Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could I say something about a yoke? First of all, the Plaid does not have yoke but rather a rectangular steering wheel. The term yoke harkens back to the way that two oxen were connected to pull a cart. In aircraft it's called the yoke because it controls two axes, pitch and roll, just like connecting two oxen. Also, with most (if not all) aircraft yokes, full aileron deflection (roll) is achieved when the yoke is rotated ~ 90 deg left or right. So the full rotation is only 180 degrees. I think Elon and his engineers should have thought more about this implementation.🧐
Did you know that Elon calls it a "butterfly"? It's everyone else calling it a yoke and not understanding why he doesn't.

Reactions: pilotSteve

Crazy yoke movements were towards the end

@Phlier @Dan D. @n.one.one
Whats wrong with it ?!

Seems to me their "cost optimization" runs several times a second coming up with different paths making the steering wheel / yolk jerk around. Remind me of the early days of dancing cars. But - dancing cars in visualization is one thing - but jerking steering wheel when you are supposed to monitor and correct mistakes is a totally different thing. How are we supposed to "monitor and correct" if steering wheel (which gives us an indication of what the car is going to do - without looking at the screen) jerks around ?

• Love
Reactions: Phlier
Whats wrong with it ?!

Seems to me their "cost optimization" runs several times a second coming up with different paths making the steering wheel / yolk jerk around. Remind me of the early days of dancing cars. But - dancing cars in visualization is one thing - but jerking steering wheel when you are supposed to monitor and correct mistakes is a totally different thing. How are we supposed to "monitor and correct" if steering wheel (which gives us an indication of what the car is going to do - without looking at the screen) jerks around ?
Maybe later, or early tomorrow, I will try to film the craziest yoke action I can for you all. Round-a-bouts are fun.... left, no right, no left, no left again, wait, up.....

Could I say something about a yoke? First of all, the Plaid does not have yoke but rather a rectangular steering wheel. The term yoke harkens back to the way that two oxen were connected to pull a cart. In aircraft it's called the yoke because it controls two axes, pitch and roll, just like connecting two oxen. Also, with most (if not all) aircraft yokes, full aileron deflection (roll) is achieved when the yoke is rotated ~ 90 deg left or right. So the full rotation is only 180 degrees. I think Elon and his engineers should have thought more about this implementation.🧐

Musk did say that he would consider addressing the steering ratio at some point.

At the risk of doubling down on pedantic, two axes is a misappropriation of axe. The term two axes hearkens back to when dork and gork ingested too much grog and performed original bar-cave brawling. Brawling was serious business back then. Just axe any neanderthal.

all seriousness aside, I think yoke is just fine. Language is fluid and the most important bit is that spoken, written, or other communication has occurred. I think everyone understands that the posters here are not referring to airplanes. If you're not buying that, then I'll claim that it is the proper word by your definition as it ties the two wheels together.

Anyone who said here there won't be another rollout for months want to admit they were wrong ? Or according to some "lying" ?

View attachment 721885
I was wrong, I really thought it would just be a one shot thing and then Musk would say they are gonna stop expanding it. I worked so hard to get both of mine to 100 by what I thought was the deadline.

Reactions: jebinc and EVNow
They really need to add more notifications and alerts about what the car is going to do. There's no visuals around lane changes like highway NOA.

If there's a route-based lane change, it will usually show up in the nav direction like highway NOA, but lane changes for other reasons just kind of happen without any heads up, sometimes I just can't imagine what the reason was. It's just... SURPRISE!! Sudden lane change. It tried to change lanes today just as another Tesla started changing lanes into the same space, so it slammed on the brakes half-way through instead of just moving back to its previous lane.

They really need to add more notifications and alerts about what the car is going to do. There's no visuals around lane changes like highway NOA.

