Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Crazy yoke movements were towards the end

@Phlier @Dan D. @n.one.one
Nice video!

But just so you're aware.... :D

The yoke is capable of spinning far, far faster than that. Unless they toned it down a bit in the revision you guys are driving? 'Cause in my Model 3, it can spin that wheel far faster than I ever imagined.

I wonder if, in addition to adding the Plaid hardware, they toned down the yoke max RPM...

Nice video!

The yoke is capable of spinning far, far faster than that. Unless they toned it down a bit in the revision you guys are driving? 'Cause in my Model 3, it can spin that wheel far faster than I ever imagined.

I wonder if, in addition to adding the Plaid hardware, they toned down the yoke max RPM...
I don’t think they did. Slowing down the yoke max rpm would also mean slowing the turns!

@AlanSubie4Life offer good advice here, seriously. I just returned from a drive in FSD mode, one hand on yoke, and the other on my iphone which was filming this. At the very end, you can see that I could have used another free hand. The car was fine, I was just paranoid with all going on around me as the car tried to squeeze in the lane to the left.

@AlanSubie4Life offer good advice here, seriously. I just returned from a drive in FSD mode, one hand on yoke, and the other on my iphone which was filming this. At the very end, you can see that I could have used another free hand. The car was fine, I was just paranoid with all going on around me as the car tried to squeeze in the lane to the left.

I suggest anyone trying to film - to get a camera / phone holder. Definitely worth it. Currently using my kids ;)

Will probably get something like this ... so that I can use it with my stereo VR camera.

• Helpful
Reactions: Yuri_G and Phlier
I suggest anyone trying to film - to get a camera / phone holder. Definitely worth it. Currently using my kids ;)

Will probably get something like this ... so that I can use it with my stereo VR camera.

I will attempt to rig this flexible neck phone holder to the headrest next time I attempt it. Since I had it laying around the house anyways. $10 on Amazon

7962F834-A24F-402D-A46C-88D73EFCA7D9.jpeg

Reactions: Phlier
Could I say something about a yoke? First of all, the Plaid does not have yoke but rather a rectangular steering wheel. The term yoke harkens back to the way that two oxen were connected to pull a cart. In aircraft it's called the yoke because it controls two axes, pitch and roll, just like connecting two oxen. Also, with most (if not all) aircraft yokes, full aileron deflection (roll) is achieved when the yoke is rotated ~ 90 deg left or right. So the full rotation is only 180 degrees. I think Elon and his engineers should have thought more about this implementation.🧐

Went out for a quick drive around the neighborhood. Three and four rounds with multiple issues. May be I'm not waiting to see "what happens" - but I find the first one strange. I can't be the first one trying it.

The other two can't be very unique either - but could be mapping issues.

- On a T-junction - coming from the joining road that has a stop sign, doesn't seem to wait for the cars turning into the joining road (vertical part of T). Only waits for cars going straight. Had to disengage.
- Could not turn left at a "L" junction. FSD disengaged.
- Could not turn left at a different T junction from the horizontal road to the perpendicular one. The perpendicular road has a divider that seemed to trip it. FSD disengaged.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
As predicted! And now we know at least one reason why the “button” appeared and permission for your data being granted upon pushing it. And you thought it was about you getting beta FSD! Feel like a sucker? I sure do! 🤣

If you have a problem with it, don’t click it. I clicked knowing the would use their data for there businesses. It was part of the deal.

I just had interesting experience. I was on a road with a moderately steep incline and no lines. The car made two right turns perfectly. But when the slope became steeper the car missed a left uphill turn completely. It first started to turn left, panicked then the wheel wobbled and the car proceeded straight, not following the navigation. I then disengaged.

This seems like an innocuous random flub, but it made me wonder if the vision system does not factor in how slope affects the perceived geometry. Elon might have to consult some Escher artwork to figure this out.

I hate to be the party pooper, but I'd recommend keeping one hand consistently on the wheel (yoke) and the other hand ready as well. And not use your phone to film unless it is in a fixed mount (these are much cheaper than a Plaid). You have a passenger with a baby Yoda; they could probably film just fine.

It really actually can do the worst thing at the worst time, and sideswiping someone with your Plaid because someone else swung wide on a left turn and the car did not react and you couldn't react fast enough is probably not high on your list of desires.

Even with the yoke it is possible to keep one hand on it at all times.
I just ordered a mount in case I want to record again in the future

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
All: Be sure to send [email protected] a daily issues list as that will help them make improvements quicker. Here's the list I just send them, myself.

"Team:

I encountered the following issues today, one’s I feel you should be aware of.

1. FSD did not recognize a stopped school bus (stopped in the oncoming lane), with it’s lights flashing, stop sign deployed and children boarding. I was on a two lane marked rural road.
  2. FSD does not see or slow down for dips/crowns in the road/deep potholes, etc.
  3. FSD doesn’t see or turn down my private community road, even though navigation plots a correct path; meaning FSD ignores the navigation path and deviates from it.
  4. FSD struggles with the private road and cul-de-sac leaving my house
  5. FSD struggles with the gate at the top of our private community road, even though the location is homelink geofenced. Seems like additional logic needs to be added for geofenced locations
  6. FSD needs improved fuzzy logic code for dealing with 4-way stops – needs to understand the “pecking order” for when it’s its turn!
Vids should have been updated for all six of these issues.

Thanks you for doing what you do!"

All: Be sure to send [email protected] a daily issues list as that will help them make improvements quicker. Here's the list I just send them, myself.

"Team:

I encountered the following issues today, one’s I feel you should be aware of.

1. FSD did not recognize a stopped school bus (stopped in the oncoming lane), with it’s lights flashing, stop sign deployed and children boarding. I was on a two lane marked rural road.
  2. FSD does not see or slow down for dips/crowns in the road/deep potholes, etc.
  3. FSD doesn’t see or turn down my private community road, even though navigation plots a correct path; meaning FSD ignores the navigation path and deviates from it.
  4. FSD struggles with the private road and cul-de-sac leaving my house
  5. FSD struggles with the gate at the top of our private community road, even though the location is homelink geofenced. Seems like additional logic needs to be added for geofenced locations
  6. FSD needs improved fuzzy logic code for dealing with 4-way stops – needs to understand the “pecking order” for when it’s its turn!
Vids should have been updated for all six of these issues.

Thanks you for doing what you do!"
How are you providing the videos? Just dash cam footage from the vehicle?

Reactions: jebinc
Nice video!

Well I hope so, the spinning in that video felt pretty wild to me lol

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc