paid for FSD so if the old cameras or other hardware elements of our cars are insufficient I guess I will just hope they do the right thing and either update the hardware or rebate the cost of FSD. I’m not confident either will happen without legal action.
They should be liable for any vehicle from this era that has FSD on the original Monroney (like mine), even if it's changed hands. I assume that any legal action will simply result in a partial refund for the undeliverable Autosteer on City Streets portion of the package. I may be wrong, but I would think that forcing Tesla to give you hardware, rather than some money back, wouldn't be something the court would choose to do. Either way, this is position I assume by default I will be in, unless I regain my sanity and go back to boring Volvo wagons.

Well peeps, I took a 10 mile, semi-challenging route (I.e., mix roads, rush hour, children and school busses) to a breakfast gathering at Shari’s…. Only three interventions, but I think only one was valid - FSD did not recognize a stopped school bus, with flashing lights and stop 🛑 sign extended (children boarding). Other than that, stress level was lower than expected! Here are some screenshots.

While I have not yet read everything, does anyone know how yokers are supposed to report issues and capture video? The visualizations are above the yoke and not on the main screen. I also wonder if there is a way to move the visualizations to the larger main screen, like the 3/Y?

Lastly, and surprisingly, the 2021.36 Yoke improvements update WAS NOT included in this update, sadly.

More to come later. Please be sure to update the tracking S/S. I won’t sleep until I see release dates and times next to all who followed the rules and maintained a perfect 100/100 safety score!

Be safe out there!

70B3097B-9B0C-42FF-BAAD-4859F87C42E1.jpeg
7D2D933D-D5EC-4808-BBCA-FFA79C89E4A5.jpeg
213FB9AC-2F14-409B-8415-08F4243016EA.jpeg
B6A3B787-AB84-464E-AE1A-EAFF68BA18DF.jpeg

@jebinc did you get any updates last night?

I was just updated to 32.26…

EDIT - NVM I just looked up one post and I had no idea that was the FSD build lmao. I was about to start complaining then realized I had beta 🤣

I woke up and saw 32.26 and was like “great, another hotfix for my immersive sound?”. Then I saw your post, went to my car and saw it was Beta…

Last edited:
Has there been any public comments/tweets from EM or the media about today's unannounced release to yokers and others silently excluded on Monday?

The lack of communication from the PR department on anything other than the musical qualities of beenz is UNACCEPTABLE. You should refuse to drive the Beta until you get an apology. ;)

I have seen a BIG improvement in intersections it messed up at on MONDAY compared to TODAY on my way to work. So the recordings are helping improve the system.

Unless you got a software update, no they have not resulted in any improvement. It just does not work that way. Your car’s behavior is fixed (and paradoxically may be extremely variable)!

Reactions: HighZ and mxnym
Congrats to the yokers! Looks like the only ones left that Tesla is screwing over are the early adopters who are equipped with 2.0 cameras.
Unfortunately for us HW2 people, I doubt many of Elon’s peeps who have his ear own these “ancient” cars anymore and he has long ago stopped all of his praise for those of us who bought Teslas when the fate of the company was in doubt. We are old news.

So I went on a quick 2-mile drive in my neighborhood and had 7 interventions.. 2 would’ve been “fatal”, i.e. definite accidents. One would’ve run me into a garbage truck, the other into a median. Ah, the joys of living in the city! ;)

EDIT: just checked my safety score, and sure enough - got dinged for hard braking, which all happened within a second or two of FSD disengagements. I thought those were not counted against us within 3 seconds?

7D1B9E28-9753-46E1-B2EC-933650A6D707.jpeg