If there's a route-based lane change, it will usually show up in the nav direction like highway NOA, but lane changes for other reasons just kind of happen without any heads up, sometimes I just can't imagine what the reason was. It's just... SURPRISE!! Sudden lane change. It tried to change lanes today just as another Tesla started changing lanes into the same space, so it slammed on the brakes half-way through instead of just moving back to its previous lane.
I had the strange case of the car changing lanes to a lane that was merging with the lane we were on just a couple of hundred feet away. So, after a couple of hundred feet the car came back to the original lane. There was a vehicle in front - but was going at max speed already.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc

Email concerns to fsbbeta at Tesla dot com

Last edited:
  • Helpful

Usually when you have a lane change for other reasons it’s for no reason hence the lack of a notification of the reason.

One thing I noticed is that I’m really not able to pay attention to the visuals. When I watched videos online it was easy to watch the drive and the visual, but when I’m driving my eyes are pretty much anywhere but on the visuals.

Anyone who said here there won't be another rollout for months want to admit they were wrong ? Or according to some "lying" ?

View attachment 721885

I don't know what other people said, and I'm not sure exactly what I said on this topic (I definitely didn't say Elon was lying though), but we'll see! Right now they're still rolling to 100 scores (with VIP exceptions apparently) which I expected would happen after that plan was announced. The original plan on September 27th was 1000/day, and in the context of that tweet, it seemed like it would be good to get in early, since that seemed like an insanely fast rollout. So I thought it was best to get into the first group of 1000, since I thought it was quite possible they would turn off further expansion beyond that soon thereafter.

I'm still not confident that they'll expand much more beyond this. Could I see them expanding a few thousand more to include 99 scores given what has happened so far? Sure, and that's exactly what they say they will do - so I expect it will happen barring unfortunate events this weekend. But it still definitely seems best to be in the first group right now. The math on avoiding accidents seems daunting.

The doubt from some people here was predicated on events which may or may not transpire (specifically people being careless with FSD Beta and having accidents). So statistically, it was best to be in the first group. Happily, nothing significantly bad has happened - yet. This weekend will be a tougher test because it'll probably see a lot of use. It's not a matter of "if" an accident will happen - it's "when." That's a separate thing from assigning blame to FSD Beta though - it may have little to do with it.

I really thought it would just be a one shot thing and then Musk would say they are gonna stop expanding it. I worked so hard to get both of mine to 100 by what I thought was the deadline.

We'll see what happens in the next week. I definitely don't WANT anything bad to happen. But have to be realistic when you're talking about thousands of people driving around - accidents happen, often through no fault of one of the drivers. It's not extremely likely that anything bad will happen, but it could. I still think it was probably wise to be in the first group - plus you have it now rather than waiting two more weeks slogging against the Safety Score. We'll only know the actual answer as to whether it was a "one-shot thing" in another week, or perhaps 2-3 weeks (the "second shot" last night was actually a delayed part of the first shot). It's outside of Tesla's and Elon's control at this point; all we know right now is that they will expand it with 10.3 if there are no untoward events in the meantime (which they can't control).

Last edited:
One thing I noticed is that I’m really not able to pay attention to the visuals.
Fortunately there is no need. The visuals are for passengers, not for the driver. They lag so much that they're rarely useful unless you're at a stop, anyway. Also good after the fact if you want to search for a (potential) reason something happened.

But since you're driving the car when using FSD Beta, there's no reason to be looking at the screen.

Fortunately there is no need. The visuals are for passengers, not for the driver. They lag so much that they're rarely useful unless you're at a stop, anyway. Also good after the fact if you want to search for a (potential) reason something happened.

But since you're driving the car when using FSD Beta, there's no reason to be looking at the screen.
They are reassuring thou. I’m glad to see that it’s able to identify a lot of stuff. Objects (vehicles, pedestrians) seem more stable on the display. And there’s a lot less lag.

The road markings are a little distracting as they sometimes wave around at a pretty quick speed when stopped. I need to get a video of the crosswalks in town… the computer seems to think someone is playing a game of pickup sticks in front of it.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life