Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well peeps, I took a 10 mile, semi-challenging route (I.e., mix roads, rush hour, children and school busses) to a breakfast gathering at Shari’s…. Only three interventions, but I think only one was valid - FSD did not recognize a stopped school bus, with flashing lights and stop 🛑 sign extended (children boarding). Other than that, stress level was lower than expected! Here are some screenshots.

Figured out how to capture and send video in a yoker mobile… Cumbersome.

You have to open the quick controls screen, by pressing the car icon or swiping the main screen from left to right. Then, you have to find and press the small camera đź“· button up top. Not very safe.

Looking forward to seeing other yoker, and other non yoker reviews and video!

View attachment 721827View attachment 721828
Yup, its kinda silly that we can't tap it from the map view like in a 3/S. I get that they're going for a minimalist view, but burying the camera button within a menu isn't safe and is also frustrating.

I've used that button a bunch when capturing random clips, i was hoping it'd be on the main screen for beta...

Anyone who said here there won't be another rollout for months want to admit they were wrong ? Or according to some "lying" ?

View attachment 721885
I admit, I wasn't expecting another roll up before next Friday at the earliest! Glad to be wrong on that. Perhaps everyone's social media input to the influencers/shills made a difference (squeaky wheel gets the grease, kind of effect)?

I took my 1st 10 mile drive and I felt like I had the death grip on the yoke the whole time. I did experience the 462 rotations on the yoke In a split second, but that only happens when you're either stopped or starting and going very slow and you can just let the yoke do it's thing and it's not a big deal. But holy Moly when this thing's ready to go it is way more aggressive than I'm used to driving especially on right turns. If it's a 45 mile per hour zone you're there in a matter of a second

My long running 100 Safety Score got hammered by using beta FSD on my "yoker"… dropped the total score down a notch with this wonderful FSD drive.

37647AAE-38E3-40EE-8F51-E9E6F66E32F1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
But holy Moly when this thing's ready to go it is way more aggressive than I'm used to driving especially on right turns. If it's a 45 mile per hour zone you're there in a matter of a second
They definitely need to tone it down.

My guess is they want to get to the speed limit quickly so as not to get rear-ended by a car coming from the left - But, they already know if there is a car coming close by or not. That should be part of the cost based optimization.

They definitely need to tone it down.

I've had exactly the opposite problem. It's not nearly aggressive enough on major surface streets in getting up to speed. I'm accustomed to being far ahead of other traffic. But also in general in California, people expect you to go.

I basically am always pressing the accelerator from lights. I've played with following distance and such but have to do more evaluation to see whether anything affects it.

On the other hand on neighborhood streets it can be far too aggressive in certain scenarios.

I wish it had better contextual understanding of how fast it should be going. Also I am constantly playing with the scroll wheel for set speed and it doesn't always get the speed limit right. I guess that's going to be a while though.

Last edited:
Do we even really care anymore about our safety scores once we're in the FSD Beta? It's not like we can control what the cars doing

Well, it just might... I could see a scenario where you wouldn't get the next download, or even be removed, if you don't maintain at least a score assigned to that next wave. For instance, if you fall below 99 next Friday, when the new release occurs, you may be out or not get the next release. 98, two weeks after that, etc.

My long running 100 Safety Score got hammered by using beta FSD on my "yoker"… dropped the total score down a notch with this wonderful FSD drive. BOHICA.

View attachment 721915
Interesting on that hard braking score. Though it could have been just one event outside of FSD. Based on my scores, it still appears to me that braking events are masked but I can't see my scores anymore except the overall score in Stats, so it's hard to say.

They say within 3 seconds of a disengagement won't count but perhaps if you're overriding accelerator and then it halts it would ding you. Who knows.

Anyway I don't care. I lost my 100 score for another 700 miles or more due to an FCW (which was on TACC only about 5 seconds after a disengagement) anyway.

Are these the situations where you follow up with an email to explain the video/clip submission with the date of incident and approx time of incident along with a brief explanation of the clip to remove the guesswork from the tesla wizards behind the closed curtains?
Yes, but I must admit I have yet to do that. : /

With how often I'm pressing the Report button where I'm at, I'd spend half the day writing context reports!

• Funny
Reactions: xxMxx and TresLA
Interesting on that hard braking score. Though it could have been just one event outside of FSD. Based on my scores, it still appears to me that braking events are masked but I can't see my scores anymore except the overall score in Stats, so it's hard to say.

They say within 3 seconds of a disengagement won't count but perhaps if you're overriding accelerator and then it halts it would ding you. Who knows.

Anyway I don't care. I lost my 100 score for another 700 miles or more due to an FCW (which was on TACC only about 5 seconds after a disengagement) anyway.
I don't think I was ever outside of FSD, save for the disengagement and reengagement period. Will see how it goes... Not sure the 3s AP grace was applied to FSD release....

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not sure the 3s AP grace was applied to FSD release....

Yeah, no idea. If I had my individual trip scores I would know for sure. But I don't, so very hard to evaluate. I would just say the driving on FSD has been extremely rough and jarring, and that very first night when I could see my safety score I still ended up with 100 in spite of various klaxons and jamming on of brakes by the system. It's so easy for a few seconds outside of FSD/AP to destroy your score if you predominantly use AP/FSD.

Probably users who can still see their score would know the answer.

Anyway, I don't care much. I'm going to try to avoid FCWs in future though. Going to try to get in the habit of always half-tapping the stalk to disengage FSD after a steering disengagement. It's quite disconcerting that TACC is left on. Since it apparently fully obeys traffic lights in TACC still (usually!), it can be quite deceptive and sometimes I think I'm in manual control (unlike normal non-FSD Beta TACC).

Usually the TACC still being on becomes evident when it comes to a halt at a light. FSD Beta is SO BAD at stopping right now. It invariably jams on the brakes early, then releases them...then puts them on again more gently, and then finally, rather than rolling to a nice chauffeur stop, it stomps on the brakes at the last second, jerking the car around. I use Hold stopping mode, so I'm very accustomed to extremely smooth stops at this point (Hold Mode has gotten quite good at stopping correctly).

Last edited:
Yeah, no idea. If I had my individual trip scores I would know for sure. But I don't, so very hard to evaluate. I would just say the driving on FSD has been extremely rough and jarring, and that very first night when I could see my safety score I still ended up with 100 in spite of various klaxons and jamming on of brakes by the system. It's so easy for a few seconds outside of FSD/AP to destroy your score if you predominantly use AP/FSD.

Probably users who can still see their score would know the answer.

I just took a manual ride with lots of gentle braking, to clean up my score for today. I get home and go into the app to see how I did and the score is gone! Logged out and hard closed the app. Reopened and logged back in and still, no score?! I think I cleaned it up...